Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Beyond the mechanical issues listed above, is there an issue of your marksmanship? How much experience do you have shooting rifles for accuracy from a bench top? Before you can blame the rifle you need to ensure your marksmanship and technique is not the source.

Remove the scope and use the iron sights.

Remove the bipod and shoot off a proper rest or bag.

Thoroughly clean the barrel.

Try better ammo.

Jeez 8 inches isn't a group it's a pattern. Follow above suggestions before changing any parts.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Jeez 8 inches isn't a group it's a pattern. Follow above suggestions before changing any parts.
    An eight inch pattern at 40 yards would be great for trap handicap. For a rifle, not so much
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (09-30-2019), Mark-II (10-28-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Im with the other guys. Get another scope on there and try it before you do anything else. It sounds like the reticle is bouncing around in there....loose lens....SOMETHING.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I’m telling you, it’s the bipod. Take it off and shoot from some sandbags.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

ESnel (09-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    I’m telling you, it’s the bipod. Take it off and shoot from some sandbags.
    It's more than just a bipod... but shooting off bags isn't a bad idea.

Good advice above. Suggest the following as well.

At 40 yards get off the bench and shoot from your hind legs, preferably with a simple set of fixed sights.
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isnt hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

That's crazy- the basic AR is a 2-3 minute gun - lots are very good, my DDM4V5 - will shoot 1 MOA with good ammo. 2 minutes with 55g AE.
    Like the other guys said-Test it with irons off bags- How is the scope mounted? When mounting a scope on a AR you should not bridge the handguard and upper point where the upper reciever pivots around the lower, that is why cantilever mounts are so good for AR's, they allow the scope to be forward enough but the mount remains solidly on the rear section and does not bridge to the handguard. Sure sounds like a messed up scope / mount would be a good place to start.
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    It's more than just a bipod... but shooting off bags isn't a bad idea.
    The big issue with shooting bipod off the bench is preloading the legs, think of it like if your using a sling and pulling the rifle into you. Without any 'tension' on the legs several thing are happening, the bipod connection acts like a swivel affected by both the bullet and the shooter's position, grip etc. If the bipod moves ever so slightly the shooter is 'muscling' the back end to re align the sights. This results in changes in cheek rest, grip, stock placement into shoulder.

Now granted that's a huge spread at a short range so it could also be accumulated error of two or more conditions. At this point we need to create a baseline and then start applying the accessories one at a time.

I'd take everything off and add iron sights, shoot off sandbag rest ,as long as I'm on paper I don't care if my point of aim(POA) matches my point of impact(POI) all I care about is the grouping. Moving POI to match POI can happen latter. If you can get someone else to also shoot a couple strings, it wouldn't hurt.

Now add one item at a time followed by test shooting the same conditions as previous with iron sight. I'd go scope first.

When you get to adding the bipod, can you clamp a something across the bench that you 'push' the feet of the bipod into?

The meat of the topic starts just after 5:30

12. The Following User Liked This Post By ESnel

Doug_M (09-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Beyond the mechanical issues listed above, is there an issue of your marksmanship? How much experience do you have shooting rifles for accuracy from a bench top? Before you can blame the rifle you need to ensure your marksmanship and technique is not the source.

Remove the scope and use the iron sights.

Remove the bipod and shoot off a proper rest or bag.

Thoroughly clean the barrel.

Try better ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Yes, especially the ammo. I have found the Federal AE to be crap for accuracy; not that bad, but 4"+ at 100 yards out of a 1:10 twist 20" barrel. My home loads pattern less than 1/2" using a hot load behind a HPBT match bullet. Get some better ammo, then fix everything else; or you will be just chasing your tail. I would wager ammo will give you the greatest improvement.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast