Getting the Lead Out....

So Iíve been on a ordering frenzy as of the last bit. I want stockpiles high and deep to weather the upcoming storm.
    Brings me to lead bullets, I have no time to get into casting so - Oregon Trail Laser Cast slugs, wadda you think? Pretty hard cast, should be no leading issues to the 1800 FPS range doncha think?

Gonna bulk out for 45-70, 38-55 and 44 RM or are their better alternatives for purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    So I’ve been on a ordering frenzy as of the last bit. I want stockpiles high and deep to weather the upcoming storm.
    Brings me to lead bullets, I have no time to get into casting so - Oregon Trail Laser Cast slugs, wadda you think? Pretty hard cast, should be no leading issues to the 1800 FPS range doncha think?

Gonna bulk out for 45-70, 38-55 and 44 RM or are their better alternatives for purchase?
    Are you planning to shoot down there, or back in Canada? I happened to meet Kurt from Prairie Projectiles (located in Stettler, AB) at the Edmonton Gun Show and was quite impressed with his offerings. Give him a look.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Sorry, I should’ve clarified - Yes this is all for north of the line.... Thanks for the tip! About to look him up.

"...should be no leading issues..." The hardness of the lead has nothing to do with leading. It's strictly velocity.
    Hodgdon's site gives a cast 405 grain TD only .45-70 load that maxes at 1700 FPS. They don't list any cast bullets for either lever actions or "Modern Rifles."
    It's always best to buy components locally though. Shipping charges will kill any cost savings found on line. And you cannot legally export components from the U.S. according to U.S. Federal law.
    Mind you, if your storm is the one that is about to be caused by Junior, having a pile of bullets isn't going to matter.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    The hardness of the lead has nothing to do with leading ? Where do you get this stuff ? Thats makes as much sense as saying that car accidents dont have anything to do with driver error, its all about velocity.

Go ahead. Try driving a 170gr cast bullet made of pure lead at 2000fps (normal speed) down a 30-30 barrel and tell us how that works out for you. You should try it without gas checks too. Enjoy the next 6 hours of quality time youre going to spend with your cleaning rod and a brush while you scrub it out.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Are you planning to shoot down there, or back in Canada? I happened to meet Kurt from Prairie Projectiles (located in Stettler, AB) at the Edmonton Gun Show and was quite impressed with his offerings. Give him a look.
    Can't find prairie projectiles on google, get everything else.

image.jpg
    Got a sample. Haven't gotten around to trying it.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I got their reloading manual with lots of load data in pdf.
    send me a email address if you want a copy.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I've pushed 357 to 1600 or 1700 fps I think from a 20" rifle with no problems. Plain base hardball made by a guy who knows what he's doing. Hardball is not really up to "hard" levels of lead. I know a guy that uses plain 44 to 1800 or more, whatever a full case of 296 does in a rifle. YMMV.