Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 257 weatherby

257 weatherby

Looking at doing some trading to get into a weatherby in 257 weatherby.
    I've never used that cartridge, but everyone tells me it's a laser beam.
    I've also never had a weatherby rifle either. I cant remember what model it is, but its stainless steel, and has a mcmillian stock. It's my brothers, and I remember thinking that was too fancy a rig for the likes of us.
    What are people's thoughts about that make of rifle , and the cartridge?
    And no, I dont reload. I seem to remember being told those rounds are pricey.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

I love my weatherby rifles. There is a huge difference between the Vanguard (made by Howa) and the Mark V. Even differences between the various generations of Mark V. My current go to rifle is a USA made Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 300 weatherby.

For the 257, it's a solid cartridge. Very fast and hard hitting but with very manageable recoil. I have one in a Vanguard.

Ammo is pricey. Basic ammo is $50 per box of 20. Premium ammo is over $100. Reloading is definitely a requirement. You can make 257 brass from 7mm rem mag brass with a single pass resizing.

It's not a caliber for everyone, but most people tend to stick with Weatherby once they try one.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Dewey Cox (10-01-2019)

the Mark Vs from 70 - 94 were manufactured by Howa

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Dewey Cox (10-07-2019)

It’s a great cartridge if you don’t mind burning powder by the handful. Factory Ammo and brass are pricey. I shot hand loads in fresh Nosler brass at first, but bought some boxes of Weatherby’s cheapest line when I found it on sale for not much more than the empty brass would’ve set me back. The 257 is also pretty easy on the shoulder, but hard on the ears.

I’m sighted in slightly above zero at 200 yards, which should, in theory, allow me to get out to 350 or 400 yards by holding on centre of deer with little correction at any range. I’ll have to look up my notes again before season opens....100 grain Sierra Game Kings gave excellent results out of my Vanguard, but after having a couple disappear in flight (breaking up), I switched to 115 gr Barnes Triple X. Not quite as accurate as the Sierras (they were cloverleaf to single hole out of a cold barrel), but good results so far (1” at 100, sometimes a bit under). I could probably tune them to be a bit better but can never seem to find the time....

The Weatherby factory ammunition did fairly well too, these were their standard cup and core offering, not the much more expensive premium loads.
    My walnut Vanguard is the nicest looking rifle I ever paid less than $500 for. Wholesale Sports marked down all the series one Vanguards to 40% off when series two came out. I accidentally walked into the store an hour after they dropped the prices and got the only wood stocked 257 in the system. Then ate macaroni until payday because I shouldn’t have at the time....

The Mark V’s are a beautiful rifle, the bolt is a work of art. The only complaint I could offer is that they tend to be heavy, though maybe that’s not a terrible thing with some of the speed demons that can be unleashed from them. I will own one someday....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Dewey Cox (10-07-2019)

Anything with 'Weatherby' in its name costs more. If you can find it. Cabela's Canada, for example, lists exactly 1 brand, Weatherby(loaded by Norma, so it's over priced to start with.), and bullet weight, 100 grains of ammo at $64.99 per 20. $134.99 per 20 for a 100 grain Barnes TTSX at Reliable Gun in Vancouver. So one must shop around.
    Looking at the ballistics a 115 grain BT seems to be the best. 2357 FPS at 500 yards(not that anybody should take a hunting shot that far away) with 1419 ft-lbs. of remaining energy.
    "...from 7mm rem mag brass with a single pass..." Almost. You need to fire form too. Different shoulder.
    There's nothing wrong with a Vanguard(A Howa M1500 is exactly the same rifle. No .257's in them either.) though. Mind you, Cabela's Canada says they are not available in .257.

Ron Spomer did an interesting article on it here: https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/s...therby-magnum/

I really can't recommend his articles enough. I find myself totally captivated by them and I don't even hunt!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Hidyn

Rory McCanuck (10-02-2019)

He certainly has a flair.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

There are times when purchasing high quality ammo is worth it.

For many who fire only a few rounds a year buy the best you can afford and enjoy the benefits that usually come with top quality.

I have a new set of RCBS dies for the 257 wby, bought them for a guy then he kind of disappeared. It is an interesting round for sure.

Well, the deer are going to think they are being shot by someone serious this year.

20191005_203624.jpg
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

15. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

2012Cvoguy (10-06-2019), JustBen (10-05-2019), kennymo (10-05-2019), R&R Rancher (10-06-2019), road kill (10-06-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast