Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I built a log crib out of poplar/aspen in 2005 and stuck some branches in the gaps. My friends in Viking are still using that blind. I built it mid summer and the deer were walking by it weeks later. Here holes fill with water or slough in. There was a 4 foot square inside that log crib. It was 3 feet tall. Hunting season in AB was in November. Climb in it before sunrise and listen to the deer huff at me. Made one side wind proof for my back.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I can highly recommend insulated walls and roof.
    Even a plywood box to keep the wind off is like a palace.
    If you're up on the top of a hill you want some kind of cover above you so that any move you make isn't silhouetted against the skyline spooking Bambi.
    42" is a good height for the bottom ledge of the window if you want to sit in an office chair, might as well be comfortable.
    A Coleman white gas heater sits under an office chair quite nicely.

Heck, you can even put this on top of a hay wagon to take it out and bring it home every year.

Shack.jpg

Don't make it quite so high though (6'7") or your buddy will name it Dubai after that tall tower they have there, despite GoC coming up with some hilarious names for the shack.
    Also, it causes much foul language when that roof at almost 10 feet high catches an over hanging branch and rips the whole shooting match off the wagon
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Jeez Rory I had a blind that looked just like the one you show, had a half moon cut in the door and a roll of comfortable paper hanging on the wall. Didn't have shooting ports on the sides though, just one big one on the bottom.

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By road kill

Camo tung (10-04-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-02-2019), Swingerguy (10-03-2019)

It would be funny if Rory came out to that shack and found a big coil in it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

road kill (10-02-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-02-2019)

Who owns the hill? And have you ever shot downhill?
    "...some kind of roof over it..." Camouflage fabric. Or a plain brown/tan tarp. The tarp would likely be less expensive.
    "...those little propane heaters..." Cost a bundle to keep a hole warmish. Cold air sinks and the bottom of a hole will get cold. Good boots and staying dry will be best.
    Best of all would be to learn how a proper PBI fighting hole is dug. The Maginot Line was quickly by-passed by guys in tanks. snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Who owns the hill? And have you ever shot downhill?
    "...some kind of roof over it..." Camouflage fabric. Or a plain brown/tan tarp. The tarp would likely be less expensive.
    "...those little propane heaters..." Cost a bundle to keep a hole warmish. Cold air sinks and the bottom of a hole will get cold. Good boots and staying dry will be best.
    Best of all would be to learn how a proper PBI fighting hole is dug. The Maginot Line was quickly by-passed by guys in tanks. snicker.
    Well, the deer arenít likely to call in armour or go for air superiority, so it should work ok.

The roof should slow down the amount of air exchanges in the hole, so the heater should be keeping you from seeing your breath.

A propane sunflower turns -19 into borderline sweater weather inside my cheap pop up blind.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

They must work as all military's use them. Easier to park an old truck with no otor up there though.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By pitw

Dewey Cox (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by pitw View Post
    Easier to park an old truck with no otor up there though.
    Easy easy

2035851A-2A6D-4C46-8BDF-BB772422D72A.jpeg
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

13. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

blacksmithden (10-07-2019), Dewey Cox (10-04-2019), linung (10-03-2019), pitw (10-04-2019), road kill (10-04-2019), Swingerguy (10-03-2019)

I've always had a thing for mid 60's chevys
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

SIR VEYOR (10-04-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast