Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Property Rights

Property Rights

We often say that we don't have property rights in Canada. I thought this was pretty interesting, especially coming from the UN.

In the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) document:

Article 17

1. Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
    2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Docume...ations/eng.pdf

https://undocs.org/A/PV.183

"The Universal Declaration was adopted by the General Assembly as Resolution 217 on 10 December 1948 in Palais de Chaillot, Paris, as the third United Nations General Assembly was held there. Of the then 58 members of the United Nations, 48 voted in favour, none against, eight abstained and Honduras and Yemen failed to vote or abstain." --Wikipedia

Canada voted in favor. It would be interesting to drill into this some more. I'll just leave this here for future reference.
    Last edited by awndray; 10-04-2019 at 01:18 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By awndray

DuhBoredShooter (10-06-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-02-2019), ruger#1 (10-03-2019), Suputin (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    We often say that we don't have property rights in Canada. I thought this was pretty interesting, especially coming from the UN.

In the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) document:

Article 17

1. Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
    2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

https://undocs.org/A/PV.183

"The Universal Declaration was adopted by the General Assembly as Resolution 217 on 10 December 1948 in Palais de Chaillot, Paris, as the third United Nations General Assembly was held there. Of the then 58 members of the United Nations, 48 voted in favour, none against, eight abstained and Honduras and Yemen failed to vote or abstain." --Wikipedia

Canada voted in favor. It would be interesting to drill into this some more. I'll just leave this here for future reference.
    Interesting yes, but we run the risk of trying to have it both ways. We either want the UN or we want out.
    Remember High River!

Voting in agreement to a resolution is still a long ways away from the actual implementation in the respective countries. I won't believe any of it until I see the Canadian Bill of Rights and Freedoms re-written.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Governments respect your rights only when you demand that they do so.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

6. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By CLW .45

Aniest (12-12-2019), IJ22 (10-03-2019), Ohno (10-04-2019), Suputin (12-13-2019), thelegion (12-14-2019), Zinilin (10-03-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Has anybody brought up the point of property rights with Scheer ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    Interesting yes, but we run the risk of trying to have it both ways. We either want the UN or we want out.
    WE, gun owners want nothing to do with the UN, however our country, as a result of our virtue signalling PM has agreed to those UN rules and as such, WE should have such property rights. We don't have to agree with a law to understand that it is the law.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

IJ22 (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    WE, gun owners want nothing to do with the UN, however our country, as a result of our virtue signalling PM has agreed to those UN rules and as such, WE should have such property rights. We don't have to agree with a law to understand that it is the law.
    So, in effect, you are also agreeing to the UN marking regulations for civilian firearms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    So, in effect, you are also agreeing to the UN marking regulations for civilian firearms as well.
    There are lots of laws I don't agree with but they are the law. The govt has to abide by the laws it enacts, just as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    There are lots of laws I don't agree with but they are the law. The govt has to abide by the laws it enacts, just as we do.

UN resolutions are not laws however
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Haywire1

Camo tung (10-04-2019)

While this is true, the leftists conveniently love to jump on the UN's climate change bandwagon. So we should be playing the UN card too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast