Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Bear Spray Work?

An interesting read on the effectiveness of sprays versus firearms.

Fact #1: Bear spray is 98 percent effective.

Fact #2: Your odds of being injured by a bear while carrying a firearm are the same as if youíre carrying no defense at all.

Iíve always taken the scientific studies that arrived at those two conclusions as gospel. And Iíve written articles repeating their findings while arriving at the invariable conclusion that bear spray is better than a firearm when it comes to defending against a bear attack. But you know what? I was wrong.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/240124...ear-spray-work
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!
    Rewarding 4 years of incompetence and corruption with 4 more years, says a lot about our electorate.

Deployment isn’t feasible until the bear is in range, which means it’s attack has begun. All bear spray can do is shorten the mauling time, or help season the user.

Does a bear really move that fast for a fat guy?

Personal preference is a firearm. I'm not going to wait until the charging bear is within spray range to protect myself.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

As we all know the bear will always attack with the wind at your back and in his face...

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By ESnel

Camo tung (10-06-2019), SIR VEYOR (10-06-2019)

I find it odd that it doesn't specify the make, model, and caliber of the hand gun used.

You get one result if you are using a 9mm or lighter rounds vs. 45 ACP or heavier rounds.

Additionally there is no data on if the bear is a mother protecting cubs vs a curious bear that got too close and is deemed aggressive vs a hungry man eater out for lunch.

finally I have to find fault with the data using handguns when the vast majority of the bear hunters world wide will choose a rifle.
    Memeber of NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Carried it but never had to use it back in my survey days. Got curious as to what the real range of it was so I thought it was a novel idea to spray a quick burst up the driveway. Won't be doin that again. The bulk of the spray went about 15 yards but the fine mist that is around it just hangs there until it gets in your face. Instant burn to eyes and nose and of the sort that makes you pretty much useless to defend yourself. I can't imagine any creature getting a face full of this stuff without their head exploding. I think if I ever had to use this now I would follow up with a rifle shot or put some serious real estate between us asap. Fortunately, no dangerous preds to look out for in my area. I guess short answer is that it would work if you used it as per the instructions on the label and were not in panic mode...Good luck with that.
    TomC

I' e used it a number of times. It works okay-sometimes. Sometimes it does not work at all. I would prefer a 9mm handgun over bear spray.

spraying the bear may not work as well as actually chasing the bear. lol

Ever start to type up a response and then say to yourself, “am I really doing a bear defence thread?”

Shot placement is going to count more than calibre choice. A 20 gauge loaded with birdshot will stove in a black bear’s head at ten yards. There’s a a lot of places you can shoot a bear that probably wouldn’t stop it instantly.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

road kill (10-06-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast