Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    I wasn't gonna say anything, but I have to agree. subsonic doesn't make sense. if you want subsonic throw a lance or javelin at it.

Subsonic 300 Blackout semi-auto in an AR15 is a thing to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I dont understand this at all; just buy another cartridge.

If you want to win an offroad competition, it makes no sense to start with a sportscar, which is what rifle styled cartridges are.

If you want a big ball of lead to be subsonic, there are far better options to go with that are in line with the envelope.

Taking something that is supposed to go 2700fps and making it go 1100fps is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying I dont appreciate people being creative, but I can't understand why you would do such a challenge, unless you're under some absurd constraint like you can only have one gun.

Buy something in 50 Beowulf or 44 Magnum and you'll be way better suited to create a great subsonic round.
    Because who needs an ar15 or a pistol anyway!!
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

firemachine69 (10-08-2019), road kill (10-08-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-08-2019)

"...grouse that you want..." It's not the velocity that blows 'em into dust. It's the mass of the bullet. And Ontario at least lets you use an air pistol for that.
    Trail Boss .308 loads are mostly for cast bullets. There's really no purpose for subsonic .308 loads here. The suppressor that use 'em are far too evil.
    "...throw a lance or javelin..." It'd be a javelin or spear. Lances are horse driver tools and don't get thrown. Too long. snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...grouse that you want..." It's not the velocity that blows 'em into dust. It's the mass of the bullet. And Ontario at least lets you use an air pistol for that.
    Have you ever seen the results of a gopher hit by a 26gr 204 bullet doing 4200fps?
    No, you haven't, because there isn't anything big enough left to see.
    A 240gr bullet at 1100fps will punch a hole and sometimes break them in half, but that's real-world observable results, not the nonsense that comes out of your imagination.

So, once again, your statements are 180 away from the truth.
    Keepin' the streak alive...

Trail Boss .308 loads are mostly for cast bullets.
    Do you have any thoughts as to why?
    Please enlighten the class.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Trail Boss .308 loads are mostly for cast bullets. There's really no purpose for subsonic .308 loads here. The suppressor that use 'em are far too evil.
    "...throw a lance or javelin..." It'd be a javelin or spear. Lances are horse driver tools and don't get thrown. Too long. snicker.
    You don't seem to have much knowledge of this topic. Sounds like you have never used a subsonic 30 caliber round to shoot a grouse with. Maybe you should not try to give advice on topics you don't know about?

7. The Following User Liked This Post By WSA

Rory McCanuck (10-08-2019)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....................... NO.

Subsonic rifle bullets, regardless of size, don't turn anything into dust. In fact they tend to wildly over penetrate without causing a great deal of damage because the bullet doesn't expand. Subsonic rifle bullets are more akin to pushing a knitting needle through a soft target. It just pushes soft tissue aside as it travels through. Velocity is what does all the damage.

As to the idea that suppressors must use subsonics to be quiet, that is also a load of hooey. Sound suppressors work just fine with supersonic ammo. Subsonics make them quieter to be sure but subsonics also greatly limit the range and terminal effects of a centre fire rifle caliber.

How about "fun?" Is that a purpose suitable for subsonic rifle cartridges?

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

firemachine69 (10-08-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-08-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12