Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911?

Had quite a few issues with my ruger today, a more detail post will come in a couple days. I'm off for bed, early ipsc match tomorrow
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    The competition and gold cup models are series 70, like a 1911 should be
    From what I have seen lately, these are about as good as it gets; the gold cup has a lot of highly skilled hand fitting, and the way they shoot shows it. SIG's 1911 are exceptional as well; I know two people who have these, and they are a cut above most for fit, finish and function. They both paid about $1,600.00. Their fit and finish is way nicer than my 1911, and make tighter groups; but for what I use my 1911 for, the Sigs are not 4 x better. LOL, and no more reliable. I can hit the 10 and center X consistently at 25 yards with mine in PPC.

If you are buying for quality and want to settle for the best; Colt Gold Cup first, and SIG second.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

lone-wolf (10-13-2019)

The Competition model is quite nice, but I’m not certain I’d sell a Ruger to buy one, which I personally did do (bought a barely used Gold Cup Trophy and sold my SR).

Kinda regret selling the Ruger, but not enough to re-buy one, unless it’s their target model, maybe...

At some point I think every 1911 guy would like at least one example with Colt on the slide.

They started making a “series 70” competition model after I got mine. No problem - I buy the spacer and toss out that firing pin block rubbish. The block very much Does add ounces to the trigger pull, despite what some will say. I tested before and after removing mine.

And it’s annoying to reassemble those little levers, unless you coat them in tacky grease first.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Saturday was the range day for the black badge course, and my ruger was jamming like hell
    But it was also raining like an SOB, aside from a couple reloaded cartridge issues, I never had issues with the pistol like this before.

I'm guessing it was too lightly oiled for the wet weather, today at the miramichi match, it rain fine except for a (borrowed) magazine issue.

Anyways, reliability isn't why I'm considering picking up a colt, the ruger works great.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Yeah my Norc looks like the rifling was drawn on. Or most of the 45 ACP 1911s. My buddy has a SAM 1911 in 45, he was asking me about ordering a barrel.. I asked why? he said it's shot out... I asked him how many rounds thru it? He said 1500.. I said it's not shot out... Hes like there isn't much rifling. I was like 1911s never really did in the first place.
    Robert McC's springfield has 12 lands and groves; I think my Nork has 6 I think. Mine are very deep and visible, and recovered bullets are deeply marked. My Jericho has polygonal rifling (I think Glock does also), and it looks indistinct, but it sure shoots!!!

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Robert McC's springfield has 12 lands and groves; I think my Nork has 6 I think. Mine are very deep and visible, and recovered bullets are deeply marked. My Jericho has polygonal rifling (I think Glock does also), and it looks indistinct, but it sure shoots!!!
    Mark, Its a joke, that clearly went over your head. Not all Springfield's has 12 lands and grooves. This is my first 1911 from Colt, Caspian, Springfield, Norc, SAM, Para. That had this barrel. Plus I like saying that I only paid 450$, while many people settle for a Norc at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Mark, Its a joke, that clearly went over your head. Not all Springfield's has 12 lands and grooves. This is my first 1911 from Colt, Caspian, Springfield, Norc, SAM, Para. That had this barrel. Plus I like saying that I only paid 450$, while many people settle for a Norc at that price point.
    Regardless, it looks impressive.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Regardless, it looks impressive.
    To most that don't own 1911s in 45 ACP. Their rifling can appear shallow compared to other guns and calibers.

The only Colt 1911 I wanted, was a Colt Ace 22LR. I hung around with Dad, at a old basement gunshop in Dartmouth, owned by a older gentleman. He showed me one he had in the original box. I wanted it. Well Xmas that year I got a 1911, just not that Colt.

The frame, and maybe some pins are the only things left from that original 1911 ( 17 years ago maybe ).. But that's getting a CW accessories 22 LR kit.

gold cup,delta elite....great eleven's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Delta Elite is a great gun.

Lots of really good 1911 makers out there these days.

But if you really, really want a Colt 1911... go for it. TBH, I'm looking at the Ruger 10mm so that my Delta can sit in the safe.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast