Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyh View Post
    I was looking at bullet weight available, I couldn't find anything under 120 grain in factory ammo, in Canada. If there is then I would have a hard time justifying a 243 AR even perhaps to myself.

No, not really lmao
    You looking at 6.5mm Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor? Hornady loaded with 87gr V-max is available for the 6mm. It’s so similar to .243 it probably shouldn’t exist, that’s why I suggested it. I’m pretty sure there are or have been .243 chambered barrels out there, the 6mm is just easy to find since it’s the current newest flavour.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I was referring to 6.5 creedmoor as is available in the BCL 102

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    The difference is mostly that thereís a couple barrels sitting at Brownells already chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is necked down from their 6.5, but since thatís more or less a reworked .308 case and the .243 is a necked down .308....well the differences are less than the Creedmoor crowd would care to admit. Velocity about the same, case capacity similar, OAL length not that different.... Other than certain people claiming the Creedmoor round is the new accuracy king on the block, for all intents and purposes itís the same cartridge with mild dimensional changes to the case.

The industry already went through this back in the 50ís or 60ís with .243 Winchester vs 6mm Remington. The practical difference was who could sell the most rifles and get their ammunition carried in every country corner store and gas station on the continent.
    Based on the above, the 6.5 Creedmore is basically the same as the 260 Rem?

6mm Rem is a fair bit longer than 243 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Based on the above, the 6.5 Creedmore is basically the same as the 260 Rem?

6mm Rem is a fair bit longer than 243 Win.
    Pretty similar. I can’t remember what the parent case for 6mm Remington was, performance wise it wasn’t worth arguing about the differences versus the Winchester round.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Pretty similar. I can’t remember what the parent case for 6mm Remington was, performance wise it wasn’t worth arguing about the differences versus the Winchester round.
    6mm Rem is based on the 7x57 mauser. There is a significant difference in potential, especially if one reloads.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Suputin (10-14-2019)

"...6.5 Creedmoor seems like a lot of bullet..." There ain't nothing that as good practice for deer season like varmint hunting. Unless you're hiding hunting, neither the calibre nor cartridge matters. Shot a ground hog one time with a 220 grain Silvertip out of an M1 Rifle(No damage, of any kind, to the Rifle either). The chuck didn't seem to care one way or the other what killed it.
    STAG doesn't appear to make a .243 upper.
    These guys do. Dunno if they export. AR stuff is restricted for export though. Ask 'em.
    https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...ar-15/243-win/
    "...hard time justifying a 243 AR..." "I want one." is a reason. And justifies buying anything.
    SA Inc. used to make the M1A in .243. We had a SuperMatch in the shop long ago. The cost made it a bit daft, but if money hadn't been an object, I'd have one.
    "...screwing a barrel extension onto a barrel..." That is not how one changes cartridges with any rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...screwing a barrel extension onto a barrel..." That is not how one changes cartridges with any rifle.
    Try not to be daft.

I have worked in a professional gunsmithing shop building AR barrels. I build my own AR barrels. Fairly clear on how an AR barrel is made.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

Grizz Axxemann (10-16-2019), JustBen (10-15-2019)

I assume you weren't interested in ground hog pelts

There's a built Stag 10 upper on CGN right now with a Anderson barrel in 243.

I saw that today. Unfortunately I am still in the process of acquiring another gun. But good to see they are available!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12