Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stihl sharpener

Yea, chains are cheap. I just replace them.

I had a look at a few videos of the abovementioned sharpener. Seems some people have a complaint about the angle at which the files are set. The angle is quite steep when compared to the factory angle. Thoughts from people here?

Just go carbide, and skip the sharpening.
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political right’s agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldn’t find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Purdom234 View Post
    I'm lazy. My local Stihl dealer convinced me to buy two chains and bring in the dull one for sharpening. Eight bucks per go. Works for my weekend warrior cutting. My set up:

Attachment 18605
    Lol...my dealer convinced me of the same, must be the corporate sales pitch. I have 3 chains for my Husky 61 and rotate them. Sharpening is cheap, and done right.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Just go carbide, and skip the sharpening.
    I have a bad habit of just saying screw it and cutting logs right on the ground. I think Im running with about 10 chains on 2 different saws that I use regularly and I just change them out when I kill one in the dirt. When Ive got at least 5 dull ones, I pull out my Oregon bench sharpener and do them all at once. My favorite go-to saw is my Husky 445...noticably lighter than my 372. I run an 18" bar on it, and Chinadian Tire still sells Oregon chains that fit for $19.99. I can swap out a chain in about 3 minutes now. Lol. Anyway....the point of my story is that carbide runs damned near forever if youre behaving yourself but it doesnt react well to roadside gravel. As long as I can buy 6 steel chains for the price of one carbide.....Im sure you understand. Its great for some people but not all.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 10-17-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Yea, chains are cheap. I just replace them.

I had a look at a few videos of the abovementioned sharpener. Seems some people have a complaint about the angle at which the files are set. The angle is quite steep when compared to the factory angle. Thoughts from people here?
    I have a smaller husqvarna and stihl saw, both home gamer saws. The angle is correct for them. I saw the same complaint you did.

I run a wood stove in the basement and no way I'm interested in buying that many chains ������

I don't use my saw enough to be good at free hand sharpening but more than buying 15+ chains just because they are a little dull
    YMMV

I own one of these sharpeners for my chainsaw, great product, saw sharp as new every time.
    Liberal party of Canada-Useless since 1867

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I have a bad habit of just saying screw it and cutting logs right on the ground. I think Im running with about 10 chains on 2 different saws that I use regularly and I just change them out when I kill one in the dirt. When Ive got at least 5 dull ones, I pull out my Oregon bench sharpener and do them all at once. My favorite go-to saw is my Husky 445...noticably lighter than my 372. I run an 18" bar on it, and Chinadian Tire still sells Oregon chains that fit for $19.99. I can swap out a chain in about 3 minutes now. Lol. Anyway....the point of my story is that carbide runs damned near forever if youre behaving yourself but it doesnt react well to roadside gravel. As long as I can buy 6 steel chains for the price of one carbide.....Im sure you understand. Its great for some people but not all.

Is there a difference between the regular carbide chains and the rescue-saw carbide chains?

May need to get my hands on a rescue saw, inquiring minds would like to know.
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political right’s agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldn’t find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Is there a difference between the regular carbide chains and the rescue-saw carbide chains?

I have never heard of a "rescue" version. My interest is peaked.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I've never seen a non-rescue carbide chain, but the rescue ones are built stronger.

I've been hand-sharpening chain saws for years ....mostly Huski and jonsereds .... and I was pretty satisfied with the result .
    The wife bought me an easy-start Stihl for my 80th birthday in august and I have never seen a chain go through pine and poplar like what is on that Stihl bar .....so if that sharpener will bring back a like-new edge to the chain, I am seriously considering buying one.
    I fell , block up and haul home about 10 - 12 cords a year .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast