Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stihl sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I have never heard of a "rescue" version. My interest is peaked.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...escue-Saw.aspx
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political right’s agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldn’t find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I have a bad habit of just saying screw it and cutting logs right on the ground. .
    Me too .
    Lately I've been using a log peavy (or two )to raise the log off of the ground.... where practical .

A couple years ago Princess Auto had tree jacks on sale so I bought one and so did my buddy.
    That really helped with the sharpening
    I don't know why I haven't had one for 30 years, they make everything so much easier, even just lifting it that much is so mech better for the back.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I actually took my home built log jack with me on my last trip. I'd have probably gone all day on one chain, but we were dragging the logs up to the trailer with the truck before cutting. They picked up a fair bit of mud along the way. I removed the big chunks before starting a cut, but the stuff that gets embedded in the bark takes it's toll. The fresh Oregon chain that came with my new bar (yea, I actually broke down and bought one) lasted through the first tree. The one I sharpened lasted through the next 2 and would have done more. I sharpen at 30 degrees to the sides, and my angle is 55. I don't know what the factory sharpening specs are, but those setting are working really well for me cutting lodgepole pine so I'm sticking with them. I also cut the depth gauges (rakers) down a little further than whatever the little Oregon check gauge thing is set to. For the first few cuts, things are a little jumpy, but it settles in pretty quick and I get nice big chips.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I made my own log lifter with a farm jack (jackall), a couple of 2x4's, a long bolt with nut, a chain grab hook and a length of chain with hooks. Works real good and can lift long lengths of real big timber.

Mine is put away for the winter at my summer cottage, but it is pretty much the same as this guys stump puller on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    I made my own log lifter with a farm jack (jackall), a couple of 2x4's, a long bolt with nut, a chain grab hook and a length of chain with hooks. Works real good and can lift long lengths of real big timber.

Mine is put away for the winter at my summer cottage, but it is pretty much the same as this guys stump puller on youtube.

Nice PPE.
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political right’s agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldn’t find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123