Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NR Takedown Rifles, Bags & Definition of "Concealed"

I've heard different interpretations of how to legally carry takedown rifles when walking on crown land, and haven't been able to find anything in the Firearms Act that answers my questions. Although please excuse if I'm missing something obvious.

I've gotten contradictory answers on various forums.

I've understood the law instructs that NR rifles must either be in a bag that looks like a gun bag or carried openly, anything else is "concealed".

I understand that using a bag for another specific purpose, such as a soft guitar case, is misleading and therefore clearly "concealed". But takedown rifles can fit into any bag. Would they need to be carried in the open, strapped with netting? Must they not be broken down? Or can they be carried in a backpack? Does the backpack have to look like a "gun" backpack? Is there any guidance on what a "gun" backpack would be?

Thanks

The law says that while transporting a firearm you should not allow it to be easily seen. The law also says it is a crime to conceal a firearm.

People can interpret the above any way they like but the law is both not clear and completely contradictory, thus ....... there is no correct answer to your question. Much of it depends on what you are doing at the time. The rules for storage, transport and use are quite different. The trick is to understand what activity is in play at the time you are questioned. Are you transporting the firearm or using it?

The law makes no mention of what a firearms case is or must look like. Anything you have heard to the contrary is just garbage someone made up. You can carry a NR firearm in anything you want. Just make sure it cannot be visible during transport and that it is not concealed at the same time.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

"Just make sure it cannot be visible during transport and that it is not concealed at the same time"

At first glance that sounds like good fodder for a Monty Python-esque poke at government legalese ; )

I'm talking about target shooting in the woods is all, not hunting, so would also be carrying some sort of target apparatus as well. I would presume wearing an orange vest would be advisable, not to look like a hunter, but to look like I'm there with a clear purpose? I'm guessing it would be best to use a backpack that looks fit for the purpose of carrying a rifle, not a casual hiking pack.

Thanks
    Last edited by DarseZ; 11-13-2019 at 11:38 AM.

It doesn't have to make sense, it is govt policy.

You need to read the hunting regs. Some places consider you to be hunting if you are out in the woods, with a rifle, during hunting season. I would NOT wear an orange vest as just about everyone will associate that as a hunting thing.

Carry the rifle in whatever you want. It does not even have to be in a bag. How you carry the rifle or what it is in is pretty much irrelevant.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

Throw it in your backpack or whatever. Transporting it in a bag is not concealing it.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By WSA

DarseZ (11-13-2019), Sinbad (11-15-2019), Suputin (11-13-2019)

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by DarseZ View Post
    I've heard different interpretations of how to legally carry takedown rifles when walking on crown land, and haven't been able to find anything in the Firearms Act that answers my questions. Although please excuse if I'm missing something obvious.

I've gotten contradictory answers on various forums.

I've understood the law instructs that NR rifles must either be in a bag that looks like a gun bag or carried openly, anything else is "concealed".

I understand that using a bag for another specific purpose, such as a soft guitar case, is misleading and therefore clearly "concealed". But takedown rifles can fit into any bag. Would they need to be carried in the open, strapped with netting? Must they not be broken down? Or can they be carried in a backpack? Does the backpack have to look like a "gun" backpack? Is there any guidance on what a "gun" backpack would be?

Thanks
    Buddy called a firearm lawyer and putting it in a guitar case wouldn't be consider concealed. There is a old guy that thinks, that you need to put a patch stating, that there is a firearm inside, on anything except gun cases.

Pissed him off enough that he called. I think its more long the lines of the intent. If you are concealing for the purpose of crime, VS transportation.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    It doesn't have to make sense, it is govt policy.

You need to read the hunting regs. Some places consider you to be hunting if you are out in the woods, with a rifle, during hunting season. I would NOT wear an orange vest as just about everyone will associate that as a hunting thing.

Carry the rifle in whatever you want. It does not even have to be in a bag. How you carry the rifle or what it is in is pretty much irrelevant.
    I wear an Orange safety vest walking my dog during hunting season. Just because not every hunter follows the laws and some shoot where ever they please. Actually last hunting season, someone fired 4 shots behind my house.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

If you really want to scrutinize the letter of the law, depending on how you, a lawyer or a judge interprets it, you may or may not require a case or a container to transport your NR firearm.

Transportation of Non-Restricted Firearms

10 (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
    (a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and
    (b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
    (2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
    (a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
    (b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
    (3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
    (a) is not visible; and
    (b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

I interpret that as, I can transport an NR firearm out in the open, whether I'm in a wilderness, rural or urban area, so long as the firearm is unloaded. Where it's specified that it must not be visible, relates specifically to transporting in a remote wilderness area in an unattended vehicle.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    I wear an Orange safety vest walking my dog during hunting season. Just because not every hunter follows the laws and some shoot where ever they please. Actually last hunting season, someone fired 4 shots behind my house.
    Exactly. Wearing Safety Orange doesn't mean one is hunting. A person can wear any colour they want. Nothing in the law stipulates that wearing orange makes you a hunter.

16. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

I recall something about intent being a part of ‘concealed’. Like putting your gun in a trumpet case to smuggle it into the bank was ‘concealing’, but using the same case to take your firearm to a range was not. I’m no lawyer though....

Ruger makes a nice little bag for their takedown 10/22’s, I heard it might fit the PC Carbine as well but I haven’t tried. The Marlin Papoose comes in a nifty little bag as well, which I believe floats in case you loan it to Mike from Canmore for one of his canoe trips...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

18. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

DarseZ (11-13-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast