Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypothetical debate - Installing gun in R/C vehicle

Ok... so say someone has a 1:16 scale Tiger Tank and is wondering the legalities of installing a single shot .22LR into the cannon

Now we've debated on some of the points like the "remote trigger". The law states:

Any electrical or mechanical device that is designed or adapted to operate the trigger mechanism of a semi-automatic firearm for the purpose of causing the firearm to discharge cartridges in rapid succession.

Since this would be a single shot type of deal then legally there shouldn't be an issue there I would think.

This would have to be custom made with a "factory barrel" and it would only work installed in the tank. We are debating on whether this would mean it would be classified as a handgun or not. The laws state:

handgun means a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands

The overall length of said tank including the barrel is 22". The barrel length would be 9". The laws of barrel length state:

restricted firearm means

(a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a firearm that

(i) is not a prohibited firearm,

(ii) has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and

(iii) is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,

So that "and" means that a rimfire and/or bolt action can have a barrel length under the 470mm.

So once again it seems that it would come down to whether it would be deemed a handgun or not. I'm sort of leaning that way since technically it could be aimed and fired with a single hand on the remote control... unless it was designed in such a way that it needed to hands to fire it using the controller....

There has to be something about you being in control of your firearm at all times. If you can send a remote signal, by fluke something could send the same signal.
    Even if you had a secure way of controlling it. You are not in control of the firearm, you are in control of a remote. The remotes signal is in control of the firearm. Therefore you open yourself to any firearm laws regarding negligence.

Unless you are manufacturing a brand new gun, it has to come from something. In that case the OAL is insufficient.

I dont think this is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Unless you are manufacturing a brand new gun, it has to come from something. In that case the OAL is insufficient.

I dont think this is a good idea.
    We are talking about a brand new gun designed specifically for this purpose. Hypothetically of course

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    We are talking about a brand new gun designed specifically for this purpose. Hypothetically of course
    Then I suppose it would need to be sent in to get an FRT. Probably a variant of something prohibited.

try looking under remote operated drones.

I'm fairly certain those things are illegal.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Go old school. Muzzle loaded smoothbore with an Estes type rocket igniter to initiate the firing. That would also scale down the guns velocity as compared to a modern .22 cartridge.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Build it and don't tell anyone.
    Let them try to prove that it's illegal.
    For remote firing, use a string.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

9. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

3MTA3 (10-16-2019), Hillbillyh (10-20-2019), Soph (10-16-2019)

It's been done, Stateside. More than 30 years ago, some guy built an RC Sherman, I think it was, with a working gun. Don't remember any details. Don't remember what magazine it was in either. Might have been Scale Modeler.
    Anyway, it's owner would be subject to the same laws as any firearm.
    One issue would be "Is it considered to be a motorized vehicle?" Shooting out of a motorized vehicle while the motor is running is illegal by Federal Law. Transport Canada rules. Don't think armed drones are legal either.
    The vehicle is not the firearm as it'll work without the gun. And the firearm will work without the vehicle. So you'd have a restricted firearm. The vehicle's length doesn't include the gun barrel either.
    If the vehicle with the firearm installed was considered a firearm, it's less than 26".
    You forgot 'C' too. "a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660mm(actually wrong in that that's 25.7") by folding, telescoping or otherwise."
    "...a single shot .22LR..." A single shot is not a semi-auto/self-loader. It can't be reloading remotely without a very sophisticated, and probably really delicate, mechanism(The Russians did that in the T-72.).
    "...that "and" means..." It means that all those conditions apply.

there's lots of R/C battling tanks that use airsoft bbs and this guy

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Rory McCanuck (10-17-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast