Thread: CWD

CWD

Wondering how other members deal with this.
    I am drawn in a good muley area and planning to go out next week for the opener. I knew that CWD was out there but did not know that this area had such a high rate. Based on submitted samples there is a 44% infection rate. This has been recently released based on 2018 survey. Old bucks are the main target there so maybe they are more susceptible due to longer exposure. I don't know. I am not real keen on donating all that meat to the landfill. A heartbreaker but do not want to be the poster boy for a new cross species virus. Horn score is not my main motivator but I will take a brute given the choice. I suppose I can dig this up online but was curious how other hunters dealt with it. I guess all I can do is submit the head and wait out the results. My hunting partner and I are both mid sixties and wanted to get this one in as a last gasp as it would be a few years until we got drawn again and we would be aged out for a foot hunt in the coulees. Maybe target a nice forky meat buck and hope for the best. What do you think?

TomC

I live in a "mandatory submission" area.
    I dont know anyone who has submitted a head for testing.
    I think the general thought is that if one turns up positive in your area, they're going to machine gun every deer from a helicopter.

I shot a nice buck at camp Wainwright last year, and they make you leave the head behind. (I kept the antlers)
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Two solutions:

1. Ignorance is bliss

2. If you know the answer, you can take action.

Personally, I would want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I think the general thought is that if one turns up positive in your area, they're going to machine gun every deer from a helicopter.

I shot a nice buck at camp Wainwright last year, and they make you leave the head behind. (I kept the antlers)

Only from the dumbasses!

A few years back we had a cull going on that was well on its way to eradicating CWD in close proximity to the border.

Some dumbass posted a picture, the tree huggers scared the politicians, and every year since the mandatory submission area has moved closer to the QE2.

Won’t be long before the entire province is infected.
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isn’t hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By CLW .45

Grey_Wolf (10-27-2019), ROADGLIDE45 (10-26-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

They used to have a general whitetail season down around Oyen Alberta (south east corner). They culled so many of them over a couple of years that the few remaining ones were herding up with the mulies. I saw this with my own eyes. The locals started to bitch that all the whitetails had disappeared, which was true. They put them on a draw and knocked off the yearly after season slaughter.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I have the same problem in zone 24 where I usually hunt, didn't get to excited about muzzleloader season cause where are you going to store a critter until you get notified if it
    s positive. My zone is polluted with CWD, found 2 dead mulie does last week within a half mile of the yard, not killed by traffic either. I'm thinking the cats will be well fed this winter, some other hunter I've known for many years don't even apply for mule anymore due to CWD.

As an update, I did manage a chunky 3x3 and my cohort got a decent 4x4 on our last morning out. Weather was good, put lots of miles on the boots and passed on a couple better bucks on the first morning. Local scuttlebutt is that the bruisers are few now with CWD. I have him skinned, froze and in game bags out in a shed waiting on test results. Has been 4 weeks so hope to get them soon. Should top off the freezer just right.

Did a hunt in Creston BC . the whitetail were great shape lots of fat good hides also . Also turned the heads in