Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First time Sausage making!

I made up 6 packages of spices(ran out of some). I actually had 7 recipes I wanted to try. Only had enough ground moose and pork to make 4 recipes. Made little patties and fried them up of each and then made sausage with the remainder. I will do this again. I have 24 pounds of ground deer meat waiting. All were breakfast recipes. 2 winners out of the 4. Can't wait to fry the sausages up for breakfast one day soon.

Supper tonight was 8 3 inch patties, two of each recipe. And 3 oz's of Glenlivet founders reserve for me.
    Moose and local farm raised pork. It don't get any healthier.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. The Following 11 Users Like This Post By tigrr

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

awndray (10-29-2019), blacksmithden (10-27-2019), Drache (10-28-2019), DuhBoredShooter (10-28-2019), firemachine69 (10-28-2019), Gaidheal (10-28-2019), Hillbillyreefer (10-27-2019), kennymo (10-28-2019), pitw (10-28-2019), road kill (10-28-2019), Rory McCanuck (10-27-2019)

Good stuff! My son and I started making sausage, bacon and ham about six years ago. You get exactly what you want and like - the only way to go for sure. Oh yeah we also make our own Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat from deer, moose or beef (no elk cause I can't remember the last time we got one). Whatever is handy

I picked up 100lbs of pork Friday, bratwurst, summer sausage and pepperoni are in my future. There is about 40lbs of moose trim left in the freezer, likely to be turned into summer sausage and pepperoni. The brats will be straight pork.

4 pork shoulders will be made into my secret recipe ham.

Rifle season munchies prep!

It’s a rewarding hobby, and having complete control over what goes into your food makes it very worth while.

Anyone have a good goose sausage recipe? By "good" I mean you've made it, eaten it and would make another batch of the same?
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyreefer View Post
    I picked up 100lbs of pork Friday, bratwurst, summer sausage and pepperoni are in my future. There is about 40lbs of moose trim left in the freezer, likely to be turned into summer sausage and pepperoni. The brats will be straight pork.

4 pork shoulders will be made into my secret recipe ham.

Rifle season munchies prep!

It’s a rewarding hobby, and having complete control over what goes into your food makes it very worth while.

How do you go about doing that? Do you smoke them or cure them in brine?
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    Brine first then smoke

That was pretty short answer. Be aware that generally speaking anything that is going to be smoked needs to be cured first - that can be curing salts in the brine (or rub) or added to the meat in the case of sausage. There is a definite guideline as to how much to use that must be followed. If you don't you run the risk of creating botulism and other such nasty things or poisoning from too much cure. Again, generally speaking, any sausage that has cure and been smoked is fully cooked and can be eaten without further cooking like smokies. Sausage that is to be cooked before eating like pork breakfast sausage doesn't have cure in it and are generally not smoked.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf; 10-28-2019 at 07:19 PM.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Grey_Wolf

Swingerguy (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    This batch will be pumped and wet brined for about 10days, then hot smoked until fully cooked.

Usually I dry brine in vacuum sealed bags, but I haven’t got any rolls or bags large enough for these shoulders.

I may add a touch of liquid smoke to the brine as an experiment.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Hillbillyreefer

Swingerguy (10-28-2019)

Nothing like the prospect of more game in the freezer to get you to process the game that's still in the freezer.
    (That's how I roll anyway)
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Hillbillyreefer (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyreefer View Post
    This batch will be pumped and wet brined for about 10days, then hot smoked until fully cooked.

Usually I dry brine in vacuum sealed bags, but I haven’t got any rolls or bags large enough for these shoulders.

I may add a touch of liquid smoke to the brine as an experiment.
    I've thought about using a dry rub and sealing it. Run into the same issue - vacuum bags not quite big enough so I always brine in a crock. Care to share a recipe for the rub?

those vacuum storage bags work great, can get huge ones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast