Best rifle scope for beginners

Hey Fellas, I need some help/advice on choosing the best rifle scope for the money and also suited to my needs as I'm still a rookie. What do you think about the Bushnell Trophy? I've read an article called The 10 Best Rifle Scopes of 2019, but I can imagine that most of them can be quite pricey... Any advice would help. Thanks a lot!

Iron sights?
    Just how far and at what are you intending to shoot at?
    Paper, gophers, deer, mountain goat across the valley?

Depending on the use, a cheap used Tasco is an excellent choice. Or yes, you can spend more than the gun on a scope and it’ll work far, but maybe not so good up close.

Ya we need a little more info on your uses. Plinking gophers with a 22lr you can use a different scope than targets at 1000 plus yards. Caliber your shooting and type of firearm also makes a difference, a springer air rifle can be hard on scopes. Also articles called THE 10 BEST ANYTHING are in my opinion a frikken joke.

Assuming general purpose use for a centrefire rifle, there are a bunch that are actually pretty good while being inexpensive.
    I have a Bushnell Banner, their bottom of the line scope, that is decent, but it's a 1.5-4x and those are easy to keep clear, higher magnifications are pickier.
    The Trophy is a small step up/ replacement for the Banner. I haven't used one, but at 9x at dusk I'd imagine they're pretty dim.

I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x, one step up from their bargain basement, and am quite impressed with it.
    Quite clear, light transmission is great at dusk.

Vortex Diamondback was what I was comparing against that Nikon and I thought the Nikon was a touch brighter while looking through it in a well-lit store. In real life I'm reasonably confident that I'd be quite happy with it for bashing through the bush. Superb warranty, but several here have had to use it.

Scorpion is another newer name that I've had a few looks at. They have a warranty as good as Vortex's, and the ones I have looked through have been very clear. Iirc, lone-wolf had one and seemed satisfied with it.

As a general rule, stay away from the bottom of the line scopes and you should probably be happy.
    The more money you spend, the nicer the scopes get, the better quality the glass and the more light transmission and clearer the picture you get.
    A Remington pump gun or a lever action probably doesn't deserve a $700 scope.
    A Weatherby Lasermark, $700 is probably the baseline of what you should be looking at.

Stay away from gimmicky stuff like lasers and illuminated reticles on the cheap scopes, they're designed to suck you in, not for any practical purpose.
    Have fun, look at lots of scopes, one will stick out for you.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

kennymo (10-28-2019), linung (10-28-2019), Mark-II (10-28-2019)

There really is no 'best' anything. Moreso if the list is in a gun rag. The gun rags have become part of the assorted manufacturer's marketing departments.
    It doesn't matter how experienced you are. The rifle, unless it's a rimfire, doesn't matter much either. Mind you, some rifle brands have proprietary rings. What you're doing matters a bit, but not as much as you'd think.
    What's your budget including the bases and rings? Where you buy will matter a bit. Most places, like Cabela's, will install the thing for free when you buy from them.
    Bushnell's QC dropped off year ago. They're owned by a holding company now and the quality is lower. Used to be I'd say 2.5X-8X-40, Bushnell Scopechief or the like, except they're not made any more. Now, I'd be thinking Leopold or Nikon. Which one will depend on your budget.

I've got some cheap MIL Dot Tasco 3-9x on our 22 rimfire target rifles that have given stellar performance over the years.

Bushnell? made a fixed 10x compact target scope that was very well priced and yet is a great scope.

TBH a fixed power scope is probably a better way to start for newbies. The way the reticle sub tension changes on a variable power scope can be confusing for new shooters. Fixed power scopes cost less and produce better image clarity due to the light passing through fewer lenses. All my long range and varmint rifles wear fixed power scopes.

FWIW I don't think I own any scopes that cost $700+. I've got a pair of Sightrons that were around $600 each IIRC. I've used those optics out to 1200 yds no problems. I've got a couple of Tasco Super Sniper's that I have taken out to over a mile. There is no need to spend huge $$'s on optics. Just choose wisely.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Stew (10-30-2019)

Some of the smallest groups with hunting rifles I have seen in 61+ years of shooting and ownership of 150+ guns in that time were from Remington pump rifles. Just sayin......

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Some of the smallest groups with hunting rifles I have seen in 61+ years of shooting and ownership of 150+ guns in that time were from Remington pump rifles. Just sayin......
    Proving that quantity is not quality.

I have 2 Bushnell Trophy XLT scopes, like them a lot