Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I thought Britain had biased, Left-wing media - until I spent time in Canada

Oct 27 2019
    England

Justin Trudeau, a man who can’t remember how many times he darkened his skin for comic effect, has managed to form a minority government in Canada.

His Liberal Party won Monday’s election with fewer votes than the Conservatives but, under a quirk of the first-past-the-post system, emerged 36 seats ahead in the 338-member House of Commons. The Tories took it on the chin. Their leader, a likeable man called Andrew Scheer, conceded graciously.

I should declare an interest: Scheer is a friend, one of a handful of overseas leaders who publicly backed Brexit. I spent a week in Canada watching the election, and came back stunned by the lopsidedness of the political culture. It’s not just that a Right-wing leader who had blacked up would have been hounded out of public life. It’s not just that, had the vote totals been the other way around, we’d never hear the end of it. It’s that the Leftism of the media has fashioned a national ethos.

Like most British Tories, I expect a measure of media bias: immigration good, Israel bad, feminism good, austerity bad etc. But I have never come across such a monolithically partisan commentariat as Canada’s. I watched open-mouthed as one news anchor subjected Scheer to a 30-second harangue about his “lies” before asking: “How do you explain to your five children, from toddler to teenager, that it is OK to lead a dirty campaign?” Stunned, I wrote down her exact words. But no one else seemed surprised and, within a few days, I understood why. A week before polling day, the state broadcaster went so far as to sue the Conservatives for breach of copyright because they (like other parties) had used news footage in an election advertisement.

It wasn’t always this way. Before the ascendancy of Pierre Trudeau, Canadians tended to self-define as an independent people. Eisenhower remarked (in private, obviously) that, man for man, they were the toughest soldiers under his command. But laws shape culture. As long ago as 1971, Canada declared itself a multicultural state. The Leftist quangos created by Trudeau père in the Seventies were designed to elevate wokeness above freedom, and they succeeded.

Uniquely in the Anglosphere, Canada has seen almost no backlash against political correctness. The doctrine of diversity and equality is enforced ruthlessly. Scheer was pilloried, for example, for not joining a Pride march. Not for expressing any reservations about gay rights, simply for declining to parade in celebration. Canadian politicians vie to out-Greta each other – despite the fact that their country arguably has less to fear than any other from a rise in temperature.

There is no market for Right-wing populism. The closest Canada got to Trumpism was a party that wanted to cut immigration from 350,000 a year to around 150,000. Anywhere else, 150,000 would be regarded as mass migration, but in Canada, it was howled down as far-Right extremism, and the party took just 1.6 per cent of the vote. Canada’s Tories share the enthusiasm for high immigration, and are the only centre-Right party in the West that wins electorally significant support from ethnic minorities. In two of the past four elections, immigrants were likelier to vote Conservative than native-born Canadians.

How are we to explain these divergences from other wealthy democracies? Is it that Canada came through the credit crunch without a downturn, and so avoided the sense that ordinary taxpayers had had to bail out millionaires? Is it relative income equality and the absence of inherited class distinctions? Is it that, while legal immigration is popular, illegal immigration is insignificant?

A plausible explanation is offered by Eric Kaufmann of Birkbeck College, a Vancouverite by origin. In the middle of his book Whiteshift, a brilliant analysis of how immigration is altering voting behaviour across the West, there is a digression into Canadian exceptionalism. Kaufmann shows how the public climate in Canada continues to stigmatise positions which, elsewhere in the Anglosphere, are regarded as legitimate. Opposition to immigration is still treated as racist. “Taboos which mark the boundaries of debate are very important in English Canada.”

Quite. And politics, as Andrew Breitbart used to observe, is “downstream of culture”. When public discourse is dominated by paeans of praise to diversity, expressions of conservatism seem not just dissonant, but jarring. Imagine a Britain in which there was no alternative to the Guardian/BBC view of the world: that is what Canada has become.

hxxps://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/27/thought-britain-had-biased-left-wing-media-spent-time-canada/amp/

Internationally the turd has been destroyed, he will not be treated well at any world summit, this will hurt us the most. He will spend billions of our money trying to make himself look good.
    -- David Sprocket

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

firemachine69 (10-29-2019), shootemup604 (10-29-2019)

"It wasn’t always this way. Before the ascendancy of Pierre Trudeau, Canadians tended to self-define as an independent people. Eisenhower remarked (in private, obviously) that, man for man, they were the toughest soldiers under his command. But laws shape culture. As long ago as 1971, Canada declared itself a multicultural state. The Leftist quangos created by Trudeau père in the Seventies were designed to elevate wokeness above freedom, and they succeeded."
    I live among lots of sheeple and dim witted who like to think they are good Canadians for voting Lieberal

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

firemachine69 (10-29-2019), SwissArmyMan (10-29-2019), Waterloomike (10-29-2019)

Trudeau learned from bezmenov's mentors.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Waterloomike

joe6167 (10-28-2019), killer kane (10-29-2019)

Canadians only get the leadership, political party and mainstream media they deserve!

And they deserve to get it good and hard.
    I live among lots of sheeple and dim witted who like to think they are good Canadians for voting Lieberal

I respectfully disagree with "are the only centre-Right party" and believe that in my opinion the Conservative Party; believing in such immigration (as noted), universal healthcare and allowing the gun control we have; to be fractionally left of center.

Otherwise, a very true and correct article I agree with.
    Lessons from history and events of today: "resist with all your might, because if you lose once, there will be a catastrophe for your people, and the world will ignore it."

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Aniest

firemachine69 (10-29-2019), Gaidheal (10-29-2019), M1917 Enfield (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    I respectfully disagree with "are the only centre-Right party" and believe that in my opinion the Conservative Party; believing in such immigration (as noted), universal healthcare and allowing the gun control we have; to be fractionally left of center.

Otherwise, a very true and correct article I agree with.
    Nope. With those things they are clearly centre-right as opposed to right. The "centre" part means they share certain policies with centre-left parties. That's the "crossover".

That being said all of Canadian politics has shifted leftward. So what some of what one might consider left 20 years ago is now centre etc.
    Dictionary of the future:
    Global Warming was a popular computer simulation game,
    where the only way to win was not to play.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Aniest (10-29-2019)

We shifted so left, we're about to fall off the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Nope. With those things they are clearly centre-right as opposed to right. The "centre" part means they share certain policies with centre-left parties. That's the "crossover".

That being said all of Canadian politics has shifted leftward. So what some of what one might consider left 20 years ago is now centre etc.
    "Considered" by the left to be the centre.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

Quote Originally Posted by Waterloomike View Post
    "Considered" by the left to be the centre.
    No I'd argue the bulk of those who consider themselves conservative are a little left or the same demographic 20 years ago. Not that everyone has shifted or everyone has shifted the same degree. Take for example gay marriage. Most Liberals and Conservatives were against it at one point, now most are for it or accept it. That's the centre. The centre 20 years ago was against it and the centre now is for it. These are facts we know through voting records and polling of Canadians at large. If you or I or anyone else haven't shifted on that view (I'm more libertarian now so I don't give a #$ck) then we would be the ones who haven't moved while the bulk of Canada has.
    Dictionary of the future:
    Global Warming was a popular computer simulation game,
    where the only way to win was not to play.

What about true fiscal conservatives, the seldom mentioned but very important class of conservatives, are they more left of centre now too and more accepting that we lead the world in personal debt?

Maybe they are now dead in Canada and a good part of the west.

Everybody seems to think the only form of conservatives that matters or warrants discussion are social or cultural conservatives.

16. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

Aniest (10-29-2019), awndray (10-29-2019), Camo tung (10-29-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast