Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Safety harness attachment points?

Ok, Iíve seen lots of harness attachment points for use on trees and asphalt shingle roofs. But what about metal roofs?

Iím seeing prices from $20-$400. They just need to work, and will be rarely used. Mostly checking a chimney, or realignment of Cel booster or satellite antennae. Roofing contractor doesnít know squat and isnít very helpful either about it. East coast is kinda behind the times on safety...

Any suggestions?

A good pair of boots...
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political rightís agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldnít find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Ok, Iíve seen lots of harness attachment points for use on trees and asphalt shingle roofs. But what about metal roofs?

Iím seeing prices from $20-$400. They just need to work, and will be rarely used. Mostly checking a chimney, or realignment of Cel booster or satellite antennae. Roofing contractor doesnít know squat and isnít very helpful either about it. East coast is kinda behind the times on safety...

Any suggestions?
    Well I wouldn't say that.. One of my window in my house, which is the smallest and non opening is going to cost the most due to them needing a cheery picker since just below is a corrugated plastic roof that cannot step on.

I would have to say a piece of angle iron span it across the screw holes.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well I wouldn't say that.. One of my window in my house, which is the smallest and non opening is going to cost the most due to them needing a cheery picker since just below is a corrugated plastic roof that cannot step on.

I would have to say a piece of angle iron span it across the screw holes.
    Sounds more access/logistics than safety on that one. But this isn’t mandatory for residential most places, but it is more common out west. Harness work falls under the “Safety third” in the east...

Have a link/price on that bar system?

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Sounds more access/logistics than safety on that one. But this isn’t mandatory for residential most places, but it is more common out west. Harness work falls under the “Safety third” in the east...

Have a link/price on that bar system?
    I'd just make one.. It probably be cheaper.

https://www.diyhowto.com.au/guide/in...nt-metal-roof/

https://www.acuresafety.com/product/...hor-dog-leash/ -- wrap it around the chimney

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8735084&rt=rud -- attach between harness and cable anchor
    ďA harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.Ē
    -Jordan Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    https://www.acuresafety.com/product/...hor-dog-leash/ -- wrap it around the chimney

-- attach between harness and cable anchor
    The reel I know, and should be responsibility of the person going up.

The cable is an option, but looking for more permanent /aesthetic setup.

I’d rather not anchor to a pre1900s chimney that was reworked in the 70-80s. Not sure the bricks could take the stress of a fall. And it’s hard to SSS when they’re there by appointment...

Since there’s guys on here who work on commercial roofs and such, I figured this wasn’t too odd a thing.

I think you are going down the right path. Don't cheap out and do whatever is easiest, the stress loads from a fall are huge and will rip anything out that isn't anchored really well, which would then land on you after hitting the ground. You could check the acklands catalogue, they should have pretty much anything that exists listed in there.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I think you are going down the right path. Don't cheap out and do whatever is easiest, the stress loads from a fall are huge and will rip anything out that isn't anchored really well, which would then land on you after hitting the ground. You could check the acklands catalogue, they should have pretty much anything that exists listed in there.
    And that’s the rub. Lots of options, most don’t seem suitable for a metal roof. And massive price point swings. The roofing company is acting almost offended about the idea, so no suggestions there.

RobertMcC has a good one, but DIY a great route when death and liability comes into play. Also, it seems what can look useful, rapidly becomes wildly impractical when actually being used. This wheels been invented, and at a few price points and usability levels.

The guys who did the old man’s house installed permanent ladder rungs on the backside of the house for cleaning the chimney. More useful than an attachment point that one has to risk getting up on the roof to tie off to IMO.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

SIR VEYOR (11-02-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast