Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury outboard blues.

I just bought a 1993 Mercury 9.9 model # 1010201ND. It starts great. It runs flat out great. But in between it sputters and sputs. It is new premium gas. It came with a boat and trailer. What should I do first?
    It has one of those funky turn the tiller counter clockwise it goes forward, turn it clockwise it goes in reverse.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Mid-range ok? Just off idle where it stumbles? Check to see if it has a mixture adjustment, sounds like it's lean at idle. Question: what is the factory warm idle speed for that motor? Could the idle speed be possibly set too low?
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

RobertMcC
    How long has it been siting? Carb could be a little dirty, or pump diaphragms are dried out. But the base carb adjustment for the engine idle should be about 1 1/2 turns out.

How's the fuel filter looking?
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political rightís agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldnít find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

Fuel filter is clean. It has one of those adjustable idle speed and prime button combined. It sat for 8 years and I drained and added fresh gas and it started on the 3rd pull. Maybe I mess with that idle control dial and see if it changes anything. Maiden voyage yesterday showed it would troll and go flat out but ran rough mid range. I will buy a new prop because someone decided the prop shouldn't have a slight curl in the lip. Might look around for a 1993 9.9 operating manual.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Fuel filter is clean. It has one of those adjustable idle speed and prime button combined. It sat for 8 years and I drained and added fresh gas and it started on the 3rd pull. Maybe I mess with that idle control dial and see if it changes anything. Maiden voyage yesterday showed it would troll and go flat out but ran rough mid range. I will buy a new prop because someone decided the prop shouldn't have a slight curl in the lip. Might look around for a 1993 9.9 operating manual.
    It runs flat out and you can troll, and it starts easily...all good signs. I would try and run another tank of premium fuel through it before freeze up, or a good quality fuel and a bit of Seafoam...sounds like there is some varnish in it from sitting for 8 years.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

tigrr
    I would suspect that the carb needs to be cleaned.
    Premix oil and fuel carbs are not prone to corrosion like carbs that run straight gas.
    Over time they can get a varnish like build-up in them that reduces the flow through the jets.
    I'm not familiar with that vintage of engine but it probably has 1 or 2 jets.
    A gasket and a couple jets after soaking in carb cleaner or Pine-sol for a few hours would probably do the trick.

Terry

Here is a link to an owners manual:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...YspblGYEZsplYk

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By t_glover

firemachine69 (10-28-2019), GTW (10-28-2019)

Also check your primer bulb on the gas line. If it's allowing air to be sucked into the fuel supply, you will get that sputter.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Most of what goes wrong with these engines is fuel related. Disassembly and cleaning sometimes work, but they do corrode the ports over time. If you'd like to solve it and be done with it, look around ebay for a replacement carb. I think they can be had for around $200 shipped.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

RobertMcC
    Varnish, or gumming up carbs can happen in a couple years. I worked on most of the 25 HP 2 strokes and 4 strokes for the Navy. I would expect the diaphrams to be dried out after 8 years. It wouldnt hurt to clean and re seal the carb. Then leaving you stranded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast