Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    So you are thinking I should wait until I have finished my radiation treatments before going out on a limb eating par-boiled, flame finished flesh of methane generators?
    You do whats right for you. Just be smart about it is all I'm saying. Knowledge is power.

    If you are really undergoing radiation treatment then you should talk to your Dr about any effects on your immune system and take precautions to avoid exposure to opportunistic bacteria.

  2. #12
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,462
    Can I use a "Bonavita BV382510V Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle"
    to sous vide a steak?
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005YR0F40

  3. #13
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,462
    A Beginner’s Guide to Sous Vide Cooking
    Sept 2017, 10 minutes

    http://y2u.be/NaMtktnlb4A

  4. #14
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,462
    I've been cooking steaks in a similar way for about a decade.
    1) fill a sink with 160F water.
    2) put a frozen steak in a ziploc bag, use the pressure of the water to get any air out of the ziploc
    3) leave it in the water for 45 minutes to an hour. By that time the water temp has dropped to about 120C. Sometimes I empty the water at 30 minutes and refill with hot water.
    4) cover it with Keg steak sauce (salt). At this point it's warm, flexible, and very definitely thawed. The ziploc has a bunch of blood.
    5) put it on the preheated BBQ with a electronic temperature sensor in the meat, flipping the steak a couple times. Take it off when it hits 160F. This takes about 5 minutes. Less in the summer, more in the winter.
    6) let it sit on the plate for a couple minutes.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,353
    Bob:

    Couple of things going on with your method.

    1. You are not "cooking" in that hot water, only defrosting and that can be done in the fridge or under cold running water.

    2. The time period (1 hr) is not long enough for bacteria to begin to grow

    3. The BBQ step is ultimately the kill step for any bacteria on the raw meat.

    4. Make extra certain you keep the temp probe clean as that could introduce bacteria into the centre of the steak.


    For true sous vide cooking, it is important that the food be completely immersed in the water. This is why restaurants use vacuum bagged method as it gets all the air out so the food sinks in the water. Those sous vide machines have impellers to produce turbulence in the water and promote even temperature throughout the water column.

  6. #16
    Senior Member 2012Cvoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Okanagan B.C. & Victoria TX
    Posts
    501
    I appreciate the fair warning. I’ve been going to the same butcher as my parents did as his son now still runs it and the meat is quality. Grew up and still eat steak tartare and if I catch a spawner that is too badly hooked I’ll eat the roe with a dash of salt & pepper right there in the boat.
    Been practicing this for coming up on 50yrs, whatever gut culture I need I’m sure I got along with quality meat......

  7. #17
    Senior Member RangeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    39,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    1. You are not "cooking" in that hot water, only defrosting and that can be done in the fridge or under cold running water.
    I concur I'm not cooking with the sink. I'm primarily thoroughly defrosting.
    What I'm doing is getting the steak 30F warmer than room temperature, so when it hits the BBQ the BBQ doesn't have to dry it out with additional over-the-flame time. This helps keep the steak moist for eating.

    That is of course when I do it right. If I get busy doing something else, and 1.5hours goes by, the water in the sink is room temperature by the time I've got the BBQ ready to go.

    Some suggest the other way. That meat should be 5C when it hits the BBQ. But that's not the way I do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    4. Make extra certain you keep the temp probe clean as that could introduce bacteria into the centre of the steak.
    The temp probe is washed in soap, water, and a clean wash cloth. Stored in a ziplock until the next use. Should be ok.
    I'm not dipping it in alcohol or autoclave. I'm pretty sure the dishwasher would wreck the probe.


    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    For true sous vide cooking, it is important that the food be completely immersed in the water. This is why restaurants use vacuum bagged method as it gets all the air out so the food sinks in the water.
    With mine the food is under water, and no air near the meat. The little bit of air still in the bag floats, and sort of keeps the meat upright on its side.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    I appreciate the fair warning. I’ve been going to the same butcher as my parents did as his son now still runs it and the meat is quality. Grew up and still eat steak tartare and if I catch a spawner that is too badly hooked I’ll eat the roe with a dash of salt & pepper right there in the boat.
    Been practicing this for coming up on 50yrs, whatever gut culture I need I’m sure I got along with quality meat......
    And the guy playing Russian Roulette had the gun go "click" 5 times already so past results must indicate future performance?

    You are free to take whatever risks you choose but my job and my eduction through two BSc degrees is about keeping the food people eat safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •