Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Troy 102 - Running Review

So I'm going to keep running this review as the days go by. Sorry I don't have any pictures as of yet. The rifle arrived at work and I was too busy playing with it to remember to take pictures as I went.

UNBOXING:
    So the rifle arrived in a pretty plain looking cardboard box with some foam inside. The rifle comes in two pieces with the upper being inside a white foam sleeve. Inside the box besides the rifle was of course a metal 5 round magazine, a cable lock, the manual, and a Weapon Record Book that reminds me of those from the military. The rifle was heavily covered in oil and required a good wipe down before handling and I suggest a cleaning before use.

FIRST THOUGHTS:
    So I slapped the rifle together. Some have complained that their takedown pins were really hard to get in and out. Mine were as easy as any other AR I've ever owned. The finish on the rifle is of course black with a satin sort of feel to it. Nothing exciting there. The fit of the upper and the lower is really good, no rattle. In fact the entire rifle feels really solid in my hands. The Troy Battle Ax stock looks ugly as sin but really easy to use and is fairly comfortable. The rail on the upper and the handguard match up perfectly which is nice.

The charging charging handle is pretty plain and very smooth. I would definitely suggest getting an extended handle. Charging the gun feels like it should. Some have stated theirs was hard or not very smooth. Mine feels like every other AR I've owned.

The magazine is metal with an orange follower. The spring in my mag feels pretty stiff but it is a new magazines. Press the mag release and the magazine pops out cleanly.

The barrel is supposed to be a match grade barrel according to Troy. Not sure how the judge a barrel to be match grade or not. The end is stamped 308 WIN 1:10.

Trigger isn't bad. Averages about 7lbs 5oz over twenty tests.

-------------------------------

So I haven't gotten the change to year it down yet. If there is something specific you want me to look at then please let me know!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

3MTA3 (11-06-2019)

Mine should arrive this week.

I have a scope ready to go, and I picked up some mags.

I intend to hunt with this thing as long as I can...which means I need to pack it around the woods, which means I need a sling.

Whats the interweb consensus on a sling for these things.The

4. The Following User Liked This Post By ilikemoose

Hillbillyh (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemoose View Post

I intend to hunt with this thing as long as I can...which means I need to pack it around the woods, which means I need a sling.

The rear stock has a hole for a DQ sling mount. I picked up a bipod adapter that also has a QG sling mount as well. Not sure what I'll run for a sling yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemoose View Post

Same thing here. Vortex viper scope and a couple xcr-m mags. I'm going with a tactical 2 point and am grabbing some QDmounts along with a QD M lock for the front this weekend
    dont remember the sling brand because it's old...Could be chinesium, but I do know it works fine.

Qualifier: I hunt with an m14/m305

The Troy is way heavier than I thought it would be .

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Hillbillyh

ilikemoose (11-09-2019)

For those wondering about the finish I tried to take a picture that more shows what the finish is like.

So no real splotchiness can be seen on my rifle.

5 rounds out the pipe.

I like the trigger, zero pick up, no creep nice pull.
    Being heavy recoil is light

My norinco AR didnt have a scratch on it. It was a Norinco so I didnt baby it.
    This gun already has scratches on the deflector, on the handguard from the buckle on the sling. At this rate It'll need a paintjob by tomorrow

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Hillbillyh

tdod101 (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyh View Post
    5 rounds out the pipe.

I like the trigger, zero pick up, no creep nice pull.
    Being heavy recoil is light

My norinco AR didnt have a scratch on it. It was a Norinco so I didnt baby it.
    This gun already has scratches on the deflector, on the handguard from the buckle on the sling. At this rate It'll need a paintjob by tomorrow
    Yes. I'm unimpressed by the finish
    Let me off this planet!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By tdod101

Hillbillyh (11-09-2019)

So I took a couple shits with it today just to get a feel for it. Didn't have any targets so I set up some plastic bottles to try and give it a rough sight in. I must say it does not like 180gr federal blue box. They were all over the place. Next I tried some Hornady precision hunter 178gr and it did OK. Finally I tired some of my 175gr Sierra match kings and it seemed to like those. I'll have to try it out at the range and see what I can do for groupings. I may pick up some Sierra game kings as well and see if it likes those as a hunting round

15. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Hillbillyh (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    So I took a couple shits with it today just to get a feel for it. Didn't have any targets so I set up some plastic bottles to try and give it a rough sight in. I must say it does not like 180gr federal blue box. They were all over the place. Next I tried some Hornady precision hunter 178gr and it did OK. Finally I tired some of my 175gr Sierra match kings and it seemed to like those. I'll have to try it out at the range and see what I can do for groupings. I may pick up some Sierra game kings as well and see if it likes those as a hunting round
    Freudian slip?

17. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By ilikemoose

Hillbillyh (11-09-2019), lone-wolf (12-04-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast