M1A/M305 Parts interchangeability

Hi.

I'm in the process of dong a bit of work on my M 305.I noticed the firing pin tipis on rough shape.Would a M 1A/M14 firing pin fit?

Thanks for reading.

Neither an M1A or M305 is an M-14, but Marstar does list M305 and M-14 parts on the same page on their site. No firing pins currently in stock, of course. Try Western Gun Parts, who do not have a list or prices on-line.
    If you have to go Stateside for parts, do not mention the M-14. They're considered to be MG's on both sides of the border. No exports or imports of parts. The M1A is ok though. Clinton banned the import of M305's years ago. So there won't be any parts by that name.
    However, an M1 Rifle(Garand with no border issues.) firing pin will fit into an M-14. So it should fit an M305 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Neither an M1A or M305 is an M-14, but Marstar does list M305 and M-14 parts on the same page on their site. No firing pins currently in stock, of course. Try Western Gun Parts, who do not have a list or prices on-line.
    If you have to go Stateside for parts, do not mention the M-14. They're considered to be MG's on both sides of the border. No exports or imports of parts. The M1A is ok though. Clinton banned the import of M305's years ago. So there won't be any parts by that name.
    However, an M1 Rifle(Garand with no border issues.) firing pin will fit into an M-14. So it should fit an M305 too.
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I tried to get a rear sight and ran into the problem of looking for M 14 parts.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    No/non/negatory on the Garand/M14 firing pins. The Garand is 1/2" longer so will not fit.
    IMG_0370.jpg
    Top is USGI M14, bottom is Garand.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

5. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Hidyn (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kswan View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I tried to get a rear sight and ran into the problem of looking for M 14 parts.
    The Garand rear sight assembly will swap out with no issues. This fellow ships to Canada. https://www.treelinem14.com/Sights_c12.htm

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    The Garand rear sight assembly will swap out with no issues. This fellow ships to Canada. https://www.treelinem14.com/Sights_c12.htm
    Thanks for the up date on firing pins, Good to know guys that ship to Canada.

Does anyone have a link to a decent article/thread/video of bolt replacement on an M305 with an M1A bolt?

Will I need to pull the barrel and re-install for headspace? Replace anything else? At $300 it's not a very cheap fix.

Should I continue to only shoot 7.62 NATO, never shoot .308, and hope the bolt doesn't break?

Also Aztec Armory has good access to M1A parts, though with the legal hoops they're jumping through now I woulde-mail them about availability first.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Sounds like you are going down that rabbit hole hard. If the bolt is a older forged piece, I would leave it be. If it is a newer metal injected molding part, I would replace it with an older Chinese bolt. One came my way and the bolt lugs were near sheared off. Mixing and matching parts is usually left to a professional (which I am not). Tactical Teacher/Barney over on CGN has helped me with a few of my Norinco refurbishings. I highly recommend his expertise when it comes to the Chinese M14/ M1A clones.

Always check headspacing before firing a rifle that has had any barrel or bolt work.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

It's definitely the injection molded one. That really sucks, it's an absolutely stellar performer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go check out what I can find from the CGN guy!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.