Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 X 25 ammo

7.62 X 25 ammo

For some time I believed there were loads in 7.62X25 that were made for MG use but was always told it didn't exist.

We have a few thousand rounds and it seems what we have is hot but again have not tested with a chronograph. After shooting a TT33 I had the conversation with my son and he did some research on the ammo and found velocities ranged between 1,300 and 1,700 FPS which made no sense. If you take into account the difference between a TT33 and PPSh it still shouldn't have that great a variance.

Talked to the retired chief armorer for the rcmp and he showed me a article on the TT33 and a couple other handguns and in that article they talk about the ammo manufactured for the SMG. They did make a hot load which has a velocity around 1,700 FPS + or - and comes in a box of 40 rounds (5/8 round stripper clips). The picture of the box is identical to what we have and I always knew that ammo was "hot". His research seems to confirm there were different loads, not that the commies could care less on who used what.

The handgun ammo is around 1,300 FPS + or -

I think a lot of the ammo imported is on stripper clips so possibly for the SMG.

factory PPU FMJ is greater than 1700fps.....

Quote Originally Posted by srdiver View Post
    Could well be however I was referring to surplus ammo.

Thanks for your info.

"The Soviet P-41 was a 74 grain, steel-cored, incendiary variant produced for use in the PPSh-41 and PPS-43 during World War II. This ammunition would achieve a velocity of 1,600 feet per second when fired from these weapons."

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Lee Enfield (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by srdiver View Post
    What is the velocity?

1722 fps for Wolf Gold, same for PPU

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1587619

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Lee Enfield (11-07-2019)

I'm kind of surprised there is such a velocity range available. Blowback SMGs cannot be ramped up excessively before they begin bulging and blowing cases.

Years go I tried it in my Sten. To a certain extent I was able to increase the velocity but fairly quickly ran into bulged cases and a few that blew out the side of the case or blew the case head completely off.

Its just the nature of the beast with a blowback system.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    I'm kind of surprised there is such a velocity range available. Blowback SMGs cannot be ramped up excessively before they begin bulging and blowing cases.

Years go I tried it in my Sten. To a certain extent I was able to increase the velocity but fairly quickly ran into bulged cases and a few that blew out the side of the case or blew the case head completely off.

Its just the nature of the beast with a blowback system.
    It is interesting that the velocity range is so great and yet seem to work in the handgun and PPSh?? I have checked the HV empties from using the TT33 and they look fine which possibly might be attributed to the quality of the brass but not sure??

I do know from a friend who is a Mauser pistol owner that the high velocity rounds would ruin a that pistol quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    It is interesting that the velocity range is so great and yet seem to work in the handgun and PPSh?? I have checked the HV empties from using the TT33 and they look fine which possibly might be attributed to the quality of the brass but not sure??

I do know from a friend who is a Mauser pistol owner that the high velocity rounds would ruin a that pistol quite quickly.
    the TT33 will run the Mauser rounds flawlessly, not sure about the PPSh

I spoke to a Mauser 96 owner about ammo when I bought mine and he said he used the tokarev stuff with no issue, which made me cringe a little.

Maybe he had some of the lower velocity stuff...who knows. I did not know that there was such a range to the stuff

7.63 Mauser was rated for 1500fps or so, I thought I had read

My reloads are likely substantially less, as that gun kicks much more softly than my old TT-33s with commie ball did, when I had them.

on a Mauser note, I wonder how many guys change out the recoil springs. Mine was like a limp noodle; no way I would have shot the thing with that in it. I always always buy new recoil springs for old guns...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast