Vancouver Island

Iím looking for info about hunting on Vancouver Island next fall. Is there much area to hunt deer and what species is plentiful? What do you have to put in for a draw for? What doesnít require a draw?
    I have only hunted Alberta and Saskatchewan and am not familiar with the wmuís on the island. Any general info to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. I would be based out of Comox but am willing to travel some.
    Thanks.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

The dear around Comox are diseased. The island species is quite small too. Not sure if there’s much deer hunting on the island because of that, but I’ve been away for a couple decades. I think there’s a few islanders who joined the forum within the past couple years so hopefully one of them will chime in.
    Pew pew pew

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Swingerguy (11-13-2019)

Rummage around here. It appears Vancouver Island is WMU #1.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...tions-synopsis

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Swingerguy (11-15-2019)

Coastal deer tend to on the small size. North of Port Renfrew or around Nitinat Lake are good places to hunt. Bush beating can be brutal that's why quads or road hunting are the norm.
    "That bright light aint heaven son, it's a muzzle flash"

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Oatmeal Savage

Doug_M (11-14-2019), Swingerguy (11-15-2019)

The South end of the Island is largely gated. Access to many areas is difficult and open areas have lots of hunters. You can hunt deer and black bear in a GOS and elk if you win the LEH lottery. The odds are very high so don't count on getting an elk draw. There are better odds in the archery zones.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Ohno

Swingerguy (11-15-2019)

Thanks everyone.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

The deer are great shape but all close to town . We have a lot of wolves here and are eating the bear cubs also . With the logging here its hard to hunt wolves as a mess .

12. The Following User Liked This Post By karm

Swingerguy (12-08-2019)