access or theft, not both

In this
    http://y2u.be/CtWqv0Z3ErM
    near 9:50
    he talks about how some higher end valuables are not put into the safe, so that if the safe does get robbed the higher end stuff doesn't get robbed.

Every time I get a person charged with unsafe storage the police are finger wagging about possible theft. I then have to set them straight on that.
    The judges do not know the safe storage law is only to restrict access. I am always educating judges.
    -- Mouthpiece

If you hide a firearm, then anyone who lives with you can access it.
    If you store your firearms in a safe, that reduces access to those who can get into the safe, but increases the likelihood of theft.

So,
    access or theft,
    pick one.

Bill Blair wants everyone to store their firearms in a way to prevent theft.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

killer kane (11-14-2019), Rory McCanuck (11-14-2019), Waterloomike (11-14-2019)

Considering there is no legal definition of what constitutes "safe storage" or what constitutes a "safe", it's kind of moot.
    The CFC says the storage laws are about deterring thefts, not stopping them. The law only says what ever you store your restricted firearms in must be "difficult to break into".
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Considering there is no legal definition of what constitutes "safe storage" or what constitutes a "safe", it's kind of moot.
    The CFC says the storage laws are about deterring thefts, not stopping them. The law only says what ever you store your restricted firearms in must be "difficult to break into".

Yeah the thing that I store my guns in that’s hard to break into is my house. But the cfo doesn’t see it that way :/
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Waynetheman

lone-wolf (11-14-2019), Rory McCanuck (11-14-2019)

It's not in the Firearms Act or regulations, but there is a legal definition of what constitutes a safe.
    It's in the Barnes decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Yeah the thing that I store my guns in that’s hard to break into is my house. But the cfo doesn’t see it that way :/
    We have attempted to argue that is court especially where the home is an apartment, each time the crown has withdrawn to prevent the argument from being made. The only case, as yet unreported, to deal with this is R.v. Barnes heard this year. This is not much of a precedent on the locked home being a container issue because the guns in question were full auto and required more stringent requirements than just a locked container. Certainly this is arguable because if one or two rooms of a home can be "gun rooms" the whole house may qualify. In the situation of a business the whole of many gun shops are certified to be safe storage, the guns are left on the racks and the store is locked at night, many items besides guns are in the store and the store is not exclusively guns. This logic applies across to homes as well. We always assert a locked home with barred windows and secure locks is a place of safe storage and in 32 years of court practice defending over 700 individuals since 1998 have never lost a case on that point.
    -- sweetheart

The RCMP page isn't the law.
    The law says that storing your non-restricted rifle with a trigger lock is safe storage according to the regulations. That isn't about theft, because there's no container or room, and because anyone could walk out with it.
    The law is about access. Not theft.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 11-14-2019 at 04:28 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Aniest (11-14-2019), Hillbillyh (11-14-2019), lone-wolf (11-14-2019), Waynetheman (12-07-2019)