Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    ...and what is getting all this love?
    These. The top one is a used stock that fits well and will do fine for the on the cheap build. The bottom one is an Italian made Minelli S.P.A. replacement stock from Stocky's Stocks in the USA. Brownells has them listed but are always out of stock (no pun intended) Stocky's are less to start with but they ship by courier so things get pricey from there. As always the dismal CDN/US dollar exchange makes for a financially hurtful hit. This is my first Minelli stock so it will be interesting to see how it goes up against the Boyd's.

IMG_0427.jpg
    This the Minelli. The mark on the wrist is tree fluff, not a flaw.
    IMG_0428.jpg
    This is the old, used thing that was stuck in behind some others.
    IMG_0429.jpg
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

kennymo (11-20-2019), Rory McCanuck (11-21-2019), Stew (11-20-2019)

Camera battery is charging while I rub and rub and rub.....

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Here’s hoping the next photos are of glossy rifle stocks.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Here’s hoping the next photos are of glossy rifle stocks.....
    Tung oil imparts a matte finish. Serious woodworkers know that tung oil never truly dries, it oxidizes and quietly creeps into whatever wood it has been applied to. It does not build up like linseed oil or get sticky when exposed to heat. It also cleans as it is applied, removing dirt and other gunk that may have attached itself to the stock. These stocks will likely take at least a week to do at the minimum. You do not notice a big difference after the first few coats so I will continue with the assembly all the while still applying more oil every couple of days.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

A couple of more coats on the stocks the past few days. Nothing exciting to see but they are filling in. Not as much needed of the 100% pure tung oil to coat then wipe off the excess 15-20 minutes later. Any shop towels/rags are thrown outside to avoid any combustion issues. My hand are getting a nice feel to them.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Now. Lets get to assemblin' the bolts now that we know the headspacing is all fine and good. Lots of photos as there were a few hidden twists to this one. These are the components we need. Bolt, extractor, extractor/detent, ejector and firing pin. Some are new items as this will be on the Beretta 'no expense spared' build.
    IMG_0445.jpg

Now things go south. I grease up the spring things and place them in their associated holes.
    IMG_0448.jpg

WTF? That's not even close. Whats happening? Answer; this bolt was reparked (not by I) and the holes are half filled with whatever was used to blast it before the blackening. A piece of wire, some brake cleaner and a few hard whacks on my bench vise cleaned out the holes.
    IMG_0450.jpg

Much better. If it had been left alone, it would not have fit into the bolt tool.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Now slide in the firing pin, and check the small cutout for the extractor to slide by and hold the works together.
    IMG_0451.jpg

Then add a tad bit off grease on the extractor and then into the tool to compress the ejector spring. Line the fixed pin up with the ejector.
    IMG_0452.jpg

I usually give the extractor a light tap to set the extractor in place and 'bingo' you are done. A light tap, you don't want to FUBAR that little detent spring if its sticking out to far. (springs can be nipped off a little bit at a time if they don't co-operate or the ejector sends your fired brass to Nebraska)
    IMG_0454.jpg
    Use a bit of caution when working with any compressed parts. Safety glasses are recommended and keep a lookout for parts that may go off into another dimension if they get out of your greasy mitts. It's an ugly feeling when you see one of those parts go sailing out the shop door and you do not have any spares.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

As there are two builds going on, the other bolt will be assembled the same way. No need to show any of that.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Took a break and helped with some lighting outside. Christmas is coming and the Better Half says that Grey Cup weekend is the weekend that the lights HAVE TO BE DONE!

I would like to do a video of disassembly and re-assembly of the trigger grouping but there are lots of yu-tube videos that will guide you through that. One Big Warning!!! Do not attempt to do this while the hammer is cocked. All kind of evil will befall those who dare try! I had an associate send me his after he had started and it was like disarming a grenade after the pin had been pulled.

Another heads up. Do not fall for the 'field modified' safety. JC Garand designed it like it is for a reason. DO NOT MESS WITH GENIUS! It's broken, so if you have one like that , replace it. Sure, G.I.'s said it was easier and quieter to use in battle but we are not going to war with anyone soon.

Remove trigger pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FALover; 11-24-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Pullout guts using care.
    Attachment 19618
    Last edited by FALover; 11-24-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast