Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    ...where was I?.. 200/loose screw.. ok. Once the knob is free to spin, turn it to the number 2 (two) position WHILE HOLDING THE APERTURE FROM MOVING! line it up with the mark on the rear sight base elevation line.
    IMG_0585.jpg

. Once again, hold the knob from turning with the pliers and tighten the screw up securely.
    IMG_0586.jpg

...and the sight is set and done.
    IMG_0587.jpg
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Miserable rainy day outside so I will add a few more photos for those following this exercise. If you have any questions feel free to ask and if I can answer them without sounding like a maroon, I will. Remember I am just a old fart who has too much time on his hands, not some Garand god.

Now that the rear handguard has survived the clip fitting it gets installed on the barreled receiver. This is simple. Just place the short side in the left groove and gently push it down and around to the right side groove. It should just click into place.
    Attachment 19727

Next,slide the lower barrel band down the barrel with the little hole facing the receiver and fit it onto the rear handguard and line up the hole with the small cutout on the bottom of the barrel. If all goes as it should, the little spring pin will tap in. If things do not go well the pin might spread open and refuse to comply with the hammer and punch or just ping off and go missing. These pins are dirt cheap at any auto parts jobber so do not get rooked into paying through the nose for them. I bought a box of 100 for $5 and change.
    Attachment 19725

Once this one got started it slid right in.
    Attachment 19726
    I hearby nominate FALover to be forthwith referred to and addressed as GOC's official "God of Garands"
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

Dewey Cox (12-09-2019), Rory McCanuck (12-06-2019)

AKA “The Garand Godfather”,
    Not to be confused with the codfather, or the “Gun Goddess”!!!
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

5. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

Swingerguy (12-10-2019)

If you recall at the beginning of this project, I mentioned that there was going to be a shadow build. A not so pretty half sibling that although may not win best in show, it will still shoot straight. I will have to go through some papers/invoices/etc and just do the $$$ numbers on each of these. Thanks for following this thread, the comments and here's to lighting a wee fire under those who are still contemplating assembling one for themselves. I will have to get these over to the range and see how they perform. Probably better than me in all this snow.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

...and the improvised burglar deterrent.
    IMG_0588.jpg

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

Camo tung (12-09-2019), Stew (12-09-2019)

FALover, I was meaning to ask: When you first started building Garands, how many hours did it take you to produce your first one? (Excluding the multiple treatments the stocks require with oil ... I know that's a few minutes each day over several weeks). Now that you have a few under your belt, how long does it take you?

I have enjoyed following along on this thread. I will be taking the plunge and am just awaiting delivery of my first kit from Aztech. The receivers (yes, 2) arrived last week. I bought 1 from 2 different sources. This DIY manual is going to be an essential part of my resources when I get going. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by rcoville View Post
    FALover, I was meaning to ask: When you first started building Garands, how many hours did it take you to produce your first one? (Excluding the multiple treatments the stocks require with oil ... I know that's a few minutes each day over several weeks). Now that you have a few under your belt, how long does it take you?

I have enjoyed following along on this thread. I will be taking the plunge and am just awaiting delivery of my first kit from Aztech. The receivers (yes, 2) arrived last week. I bought 1 from 2 different sources. This DIY manual is going to be an essential part of my resources when I get going. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

When I dove headfirst into this rabbit hole 5-6 years back, I had no idea of what it took to assemble a Garand from a mess of parts. I obtained a copy of The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck, read it over a few times and then went at it. Watched a few yutube videos as well just because. Other than his finish reaming instructions which were not applicable to me as I was using a pull through reamer, It took 2-3 hours. Now it is half that. I have had a couple of gaffes. Most memorable (and expensive) was trying to ream a chrome lined .308 barrel (I was not aware of this feature). In a matter of minutes I ruined a perfectly good reamer as you cant cut chrome. Live and learn I suppose.

Best wishes with your upcoming build. It's well worth the effort to bring a stripped receiver back to life.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

Dewey Cox (12-09-2019), Rory McCanuck (12-09-2019), Stew (12-09-2019)

Ouch. That would have hurt the wallet for sure.

Do you have a source for pull-through reamers in Canada that don't require a 2nd mortgage on your house to purchase? Or did you just go to Brownells for yours?

Quote Originally Posted by rcoville View Post
    Ouch. That would have hurt the wallet for sure.

Do you have a source for pull-through reamers in Canada that don't require a 2nd mortgage on your house to purchase? Or did you just go to Brownells for yours?
    Brownells for the original. Clymer for my replacement. The one I sent back was beyond redemption. They returned it with my new purchase and I keep it as a subtle reminder to always be aware of what I am working with.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Rory McCanuck (12-10-2019)

Where do I mail my cheque?
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213