Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The other forum says it's going to as $1149, which isn't too bad, but the comments are really hammering away at it.

People calling it ugly, people saying the first one was junk, people saying they're fixing the wrong things wrong with it, etc.

I think they're going the wrong way with the design, personally, but that's just one opinion.

I think they should have continued to try to get the base rifle as cheap as possible, and let people upgrade it if they want.
    I have no signature block.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    The other forum says it's going to as $1149, which isn't too bad, but the comments are really hammering away at it.

People calling it ugly, people saying the first one was junk, people saying they're fixing the wrong things wrong with it, etc.

I think they're going the wrong way with the design, personally, but that's just one opinion.

I think they should have continued to try to get the base rifle as cheap as possible, and let people upgrade it if they want.
    Agreed. Canadian gun owners are the worst customers ever. Howler monkeys in the internet that aren't even customers are worse.

I never had problems with cocking the standard charging handle with one finger, but an FN or HK style side charger will always be way better.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

killer kane (11-18-2019), lone-wolf (11-18-2019)

RobertMcC
    Only with the OEM crappy handle, really.

As long as you have the Raptor-style with the big wing flippers, you can cock the thing pretty easily with your offhand without taking your control hand off the grip.
    Big isn't always the best. I remember when they went from the A1, to A2 charging handle, that thing caught on everything. But with the AR180 style charging handle, it's more forward, so you need to move your hand less. So by the time you pulled back the AR180 style and releasing it. With a AR you are still moving backwards to grab the AR and then having to pull it back more.

And say if you got a M4 stock completely collapsed, there is a greater chance of punching yourself in a face too.

Like my Hera Arms CPE vs my Dad's K POS. It would be better if the Kpos charging handle was more forward. But you gotta reach back more in order to pull back the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    But the operators will still hate on it because it doesn't have a dust cover.

As for the side charger handle retention, I apply wheel bearing grease to the contact points inside the receiver and have had no galling issues.

But I imagine said operators don't use grease cuz all the mud that gets inside the receiver will stick to it.
    The most famous AR15 I build, never had a dust cover.

I had a AR180B2, and the thing I didn't like was the RH charging handle, had to reach over or under if you wanted to operate it without taking hand off the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    The rear charging handle is the least ergonomic feature of the AR.
    In the "olden days" it was very ergonomic because you operated it with your right hand (as a right-hand shooter) gripping it with two fingers, one one each side of the handle, while your left hand stayed gripping the forestock and pulling the rifle into your shoulder. Then after you let go of the handle, as your right hand came forward, you hit the forward assist and closed the ejection port cover before re-gripping the pistol grip. It could be done quickly in a very fluid motion, back then forward, if practiced.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Big isn't always the best. I remember when they went from the A1, to A2 charging handle, that thing caught on everything...
    I completely agree with you that the as-issued A2 cocking handle was ridiculous (and the mag release, for that matter). Couldn't march 1km down the road without some troops dropping their mags loose.

Industry has solved that for the most part, though. It's not just the Raptor, but other companies have made cocking handles that you can easily get leverage on that still don't catch on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    In the "olden days" it was very ergonomic because you operated it with your right hand (as a right-hand shooter) gripping it with two fingers, one one each side of the handle, while your left hand stayed gripping the forestock and pulling the rifle into your shoulder. Then after you let go of the handle, as your right hand came forward, you hit the forward assist and closed the ejection port cover before re-gripping the pistol grip. It could be done quickly in a very fluid motion, back then forward, if practiced.
    That's pretty much all done now, the focus is on keeping your strong hand on the grip for as much as possible.

RobertMcC
    Unfortunately that so outdated now. Okay for open field combat, but not good for CQB. I remember when I got in ( 2001 ) We didn't have M203s yet in the unit, still using M72s, we still were attacking trenches, and open field targets. FIBUA/CQB we used that technique. It was slow, and lead to simulated deaths. Because was taking the gun off the target or shoulder, or kneeling to clear a jam etc. But we also was throwing in Grenades, and running in full auto ( way out dated but fun ) Then slowly developed the right hand on the grip, and using left to cock. More modern gunfighter program that we see now.

RobertMcC
    I completely agree with you that the as-issued A2 cocking handle was ridiculous (and the mag release, for that matter). Couldn't march 1km down the road without some troops dropping their mags loose.

Industry has solved that for the most part, though. It's not just the Raptor, but other companies have made cocking handles that you can easily get leverage on that still don't catch on things.

That's pretty much all done now, the focus is on keeping your strong hand on the grip for as much as possible.
    The A1 you could still operate one handed. Those 2 things were the first to go overseas. Mid way of work up we switched from A1 to A2s and I honestly didn't like the A2s.

Oh I know, I was just pointing out why it was what it was. Personally I bought a Raptor for my DD. Only "mod" that rifle has.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    we still were attacking trenches, and open field targets.
    Double-tap, dash, down, crawl, observe, sights, fire! lol, good times. Easy with a C7, took a bit of strength with a C1 as the dash/down part would be holding the rifle one-handed.

...Easy with a C7, took a bit of strength with a C1 as the dash/down part would be holding the rifle one-handed.
    I did my QL2 and QL3 combined as one course in the summer of 1994 and it was with old school C7s and the carrying handle irons.

We didn't get the rifles with optics until I got back to the home unit, and mine was broken so I got to be the C9 gunner (which I wanted anyway).

Back to the main topic, thank god we don't use that crappy C1/C2 monstrosity anymore.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast