Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yet another opinion about lubrication from author and firearms teacher

This blog is over 10 years old, and I came across it while looking into what others thought about white lithium grease. He has researched lubrication fairly well, but also doesn't believe it is as critical to choose the right stuff as some might believe.

The article doesn't touch on cleaning, only lubrication.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...brication-101/

It could be too long for busy people to read, but here are a couple of take aways:

contrary to what a lot of marketing hype will try to tell you, firearms aren’t generally all that hard on lubricants
    What about greases – do we even need them? You bet! I use the General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts that carry a load. In firearms, grease is most appropriate for any part interaction that has a scraping (aka “shear”) type of action, and will be subjected to pressure or shock. What kinds of parts are we talking about? Slide rails, bolt carriers, and sears – especially double-action sears. (An example of a sliding part that should not be greased is the trigger bow of the 1911 pistol – it carries virtually no load, and is subject to almost no stress; it also is under very light tension, so little that a thickened lubricant could reduce its free movement.)
    He was a fan of using ATF in the past, but now favors food machinery greases.

Well worth the read.
    Seems to agree with our big discussion from a while ago, about gun oils being snake oils.

https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...firearms-world

Good grief, that was 4 1/2 years ago

And this one from a couple years ago.
    https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...ve-come-across
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Just to reiterate....22 weight hydraulic oil on everything. Zero problems.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I’m addicted to the smell of G96.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

5. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

Neil Burke (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    I’m addicted to the smell of G96.
    Have you taken a whiff of their nitro solvent? Much more potent.
    Memeber of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

"...gun oils being snake oils..." It's more about stuff with the word 'gun' in its name costing more for the same thing. You do not need any product that has the word 'gun' in its name. Grease and oil is grease and oil.
    White lithium grease is expensive stuff. A wee 1.5 ounce tube runs $14.99 on Amazon.ca(pricey place to start). $7.99 for a 290 gram(10 ounces) spray can in Princess Auto. $5.03 for 400 grams of car grease in Crappy Tire
    "...“3-in-1” oil..." That'll do nicely, but oil is not as good as grease for metal parts moving on metal parts. “3-in-1” brand oil is a light oil. Vs blacksmithden's hydraulic oil. Neither oil nor grease is any good in extreme cold though.

been talking to a couple older gentlemen (80s) who believe the only guns worth shooting are 1911s in .45acp. They both TOLD me to use Lucas Red n Tacky on slides and metal to metal applications, they were so adamant about it one gave me a tube, they both use sewing machine oil for oiling, one confessed he buys white mineral oil and refills their little Singer cans

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...“3-in-1” oil..." That'll do nicely, but oil is not as good as grease for metal parts moving on metal parts. “3-in-1” brand oil is a light oil. Vs blacksmithden's hydraulic oil. Neither oil nor grease is any good in extreme cold though.
    Funny. Hydraulic oil manages to keep 10 million dollar mine shovels and 4.5 million dollar haul truck hydraulic systems lubricated in -50c temperatures. Did you by chance read the part where I said "zero problems" with using it on my guns ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Rory McCanuck (11-23-2019), x0ra (02-16-2020)

I had settled down on G96 too, as it is doing everything in the "CLP" role. I also like the way how a sprayed solvent followed by toothbrush can somewhat substitute for cleaning with a full tear down in the small parts I normally don't disassemble.

I will start adding some grease with semis, after noticing where grease had been applied at the factory for a couple of new firearms. White lithium is rated on the package I have from Canadian Tire to -40C. Some products like wheel bearing grease are rated even lower.

With the addition of grease towards the back of the bolt and/or slide for a couple of semis, I find the sound of the cycling it is less "clangy". I'm sure I could get away with not doing any grease, but it is one of those things I'll do because it makes sense that grease handles pressure/loads better. I'm going to need to add toothpicks to the toolbox so I can add only a small dab where I want it.

Like the article says, firearms are not that demanding for lubrication needs. So there are going to be dozens of success stories of using substance X and no problems.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Dropped in at the local TSC Store this week. (almost as much fun as Princess Auto) and grabbed some various workshop sundries. This caught my eye, a bit more $$$ than the usual but it has a nice red colour (whatever that does). It will be what my Garands will get for some time. From general maintenance to massaging in after anything gets re-parkerized it will also keep the zerks on my little JD happy.
    IMG_0455.jpg
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Mark-II (01-18-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast