Venison chilli! And a little story about my hatred of Purolator Courier.

So I managed to tag a smallish, but freezer filling doe this year (with a little help best saved for the BS hunting tales thread) and boy is she tasty. Had some of the backstrap last weekend over mashed taters, with some stir-fried cauliflower and a lovely pan sauce made with some apple cider and mushrooms.

This weekend, I makes the chilli!

What I used:

3lbs ground venison
    3 cans of 6 bean medley (I like the varying textures from the different beans)
    2 cans of RoTel
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of crushed tomatoes
    1 can of green chillis
    1 baseball sized yellow onion, chopped
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1 head of garlic, chopped (that was a lot of peeling for my big, clumsy meathooks)
    1 small can of tomato paste
    2 beef boullion cubes
    chilli powder*
    cumin*
    salt*
    pepper*
    garlic powder*
    onion powder*
    cinnamon*
    Worcestershire sauce*
    sweet paprika*
    smoked paprika*
    cayenne pepper*
    red pepper flakes*
    hot prepared mustard (optional for you, but not for me, because I love that stuff)*
    beer (Nothing too hoppy or bitter, I recommend a lager, but stay away from that mass produced recycled moose piss!)*

*denotes to taste

This is how I do it:

1: Get your en place mised (thanks for that one, Babish!) such as hacking up your veggies, popping open your cans, meat baggies open and drained if they're a little on the wet side, pots/pans on the stove, spices and seasonings at the ready. You know, the important stuff.

2: In a pot sufficient enough in size for all this awesomeness, brown your meat over medium-high heat. You want to get some of that lovely Maillard reaction going on your venison. Feel free to splash some oil, butter, bacon fat or the like to lube up that ultra lean venison. Add some salt, and some of your spices while she's browning off to get some flavor in there. Be sure to taste the meat, and go easy on the salt for now. You can always add more later. It's all about the layering of flavors! Because my stock pot didn't show up from Amazon in time because Purolator sucks donkey scrotum, I had to do the browning stages in my jeebus big frying pan, then transfer to the 16qt roasting pan I have.

3: Add your chopped onion, and let it start to sweat a little. Use some of the moisture to help get some of the fond off the bottom of the pan. That stuff is pure flavor. Once the onions are sweating, add your garlic, and do the same. Keep going until it's fragrant.

4: Add the tomato paste. Doing this part now will soften the flavor of the paste some, and suck up any residual moisture, and help spread that beefy, tomatoey goodness later on. Let 'er rip for a couple of minutes, and taste a little bit. You might just want to stop here and slather that on a slice of toast and call it a sloppy joe.

5: Crumble in your boullion cubes, and mix well.

6: Bless the pot with a splash of beer. It'll deglaze the pan, lift even more of the fond up, and add more FLAVOR!

7: Add your tomatoes, green chillis, RoTel and mustard to the pot and mix well, bringing it up to the gentlest of simmer. Be sure to rinse the cans with some more beer, or water and add that too. Because of my issues with Purolator (I swear their motto is: If we can't park less than three steps from the front door, we'll call your address inaccessible and you can come by on Monday and pick up your damn package, Amazon Prime or not) I did this and most of the following steps in my roaster and then added the meat to that.

8: Taste your mix and adjust seasoning if needed. You can even bless the pot with more beer now.

9: Add your beans, mix more.

10: Depending on how crunchy or soft you like your green peppers to be, you can add them now, or closer to the end of the cook. I leave that up to you. I will say this, if you like to roast your peppers like I do, there's no harm in adding them early. I've done chilli with Poblanos, Anchos, Anaheims, and Bells. All I could get this time around was Bells, so that's what I'm stuck with, and I didn't bother to roast them since my tailgater is out of propane and I didn't want to trip a smoke alarm in my apartment. But I highly recommend you try that method on your grill or whatever fire source you have. Roast them until you get a nice, even blistering char on the skins, then place them in a plastic baggie and let them steam. The skins will slip right off. Then you can seed and cut them, and even add a little of that charred skin for some fire roasted flavor.

10A: Let that pot tick over for a few hours at that barest simmer, uncovered if the level isn't too high. If it is and you want to keep your stove clean, either keep the lid cracked off about half an inch or put it in a low oven (225F) stirring periodically. If you're small-batching, or you just have one big enough, a slow cooker on low heat is a viable option. Just brown off your meat and sweat the onions and garlic separately like I did, then add to the crock. Depending on your preferences, you can let it run anywhere from an hour to overnight like I do.

11: Once veggies are done to your liking, the onions are good and tender to the point of almost breaking down, and the garlic is doing the same, you can tuck in. I like to dress up my bowl with some sweet corn (I tend to rinse off the frozen stuff under some water from the kettle to thaw it out, then mix it in, letting them come up to temperature in the chilli) and I'll slice and fry some mushrooms for Missy, since she like that. If you like cheese, grate some cheddar or pepperjack on top. Sour cream? Do a dollop. More heat? I like Franks, Tabasco, Cholula, or Jackass Chipotle Lime. Whatever your go-to hot sauce is, feel free to add it whenever you want, and as much as you want. Serve it up with tortilla chips, Texas Toast, Sourdough bread or one of your better half's fresh baked dinner rolls with some butter.

I won't waste your time with what a bowl of chilli looks like, but if you really want the instagram pictures, I'm sure Missy will have them posted after supper tomorrow.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grizz Axxemann

JustBen (12-01-2019), Rory McCanuck (11-24-2019)

ain't you done yet? How's it look? Taste good?
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I didn't see bacon in the ingredients. Surely that was just an oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post

ain't you done yet? How's it look? Taste good?
    Looked like a bowl of chilli. But it tasted AWESOME. Missy made some home made dinner rolls to go with it, which made it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I didn't see bacon in the ingredients. Surely that was just an oversight.
    I've never actually put bacon in my chilli. I've tried a few times, but it gets eaten too fast. Quality control.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Grizz Axxemann

FALover (12-02-2019), firemachine69 (12-01-2019), JustBen (12-02-2019)