Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Minister of Silly Walks pewpew62's Avatar

My ARs Accuracy Sucks - 8 groups at 40 Yards

I have a Diamond Back AR15, 16 barrel, Nikon Blackforce 1000 4x on a cheapo mount. With Federal American Eagle Black 55gr, my groups suck. Shooting off the bench using a bipod at 42 yards, my groups are 8.

The muzzle crown looks healthy and the upper to lower fit seems snug, just the slightest bit of play. I suppose I should tie it down to a lead sled to remove me from the equation, but just looking for reasons why ARs typically have accuracy issues and where to get best bang for buck upgrades.

I was thinking of a Warne X-Skel mount for the Nikon and a Giselle trigger, but dont want to bark up the wrong tree. Any suggestions appreciated.

8 inches at 40 yards seems excessive for any gun.

I'd try a better mount and a different optic before I got excited about anything else.

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By JustBen

GonZo (10-01-2019), lone-wolf (09-28-2019), Mark-II (10-28-2019), Sinbad (09-28-2019), Waynetheman (09-28-2019)

A lead sled will only make things worse, JustBen has a good suggestion that I would try before doing anything else. A scope that is busted will never give you a tight group.

Loose/broken Scope/Mount?

I bought a rifle off the marketplace here a couple years back. Its accuracy was the worst I had ever seen.
    I'm sure that is why it was for sale at a very good price. Turned out that the holes for the scope mounts were not tapped properly.
    When you tap a blind hole you use three taps. A taper tap to start the threads a plug tap followed by a bottoming tap to finish them.
    The scope mount holes didn't get the last cut from the bottoming tap so the screws holding the scope mounts on were tight
    because they were binding up at the bottom of the threaded holes but the mounts were slightly loose allowing the scope to move.
    Check the simple things first.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By t_glover

Hidyn (09-30-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-28-2019)

What kind of bipod is it? If it is fairly rigid your rifle is going to bounce on the bench. It may not be noticeable to you but it will bounce enough to give groups like that. I tried a cheaper bipod that didn’t have enough play with my AR and had huge groups.

Remove the bipod and shoot on the bench with some sandbags under the hand guard.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

It does not hurt to ask a couple of other people (who are also 'good shots') to try it, to get their first hand opinion.

I'm in the same camp as Doug.

The key to achieving consistent accuracy with a bipod is to not place it on a hard surface; keep the legs set as low to the ground as possible to minimize their flex while the bullet is still in the barrel; lean slightly into the rifle to "pre-stress" the bipod legs and firm up their setting; and use a consistent grip on the rifle.

Along with the type of bipod, what height is it? The longer the legs the more the issues are magnified.

No need for lead sled, sandbags or some other support will work enough to let you know if the bipod is the issue. Also see if a second shooter gets the same results

Bad scope, loose rings(on the scope or receiver), or possibly loose barrel(I'm not sure if possible with an ar)
    Would be what I'd look at.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Try with iron sights to see whats up? Your accuracy is worse than a .32 rimfire Remington rolling block.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast