Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

History of The Avro Arrow

14 mins

http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver
    ** Member CSSA, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?

Watched this the other day. I love this guy’s channel.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Battle Beaver (12-02-2019)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    ...makes me sad to watch how Canada lost an edge on the aerospace industry.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Sadly , many who worked on the Arrow ended up working in the U.S ; there was a movie about it several years ago .
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

I met two pilots who flew with Zura in WWII. One at a Mohawk gas station in Castlegar BC and the other was the FIL of a guy i worked with. Zura was the test pilot for the program and one heck of a great pilot.

Janusz Żurakowski - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Janusz_Żurakowski

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    My grandfather was a machinist at the A.V.Roe plant in Malton. He remembered the original Black Friday as numerous security guards went through the plant and had him and others go through their toolbox's looking for anything that was project related. Nothing was spared. He retired shortly afterwards and lived out the rest of his days in Bolton. Curling and maintaining the old arena was what kept him busy.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Battle Beaver (12-03-2019)

I used to be mad about the Arrow. I'm still not happy about how the timing of how it went down to kill our aviation industry. But in terms of the aircraft itself, there was no conspiracy.

The US also had 2 aircraft with similar specs - the XB-70 Valkyrie and XF-108 Rapier - which were cancelled around the same time as the Arrow. The ICBM and anti-aircraft missiles took over the roles for best speed.

There was also the promise by Kennedy to make supersonic airlines, which was funded heavily by the government. Both Boeing and Lockheed were developing one. In all cases, it was simply too costly and inefficient to make something that can go 2 or 3 times the speed of sound. It requires metals able to handle the heat, and then the weight goes up dramatically, reducing range and payload. You can look up videos on youtube such as "The American SST Story".

Lab,

Not to mention the F4 Phantom and SR71 Blackbird that were both in development around that time.

I like the legend of the Avro Arrow as well, but it's not like the US wasn't working on their own high performance planes.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

The issue was everything under development could not hold a candle to the Arrow.

I met a retired RCAF member decades ago that was stationed where the were developing the new engine (Orenda) for the Arrow and he told me it was going to make the plane so superior and the Yanks were not happy. He told me the tests of the new engine shocked even the developers who worked on it, it was that good.

The Phantom was a dog compared to the Arrow and the Blackbird was developed as a spy plane and irrelevant to the situation.

Dief caved and the rest is history.

Avro Aero, first flight March 25, 1958, top speed reached Mach 1.98 but with the less powerful engines.
    The airframe shape could handle Mach 3, but would have required carbon steel and titanium to overcome heat in sustained flight, rather than the aluminum the first version was built with. In 1957 Americans were having trouble coming up with an airframe shape that was stable/maneuverable/practical above Mach 2, and the Aero windtunnel experiments beat them to that.

F4 Phantom, first flight May 27, 1958, top speed of Mach 2.2.

Black Friday. February 20th 1959. End of Avro company.

SR-71, first flight 22 December 1964, top speed Mach 3.3 (or so).
    Last edited by RangeBob; 12-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast