Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box to 1000m

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    I have some 175 gr 30 cal. from a batch made for the US Marines that they were using in the 300 Win Mag. I think they are Sierra and the boat tail is slightly different from other 30 cal. I have not tried them in a reload yet but apparently they are amazing at long range and hope to develop a load over the winter.
    Are you sure it's 175gr? From my understanding the 175gr would be the Sierra Match Kings that would be for the M118LR rounds, designed for the M40A1 and later carried over to the Mk316 round, both in 7.62x51.

The 300 Win Mag rounds they are/were using is the A191, which is a 185gr Lapua D46 Bullet:

index.jpg

The Mk248 Mod 0 round which is a 190gr Sierra Match King and the Mk248 Mod 1 which uses a 220gr Sierra Match King.

Now that being said, the D46 round was supposedly semi experimental and there was talk of it being a "war crime" or some crap due to it "expanding". So I'm wondering though maybe there was an experiment with a 175gr for the 300 Win Mag and you got some of those rounds? If so that is pretty epic!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Lee Enfield (12-11-2019)

Photobucket won't even let me look at my old pictures.
    Thats good work with a 308. What bullet did you use that would stay stable across the sound barrier? Nosler CC 155gr over 45grs of Varget. And Lapua 155gr scenars over the same powder. The challenge of the day was who would hit the mile target first. 14 hits of 22 shots on the mile target. Ask Steve of EM Precision rifles. We have the jackets from the bullets.

Last edited by tigrr; 12-11-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Are you sure it's 175gr? From my understanding the 175gr would be the Sierra Match Kings that would be for the M118LR rounds, designed for the M40A1 and later carried over to the Mk316 round, both in 7.62x51.

The 300 Win Mag rounds they are/were using is the A191, which is a 185gr Lapua D46 Bullet:

index.jpg

The Mk248 Mod 0 round which is a 190gr Sierra Match King and the Mk248 Mod 1 which uses a 220gr Sierra Match King.

Now that being said, the D46 round was supposedly semi experimental and there was talk of it being a "war crime" or some crap due to it "expanding". So I'm wondering though maybe there was an experiment with a 175gr for the 300 Win Mag and you got some of those rounds? If so that is pretty epic!
    They don't have that base but the base is visibly different than a regular Sierra BT. IIRC the box was labeled Military Custom??

They are 175gr and came from USMC .300 Win Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    They don't have that base but the base is visibly different than a regular Sierra BT. IIRC the box was labeled Military Custom??

They are 175gr and came from USMC .300 Win Mag.
    Ok those are very cool then! My guess is they are something experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Nosler CC 155gr over 45grs of Varget. And Lapua 155gr scenars over the same powder.

I'm surprised a 155gr bullet would do that distance. They don't have the best BC for really long range work. I've used the 208 AMAX, which starts off slower but doesn't bleed velocity like smaller bullets.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Lee Enfield (12-11-2019)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    I know nothing about bullets or ballistics,,

just know I'm setting an 8 inch gong at 1000
    CSSA

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Billythreefeathers

6MT (01-27-2020), Drache (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    I know nothing about bullets or ballistics,,

just know I'm setting an 8 inch gong at 1000
    Good luck with that. We've got a 6" gong at 700 yds and it is a bastard to hit under decent conditions. Of course my wife went and plugged it dead centre with the first round last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Photobucket won't even let me look at my old pictures.
    Thats good work with a 308. What bullet did you use that would stay stable across the sound barrier? Nosler CC 155gr over 45grs of Varget. And Lapua 155gr scenars over the same powder. The challenge of the day was who would hit the mile target first. 14 hits of 22 shots on the mile target. Ask Steve of EM Precision rifles. We have the jackets from the bullets.

I picked up 600 of the 155gr Scenar bullets and I have a bunch of Varget waiting Just finished moly coating the bullets, now just need to finish case prep.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Good luck with that. We've got a 6" gong at 700 yds and it is a bastard to hit under decent conditions. Of course my wife went and plugged it dead centre with the first round last summer.
    ok,,, then a 10 inch gong,, we have a 8 inch at 500,,, on a good day, no wind, pretty steady plinking,
    CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    ok,,, then a 10 inch gong,, we have a 8 inch at 500,,, on a good day, no wind, pretty steady plinking,
    There is a world of difference between 500yds and 1000yds. The difficulty rises exponentially with distance. Doubling the range makes it 4x as difficult.

Personally I'd call 500yds a chip shot. I know guys who are doing 300yds with a 22 rimfire.

Wind, mirage, high scope magnification, shooting skill etc all make a big big difference at extended ranges.

I'm not saying you can't do it, only that it is more difficult than you think it will be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast