Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What happens to gun store ledgers?

In the late 80's and 90's when guns were prohibited the government used the large green ledger books of purchasers that stores were required to keep to track down the owners of newly prohibited firearms. It's been some time since I bought a firearm in a store and was wondering if the ledgers still exist, what happens to them and how far back do they go?

In the absence of the long gun registry (thank you CPC and Stephen Harper!) what resources exist for the authorities to track down the owners of soon-to-be prohibited firearms?

None. Everyone has sold those NR firearms, including the one they bought yesterday. And so did the guy they sold them too. And private sellers don't have to keep records.

3. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By shootemup604

Camo tung (01-01-2020), chrisc (12-11-2019), Gunexpert007 (12-18-2019), joe6167 (12-11-2019), Petamocto (12-18-2019), RELOAD (12-17-2019), Smc (12-11-2019), spider69 (01-01-2020)

Now gun stores don't have to write down non-restricted firearm purchases although some do to an extent to cover their asses. In case Police decide to pull the whole "you sold a gun to someone without checking their PAL" BS, the store at least can say "well we have proof we did".

These records for non-restricted purchases do NOT have to be handed over to the Government. Police can ask politely if you sold gun with such and such a serial number to a person and who that person is, but they cannot get a warrant to see your entire records.

Records only exist for Distributors. Police have access to see which gun was sold from a distributor to a store and that is as far as official records go.

The green books are gone, or maybe they are still used for restricted. LGS uses a foolscap notebook to show the CFO they're checking cards and they only keep very recent stuff. I'm sure they aren't writing anything down right now.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemup604 View Post
    None. Everyone has sold those NR firearms, including the one they bought yesterday. And so did the guy they sold them too. And private sellers don't have to keep records.
    How did you know? I sold all mine some time ago.....

And the conversation would go something like:

Gosh no, I don't remember his name. He drove a minivan. I think it was blue.

PAL? He did flash it to me, but I don't remember the details. I'm not obliged to write that stuff down, after all.

Hey, no problem, sorry I couldn't be more help. Yes, we really have to ensure that these deadly single-shot .22's are kept out of the hands of dangerous criminals, you're right

(And that conversation is the reason I only build my own rifles, and will never buy complete rifles from people with itchy dialing fingers who like to blab other peoples' business to Big Brother.)

My two cents:

Every time I've purchase a firearm in person, the store kept a record of it.

being a responsible firearm owner mean you keep track of who you've sold your firearms to and that you've checked to confirm that they have a valid PAL.

and when the police or government wants that info, they can produce a warrant.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

no-one special (01-01-2020)

the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

His name was Mike, he said he was from Canmore

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Stew

Dsrussett (12-20-2019), Kegcaissy (01-01-2020), x0ra (01-04-2020)

None of the stores that I bought used NR firearms from , asked for , or recorded any personal information other than to look at my PAL/RPAL ....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunexpert007 View Post
    None of the stores that I bought used NR firearms from , asked for , or recorded any personal information other than to look at my PAL/RPAL ....
    Same with my local gun stores. Just the way it should be as far as im concerned.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By oilman28

Gunexpert007 (01-01-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast