Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Challenge: A Real Conversation (CCFR)

Who: Dr. Najma Ahmed (Canadian Doctors for Protection from Guns) & Rod Giltaca (Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights)

Where: Greater Toronto Area

Time: To be determined, in the month of March 2020 at 7:30pm (conversation duration is 90 minutes)

Admission: $20 at the door. Space is limited. ALL proceeds to local food bank.

Why: To politely and maturely discuss the most important questions concerning the relationship between private firearm ownership and public safety in Canada.

Event Description:

If Dr. Ahmed participates in this conversation, the CCFR will donate $10,000 to the Big Brothers and Sisters of Toronto and an additional $5,000 to a charity chosen together by Dr. Ahmed & Mr. Giltaca at the end of the evening.

Both Dr. Ahmed & Mr. Giltaca will commit to signing a photo release as the CCFR will film the event and upload it for viewing on the web. A high definition digital copy of the event will be provided to Dr. Ahmed upon request.

The CCFR will pay all expenses associated with the event.

For the donations to be awarded, both parties must act in a respectable and polite manner throughout the event and participate in the conversation in its entirety. Political talk will be kept to a minimum so the conversation can remain productive and on topic.

Format & Rules:

The moderator will begin the conversation by asking a question. The questions will be high level in scope as to provoke a discussion. For example, “is there evidence to support further regulation of firearms in Canada”? The first participant will have up to 3 minutes to form an answer. Then the other participant will have up to 3 minutes to provide a response. The conversation around this question will continue in this manner until such time as the participants agree to move on to the next question, or the moderator decides the current question has been satisfactorily explored.

Dr. Ahmed can accept this invitation in writing to info@firearmrights.ca and must share her acceptance on the Doctors for Protection from Guns Twitter account to verify authenticity. Acceptance must be received by no later than January 10, 2020. No substitutions.

The rules are simple and will facilitate a productive conversation.

#WillTheyAccept
    https://firearmrights.ca/en/a-real-c...l-they-accept/

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

LB303 (12-19-2019), Waterloomike (12-19-2019)

Of course she won't accept. The left doesn't debate. Debating means losing. There's nothing in it for her.
    Pew pew pew

4. The Following 9 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

chuckbuster (12-24-2019), ESnel (12-19-2019), kennymo (12-19-2019), lone-wolf (12-19-2019), Relic49 (12-19-2019), Rory McCanuck (12-19-2019), Swingerguy (12-25-2019), Waterloomike (12-19-2019), Zinilin (12-19-2019)

It's a clever move, appealing to her utilitarian side. I'm thinking she may accept but pull out at the last minute due to some 'emergency'
    "If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau

Who's the moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
    Who's the moderator?
    PolySeSouvient

Does anyone find the donation offer based on conditions a little cringey?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

9. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Waterloomike (12-19-2019)

I think it's perfectly fair for them to make the condition that both sides behave themselves. All too often we've seen the opponents not engage in honourable conduct. They use ad hominem attacks (like during the C71 hearings where one person, Holland if I recall right, used their entire time to attack Giltaca). So putting this condition makes sense. If the charity doesn't get the money they can be angry with the anti-gun group for misbehaving.

As much as I'd love to see Dr. Ahmed squirm when having to actually debate and not being able to rely on her "position of authority". I really don't think she would ever even consider agreeing to this. I mean I've seen other individuals try this with those on the left before (Milo Yiannopolous offered a sum for Anita Sarkeesian to debate him) but they never do it because it means risking them showing how little they know or how much they rely on not being challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    It's a clever move, appealing to her utilitarian side. I'm thinking she may accept but pull out at the last minute due to some 'emergency'
    She was invited to a debate with CCFR once before, but ignored it.

Actually Rod wanted a Discussion, but was willing to have a Debate.

ccfr.jpg

Update: Statement from CCFR’s Rod Giltaca
    “Some info on the situation:
    We didn't offer the BBBS a donation, we simply stated that should the debate happen, that we chose them for the donation. We spoke to them on 2 occasions after they were outraged that we were considering donating to them. I was told that they wouldn't consider a donation because they have been fighting against gun violence for years in Toronto.
    We tried to help them understand who we are but we failed.
    We do not want to hurt them. They are just a result of terrible misinformation spread by groups like the Doctors for Protection from Guns. The donation we were going to make wasn't 5k, it was 10k. They will get nothing but the CCFR does not want to damage them so I would encourage some restraint. We just have more work to do changing minds and fighting the negative campaigns of pro-confiscation groups.”
    I don't know how nobody thought this might be a bad idea
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

13. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

awndray (12-22-2019)

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast