Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Home Printer

So I and the Wife are technology challenged at best, just enough to surf and pay the bills and keep my job.

What is the best home printer for printing kinda en-masse for my own references and the kids endlessly dropping by for this and that. We currently have a Canon MP250 that has served well over the years but has given up the ghost on paper feeding evenly. I have gone thru every online tutorial to no avail and only held this long, as the wife just bought new ink for it......... Oh Ya, we want to make it wireless and make some room on the desk.

Anybody want some new cartridges for this old dinosaur? We are in Kelowna, I'll deliver..... ROFL!

3 in 1, 11X17 format capability is what you’re after. You may not think you need it, but it’ll be useful. Also helps make sure the other things are decent quality. Most everything is WiFi capable now.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I can only tell you about my circumstance. We might go 3 months without printing a single thing, and then I print a 200 page manual, Mrs BSD prints out a couple of 50 page forms for the kids.. then it sits for 3 months. Yeah...dried out expensive ink cartridges suck.

I bought a Brother MFC-9130CW all in one laser printer. Its big, but it does everything. Its on my home wireless network and I can print to it from any computer in the house or from my phone. Its pretty quiet too.

I get 3 black and 1 set of colour cartridges for it (aftermarket) on Amazon for around 100 bucks. That lasts me a few years usually. Best off all, no more dried out ink cartridges. You can let a laser printer sit for a year and it'll pick up right where it left off. They use a thermal plastic to print instead of ink. Its also quite fast - 17 pages a minute if I remember right. When I need it, its there, and it just works. Throw a 20 page document on top of it and itll scan it to your computer in pdf format, copy it, fax it (if you still have a land line).

I cant say enough good things about jumping from inkjet to all in one laser. The only thing I found it wont do is print pictures on glossy photo paper. It doesnt like that at all.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 12-19-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

SwissArmyMan (02-27-2020)

I use a multi-function black & white duplex (double sided printing on both sides of page) laser for most printing, and an ink-jet for colour and stiffer paper. Both have scanning/copying/fax ability too But they're both 10-years-old so there's no point in mentioning them.

An office I do business with got an Epson EcoTank several months back, and they just love that it doesn't have cartridges. It has separate ink reservoirs that you just top up (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow). There are several models of EcoTank available {ET-4750, ET-2750, ET-3750, ET-2650, etc}

my two cents...

get a cheap B&W laser printer.

I've got a HP LaserJet 1018 for like 12 years. Changed toner once. Gonna need a new toner soon. It's fairly fast when you need stuff printed. No ink to dry out.

HP is good solid printer. Low maintenance. Big company so you are fairly safe in assuming that the toner will be easily available when you need it.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I'd go with Rangebob, multi function duplex mono laser, get a colour inkjet printer as well if you absolutely need one for photo print

Epson good for photo print and Shaq recommends the Eco Tank series

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    my two cents...

get a cheap B&W laser printer.

I've got a HP LaserJet 1018 for like 12 years. Changed toner once. Gonna need a new toner soon. It's fairly fast when you need stuff printed. No ink to dry out.

HP is good solid printer. Low maintenance. Big company so you are fairly safe in assuming that the toner will be easily available when you need it.
    100% agree.

I picked up a Brother Printer/scanner/copier, monochrome laser, they are around $150 and it is the best printer I've ever had. I'll never inkjet again. If I need color, I'll go to staples and use their higher quality printers for $0.08 a copy.

The one I got:

https://www.staples.ca/products/2764...RoCKMoQAvD_BwE

Plus one for current b/w Brother products, they are excellent and easy to set up. Everyone will be able to print wirelessly with ease including from phones and tablets. You will find an all in one for $150 or so per coastal above. I ordered mine from amazon where they are frequently on sale. I get also get toner cartridges from amazon.

I saved a few bucks by not buying a model that doesnt print two sided.

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    As others have said - multi function B&W laser printer. I'm in a similar scenario, love my brother laser printer. Never looking at another ink jet.

I do most of my printing on an old HP 4050. Those and the older HP 4plus and 5 are built like tanks. Only things that go are feed rollers on the former and exit rollers on the latter, both serviceable.

The lack of USB means Ethernet only, though.

The problems I’ve seen with ultra cheap home lasers in the past is that once the imaging drum goes, you may as well buy a new printer. Maybe the new ones are different - I’ve not seen one for years.

I do have a colour inkjet in the HP Officejet Pro series. Those are supposed to be cheaper in ink but that still goes out the window if you do full page photos

Kyocera has some interesting smaller colour lasers that I would have liked to have tried at work - boasts long life drums and toner tanks for what was a reasonable price, at least for education. Alas...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast