Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Legalities of transporting on a motorcycle.

Have a browning SA22 and looking to purchase a Ruger 10/22 take down.

Wondering the legalities of transporting one or the other on my motorcycle, in a back pack to the range and back for some target shooting.

For one, the club Iím considering to look at membership is 1hr away. Riding is way more fun than driving and far far cheaper.

If this is legal I pretty much set on a 10/22 take down in stainless. If not then i have a bunch more considerations for potential fire arm purchases.

Take downs are shorter and the travel cases they come with are more rectangular. Good to go for exterior looks from public, and probably most comfortable way to carry firearms outside of handguns in hard shell saddlebags.

Banned
    Legal yes, as far as the Firearm Act is concerned, you could sling it on your back in the open (as it's non-restricted) and ride either in the country or in the busiest city. As long as it's not loaded (or AFAIK with a loaded magazine in), you're good. Advisable in 2020, no. In a backpack, out of sight, you're good.

shoot the Browning, use the Ruger cash for ammo
    backpack unless you have saddlebag that it'll fit in, transport as mentioned is no problem as long as it's unloaded

Completely legal and fairly normal.

Awesome. Thanks every one. I have every intention to still shoot that browning(if and when my mum releases it. Gramps bought it for her as her first gun back in the 50’s). It’s just not the one I want to shoot every week. And it looks really nice, don’t really want to be stuffing that one in a back pack.

As I always ride to range in the summer, with pistols, I asked a cop freind at range about rifle, same as everyone else says, legal, but please don't do it.

One more question what’s involved in transferring ownership of the guns in my mothers name to my name once I have my PAL. Any cost involved?

Your mother has her PAL?

Both the firearms you have mentioned are non-restricted rifles. There is nothing involved in "transferring ownership" of a non-restricted firearm. You both have a PAL, she gives it to you, it is now yours.

There is also a difference between "ownership" and "possession". You can own something you do not possess. You can possess something you do not own. The firearms licensing system in Canada is only concerned with possession and has no bearing on ownership.

Yes mother has what’s called a PAL. She has had her gun “license” or “FAC” since the 80s (they keep changing what they call it) and she just renews it. She has no actual knowledge of the guns and I have been looking after them since my grandfather passed almost 10 years ago. They are kept locked up at her house. Once I have my PAL the plan is for me to take them over and bring to a safe/cabinet in my house.

Back when the guns were transferred to her from my grandfather there was still the gun registers in effect.

But now that that’s gone I am unsure and having issues finding info what or if anything is needed to be done for me to take the guns and relocate them permently to my house.

I’m also considering having mum buy the rifle I want now (with my $$) before my wife sees the funds set aside lol. And then when I have the PAL take it over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast