Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing old blue Loctite from threads and such

I'm more specifically talking about 'Guntite,' as sold by Uncle Mike's. I had quite a problem with it while I was fast-mounting a scope, could not get all of it out of the threads both the male and female bolt components, it was there like dried glue or varnish, which meant I couldn't even estimate the proper torques. I'll eventually be wanting to remount the scope with more care, esp because it came out wildly off target, so my problem is:

How do I completely remove the old Loctite next time? Heat or what? This has never happened to me before, the stuff would just flake away when the thread lock was broken.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

A wire brush and some elbow grease ought to solve that problem. If not and you're concerned about it interfering with correct torque values then most receiver screws are one of 3 standard sizes. As long as you bring an example to your local gun shop I'd wager they'll likely have replacement screws on hand.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Mineral spirits should lift it off the metal then you can scrub it off. If that's not doing a reasonable job paint stripper is the stronger alternative recommended by Loctite.

From the Loctite site (Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242):

Cleanup

Clean adhesive residue immediately with a damp cloth. Cured product can be removed with a combination of soaking in methylene chloride and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush.

For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482F (250C). Disassemble while hot.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By P90rippin

ubergewehr (06-06-2018)

I have found that apply heat with the tip of an electric soldering gun really helps to localize the heat to get screws out that have thread locker applied to them.

While the gun is still warm a q-tip with solvent often removes the stubborn adhesive residue.

Just a word of caution about methylene chloride:

Methylene chloride is a chlorinated hydrocarbon that has been used as an inhalation anesthetic and acts as a narcotic in high concentrations. Its primary use is as a solvent in manufacturing and food technology.
    Methylene Chloride is a clear, colorless, nonflammable, volatile liquid chlorinated hydrocarbon with a sweet, pleasant smell and emits highly toxic fumes of phosgene when heated to decomposition. Methylene chloride is primarily used as a solvent in paint removers, but is also used in aerosol formulations, as a solvent in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, as a degreasing agent, in electronics manufacturing and as an ethane foam blowing agent. Inhalation exposure to this substance irritates the nose and throat and affects the central nervous system. Methylene chloride is a possible mutagen and is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen. (NCI05)
    Dichloromethane is used as an extraction solvent in the preparation of decaffeinated coffee, hop extracts and spice oleoresins. Diluent for colour additives and inks for marking fruit and vegetables The output of these processes is a mixture of methyl chloride, dichloromethane, chloroform, and carbon tetrachloride. These compounds are separated by distillation

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ne#section=Top

A wire brush for the screw threads, run a tap in the hole.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

50 B.M.G. (06-04-2018), blacksmithden (06-06-2018), firemachine69 (06-04-2018)

Sounds good. I'm not sure where to get the chemical but there's always my go-to, heat.

And there I thought the red stuff was a pain...
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    And there I thought the red stuff was a pain...
    Not as much of a pain as trying to find that tiny, special screw that fell out somewhere on the gravel covered pistol range!

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By stewbud

firemachine69 (06-04-2018), kennymo (06-05-2018), Rory McCanuck (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Just a word of caution about methylene chloride:

Methylene chloride is a chlorinated hydrocarbon that has been used as an inhalation anesthetic and acts as a narcotic in high concentrations. Its primary use is as a solvent in manufacturing and food technology.
    Methylene Chloride is a clear, colorless, nonflammable, volatile liquid chlorinated hydrocarbon with a sweet, pleasant smell and emits highly toxic fumes of phosgene when heated to decomposition. Methylene chloride is primarily used as a solvent in paint removers, but is also used in aerosol formulations, as a solvent in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, as a degreasing agent, in electronics manufacturing and as an ethane foam blowing agent. Inhalation exposure to this substance irritates the nose and throat and affects the central nervous system. Methylene chloride is a possible mutagen and is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen. (NCI05)
    Dichloromethane is used as an extraction solvent in the preparation of decaffeinated coffee, hop extracts and spice oleoresins. Diluent for colour additives and inks for marking fruit and vegetables The output of these processes is a mixture of methyl chloride, dichloromethane, chloroform, and carbon tetrachloride. These compounds are separated by distillation

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ne#section=Top
    Great solvent. Wear gloves though. Disposable nitrile isbest as dichloromethane dissolves latex.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    1) quite a problem with it while I was fast-mounting a scope,
    2 ) could not get all of it out of the threads both the male and female bolt components,
    3) it was there like dried glue or varnish,
    4) which meant I couldn't even, 5) estimate the proper torques.

I'll eventually be wanting to remount the scope with more care, esp because it came out wildly off target, so my problem is:
    solution:
    1)buy new bolts / machine screws
    ( you should be doing this anyways when torquing to spec, never reuse, re -torque with used bolts, machine screws )

2)chase threads of components with exact, proper, threading tap. ( by hand carefully with no oscillation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast