Thread: Router options?

Router options?

Hi All,

Some guys are renting a small house while on a project. Theyíve got everything running through one router, which is their choke point as its cheap. Their internet provider friend uses a $600ish kinda router but itís a big place, etc.

Whatís a good router option for lots of devices?

And can the devices be prioritized?

And not be stupid expensive?

They want the smart TV and the different Apple TV box to not get bogged down by the other stuff. And maybe keep the guy paying the lions share of bills stuff running too. Each guy is running 2-5 devices each, but speed isnít that essential for the non streaming devices.

Depends on the devices you want to connect...

Are they wireless? Which protocol do they support?
    Hardwire is faster. You loose about 50% of the bandwidth on wireless to loss packets and redundancy checks.
    Is moving around a requirement? Do you maybe need multiple jacks for a device?
    Memeber of NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

2 ISP's 1 hardwired for streaming the other for wifi non - essentials. Meaning 2 routers. Then you could use 2 cheap routers.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Well, wired could only be for one, the smart TV. But Iím not even sure itís got a network cable.
    Apple TV definitely doesnít, but it needs a higher end HDMI cable to run.
    The rest are things like phones, tablets, laptops with lost dongles for cables, etc.

Most donít need speed or even a lot of connection time, but theyíre getting lots of text and emails. Already tried splitting the 2/5Hz networks. Router software didnít seem to let me pick channels either. Another sign of how cheap it is, methinks.

The ISP portion looks like a POE switch, tiny brick.

So it bottlenecks the system. And if ranking works, I might try it at my place too. So, figured Iíd ask here.

Which is why I was wondering if the ďpriority rankingĒ thing was a valid idea or not.

I haven't got a new router in over 10 years.

The newer ones might have something to throttle the speed or set the priority.

I think the best bet is to get two routers. A good decent fast one and a slow cheap one.

The good router for everything that just has to work. Plug the cheap one into a port on the good router. Let everything else connect to it.

The cheap router will create a natural bottleneck that would relieve some pressure from the primary router. In the end it all depends on what you paying for with ISP and what you are using.

You can easily use WEP to set the password and only give out the one for cheap router to direct the flow. Primary router password only give to the devices that really needs it.

Just my idea. Also don't use a gigabyte cable to connect the routers. You want to throttle the speed on the cheap router.
    Memeber of NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!