Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Transfer certificate or Registration needed for transport?

Hi Everyone,
    I recently gotten into shooting and got my R/PAL. As a first purchase I went with Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 - Range kit.

I received my order today with it I got a Buyer Transfer certificate. I am wondering if I need to wait to receive the actual registration or can I transport and use my firearm at the range?

Thanks.

Wait.

Canada Post is slow.

The transfer approval only allows you to take it home.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

Thank Linung. How long is the process for registration? Is it mailed same time as the issuing of transfer certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by metalninja View Post
    Thank Linung. How long is the process for registration? Is it mailed same time as the issuing of transfer certificate?
    It depends on backlog. It's sent from a different place. In my case they have my email address so the transfer cert is sent there. I've found it is normally within 2 weeks in my region. It's going to be slower this time of the year due to Christmas mail volume. The CFO likely would tell you 4 to 6 weeks as a canned answer since they don't have tabs on what happens at Miramachi and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    It depends on backlog. It's sent from a different place. In my case they have my email address so the transfer cert is sent there. I've found it is normally within 2 weeks in my region. It's going to be slower this time of the year due to Christmas mail volume. The CFO likely would tell you 4 to 6 weeks as a canned answer since they don't have tabs on what happens at Miramachi and the like.
    Last two for me have both been 1 1/2 weeks.

You can wait, or you can just go shoot.
    A registration certificate is not a transport document, it's a possession document. Your notice of transfer is a de facto registration certificate until your permanent one arrives.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    A registration certificate is not a transport document, it's a possession document. Your notice of transfer is a de facto registration certificate until your permanent one arrives.
    That is 100% not true. Every single time I've called in to the CFC to follow up on a longer than normal transfer for a customer, they remind me that the transfer notice allows me to release the gun to the customer so they can take it home. They then remind me to tell them that they have to wait for the registration certificate before they can take is out to the range (or, leave their home with it for any reason). Now...the odds of getting pulled over or checked at the range by the cops is pretty slim and you MIGHT (likely will) get a pass from the cop if all you have is the transfer notice.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    That is 100% not true. Every single time I've called in to the CFC to follow up on a longer than normal transfer for a customer, they remind me that the transfer notice allows me to release the gun to the customer so they can take it home. They then remind me to tell them that they have to wait for the registration certificate before they can take is out to the range (or, leave their home with it for any reason). Now...the odds of getting pulled over or checked at the range by the cops is pretty slim and you MIGHT (likely will) get a pass from the cop if all you have is the transfer notice.
    Yup, I've heard that responses from the CFO on this issue vary based on province and weather. Still, there is absolutely nothing in the law that allows for a "certificate of bringing a gun home". If the transfer notice is good for bringing the gun home and keeping it until your reg cert arrives, it's good for absolutely every other function of a registration certificate as well.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Yup, I've heard that responses from the CFO on this issue vary based on province and weather. Still, there is absolutely nothing in the law that allows for a "certificate of bringing a gun home". If the transfer notice is good for bringing the gun home and keeping it until your reg cert arrives, it's good for absolutely every other function of a registration certificate as well.
    It's a completely useless additional step on the government's part. To the best of my knowledge, no one has EVER received a transfer notice and then not gotten a registration certificate. It's just another way for useless bureaucrats to make us wait a little longer, and keep themselves employed. I'm sure some liberal somewhere has shares in the company that prints the paperwork and mails it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

firemachine69 (12-29-2019), greywolf67nt (12-30-2019), IJ22 (12-24-2019)

This is exactly what I have been told also by the Canadian Firearms Program when I have called them in the past. I wanted to play it safe, and requested an ATT for my pistol that I could take with me, and they told me I already have one. The registration number is the same on the confirmation as ton the Registration certificate.

All this said, it occurred to me that there are enough questions here at GOC and CGNs, and the unlicensed cops would be even less informed; I have always just waited that couple days to a couple weeks until it arrives; it's not like I have nothing else to shoot.

I just got a new GP100 private sale from AB to Ont. Transfer took 5 weeks; the gun was 6 1/2 days in transit, 9 Business days for the Cert. to arrive. I have not shot it yet as I have not had time to load ammo... I've had brass, powder, dies and primers for some time; bullets for a week and a half, shell plate for my press for a week: Tomorrows job. LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast