Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Y'all Runnin for Cordless Tools?

So as the title states? I gave my Milwaukee 24v Sawzall to one of the kids with a home issue and in vodka moment told him to keep it, my impact & drill is 20v Rigid but I noticed it is not the Rigid I remember when I was on the tools.

The brushless Dewalt stuff decent? I'll give the rest of my kit away to my new homeowner son and buy a new combo kit. I'll probably do it online so any and all input is appreciated.....

I use Riobi and am very happy. I use them as a home owner though and not as a tool of employment.
    They were used to build a 12’ x 14’ deck and did all the drilling and screwing on one battery.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

DeWalt, some brushless some not. My wholesaler offers excellent support which makes it an easy choice. I kept most of my 18 volt stuff and just bought the 20 volt adaptors.

Word of warning on the adaptors....circular saw loses about 1/2'' of depth cut due to the battery and adaptor sticking out and some tools for some reason will drain the 20 volt battery for no reason...suspect it has something to do with the temp sensor maybe.

Plenty of guys at work using newer Dewalt stuff, and I’m much more impressed with it than their old Ni-cad stuff. Milwaukee is still pretty popular too.

I’ve been running Makita for at least a decade. Pretty satisfied and no reason to change, other than I manage to destroy a drill every few years. Mostly by running holesaws that are probably way bigger than I should be running in it. They brought out a high torque model that weighs double the standard drills a few years ago, going to try that out in the New Year. I’m also planning to use it to run an 8” ice auger.... I finally abused one of the sawzalls to death this summer too, let all the smoke out chopping copper scrap in the garage. It did not lead an easy life...the other one had just been kicking around the garage for some years, still running like a champ.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I'm using dewalt 20v now, and I'm happy with it.
    Prior to that I was using Milwaukee 18v, and it was good too, but I did burn through a few drills.
    I was using makita 18v before that, and it was good too, but I burned through a few of those drills, and more batteries than with any other brand I've used. If their factory repair shop wasn't so close to work, it would have been a nightmare.
    On jobsite these days from what I see is things are mostly split between yellow and red.
    The main reason I went with yellow this time is that I can send them away for repair/warranty from my local hardware store. I'm 2 hrs away now from the factory repair centers in Edmonton.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

I only use cordless tools as a last resort. Like when I'm over 33 metres from an electrical outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    I only use cordless tools as a last resort. Like when I'm over 33 metres from an electrical outlet.
    Yep! X2 I'm sick of batteries that won't hold a charge and can't be replaced due to their age. I have two drill kits in excellent condition and can't get replacement batteries. I'll use a generator if I need to work where there isn't access to electricity and use corded tools.
    It's been said that you can't fix stupid. Turns out you can't quarantine it,either.

Quote Originally Posted by spider69 View Post
    Yep! X2 I'm sick of batteries that won't hold a charge and can't be replaced due to their age. I have two drill kits in excellent condition and can't get replacement batteries. I'll use a generator if I need to work where there isn't access to electricity and use corded tools.
    Do you still have the old batteries? There is a place( sure there is more) out here that will replace the dead batteries in the battery case. If your handy see below link.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cor...g-the-battery/

One thing I liked about DeWalt is that they made an adapter allowing you to use the new 20V batteries in the older 18V tools.

I worked with an older journeyman who dislikes cordless tools, two things I noticed is that he things that cordless technology hasn't evolved in 25 years when he first tried them. Also the cordless drill he has only has 2Amp/Hr batteries.

Are cordless then only solution? absolutely not, I have extension cords and a genny but my first go to is cordless,I can't even remember the last time I used my corded circular saw or hammer drill.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By ESnel

lone-wolf (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by spider69 View Post

You should upgrade to tools made in the 2000's.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By coastal

firemachine69 (01-01-2020), lone-wolf (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Do you still have the old batteries? There is a place( sure there is more) out here that will replace the dead batteries in the battery case. If your handy see below link.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cor...g-the-battery/

One thing I liked about DeWalt is that they made an adapter allowing you to use the new 20V batteries in the older 18V tools.

I worked with an older journeyman who dislikes cordless tools, two things I noticed is that he things that cordless technology hasn't evolved in 25 years when he first tried them. Also the cordless drill he has only has 2Amp/Hr batteries.

Are cordless then only solution? absolutely not, I have extension cords and a genny but my first go to is cordless,I can't even remember the last time I used my corded circular saw or hammer drill.
    There's a B&D adapter? I'll check that out. My drill batteries are done.

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    You should upgrade to tools made in the 2000's.
    My B&D drill kit isn't that old,less than 6 years,but,it's had a lot of use and charge/discharge cycles. You guys are a riot,aren't you? LOL
    It's been said that you can't fix stupid. Turns out you can't quarantine it,either.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By spider69

coastal (01-03-2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast