Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buyback Analogies

It's like removing the foundation of a house, and paying 50% of the cost to install a foundation because the foundation is used.
    The house is destroyed. All that the house was protecting is destroyed. Inheritance mementos from lost parents gone. Recordings of children from a generation ago gone. The family suffers emotional distress, and loses years of work from a finite lifetime. These are not replaceable.

Consider tigrr's ".338 Lapua magnum going for distance" (thread). I don't remember off hand the changing of accessories, but he's talking about reloads so that's years worth of gathering reloading equipment, and he's talking about trudging up hills when weather permits and that's time. That thread started Dec 14, so that's a month and change already.

Similarly others discover something that's not quite right, try different ammo, try different parts (some are better, some are worse, sometimes a part that has been replaced by a better one is subsequently replaced by an even better one). There's months of waiting for the part to arrive, after weeks of searching for the part. Over years, the firearm is improved. Even if it's not improved, over years confidence in its reliability is improved through experience with it (e.g. no failure to fed). All this takes time from a finite lifetime.

A WWII firearm, the only thing remaining to remember grandfather by, carefully protected from rust by family for generations, gone.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 01-26-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Extortion is the unethical use of one's official position or powers to obtain property, funds, or patronage.

What do you call it when you send lots of armed men, to 'buy' property at less than it's worth, when the owner doesn't want to sell?
    Last edited by RangeBob; 01-26-2020 at 04:22 AM.

3. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Aniest (01-26-2020), Camo tung (01-26-2020), chuckbuster (01-26-2020), ESnel (01-26-2020), FALover (01-26-2020), lone-wolf (01-26-2020), Rory McCanuck (01-26-2020), Swingerguy (01-27-2020)

use the power of the Law, to punish their opponents
    -- Donald Trump. ocShnof9_3Y?t=68

5. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

FALover (01-26-2020)

A classical example in Bible for extortion is found in the book of 1 Kings.

(1 Kings: 1-16) [Now Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard in Jezreel, beside the palace of Ahab king of Samaria. And after this Ahab said to Naboth, “Give me your vineyard, that I may have it for a vegetable garden, because it is near my house, and I will give you a better vineyard for it; or, if it seems good to you, I will give you its value in money.” But Naboth said to Ahab, “The LORD forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers.” And Ahab went into his house vexed and sullen because of what Naboth the Jezreelite had said to him, for he had said, “I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers.” And he lay down on his bed and turned away his face and would eat no food.

But Jezebel his wife came to him and said to him, “Why is your spirit so vexed that you eat no food?” And he said to her, “Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, ‘Give me your vineyard for money, or else, if it please you, I will give you another vineyard for it.’ And he answered, ‘I will not give you my vineyard.’” And Jezebel his wife said to him, “Do you now govern Israel? Arise and eat bread and let your heart be cheerful; I will give you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite.”

So she wrote letters in Ahab’s name and sealed them with his seal, and she sent the letters to the elders and the leaders who lived with Naboth in his city. And she wrote in the letters, “Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth at the head of the people. And set two worthless men opposite him, and let them bring a charge against him, saying, ‘You have cursed God and the king.’ Then take him out and stone him to death.” And the men of his city, the elders and the leaders who lived in his city, did as Jezebel had sent word to them. As it was written in the letters that she had sent to them, they proclaimed a fast and set Naboth at the head of the people. And the two worthless men came in and sat opposite him. And the worthless men brought a charge against Naboth in the presence of the people, saying, “Naboth cursed God and the king.” So they took him outside the city and stoned him to death with stones. Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, “Naboth has been stoned; he is dead.”

As soon as Jezebel heard that Naboth had been stoned and was dead, Jezebel said to Ahab, “Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give you for money, for Naboth is not alive, but dead.” And as soon as Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, Ahab arose to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it.]

In New Zealand, they are using tax dollars to buy guns you paid for using after tax income, which you paid sales tax on, then the money you recieved for your gun is considered income, which they will deduct taxes/benefits from.

What does that leave you with exactly? I'm confused.

bohica

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Waterloomike

Rory McCanuck (01-26-2020)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    use the power of the Law, to punish their opponents
    -- Donald Trump. ocShnof9_3Y?t=68
    In our case its using the power of an unjust law to punish the innocent.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

It is a violation of your ancient right to arms.

Yes, it is a right, it is not a pissant privilege to be handed out by your betters as they see fit.

And the money they propose to pay was stolen.

Stolen from your neighbours, perhaps even from you!
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isnít hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By CLW .45

Billythreefeathers (01-27-2020), Scoutertracker (01-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    ancient right to arms.
    the common law right, the ancient right, the natural right, the auxiliary right, and their constitutional right, to bear arms.

I know CLW.45 might say that a gun buyback is akin to forcing the shepherd to sell his guard dog because the sheep are afraid of wolves.

I say a gun buyback is akin to forcing your wife to sell her Corgi because you are afraid your neighbor's children on the other side of the country will get eaten by wolves.

First, the guns they are looking to make illegal are not currently being used as self defense, akin to a sheep dog might be seen as, but as toys and cherished possessions. Regardless of what the law and/or natural rights say, considering the actually low crime rates of Canada and the current political climate, not even a slim minority or Canadians are using firearms in self defense.

Second, the guns they are looking to make illegal are being owned by people not using them in crimes, akin to an illegal pit fighting dog might be seen as, but as devices of hobbies and recreation.

Third, the owners of the guns they are looking to make illegal are not the problem, akin to not dealing with the wolves is, and is not providing any solution to the crime.

and last, but not least, making those guns illegal is only a way to buy votes, akin to having to lie to and manipulate your wife into believing that she owns a wolf and not a Corgi to get your dog hating neighbor's favor, and is shameful to this country.

... but that's just my opinion.

*** No disrespect or discrimination against any canine / canus species intended. ***
    Last edited by Aniest; 01-26-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Lessons from history and events of today: "resist with all your might, because if you lose once, there will be a catastrophe for your people, and the world will ignore it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast