Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Safe storage at home?

Hi,

Seeking clarity regarding safe storage at home. Can you put your restricted with a trigger lock in a solid transport case with a lock when at home or do you have to have them locked in a safe?

For example: a restricted rifle with trigger lock in a case with lock and a restricted handgun separately in an another locked case with trigger lock is allowed?

Do they have to be stored in a safe?

Storage of Restricted Firearms

6 An individual may store a restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in

(i) a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.

no safe required

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...html#h-1019954

Thanks for the clarity.

Banned
    In the near future gun storage law could change if the city council passes a NO GUN ZONE bylaw that purportedly will be backed by the feds so that it can’t be overruled by the Province.
    I can see a constitutional court battle over this but I’m guessing the fix is already in between SCOC and the Liberals.
    SCOC will probably refuse to hear the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
    In the near future gun storage law could change if the city council passes a NO GUN ZONE bylaw
    That's one way.
    But Bill Blair is also talking about changing the Firearms Act Regulations -- i.e. the contents of Post #2 in this thread.
    No specifics, although he mumbled something about keeping restricted in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    That's one way.
    But Bill Blair is also talking about changing the Firearms Act Regulations -- i.e. the contents of Post #2 in this thread.
    No specifics, although he mumbled something about keeping restricted in a safe.
    Correct ; Billy Blair did float that trial balloon....restricted to be kept in a safe when at your residence . Hard to know what other half baked ideas that Billy will come up with when he gives cities the power to ban handguns ; maybe some kind of central storage , or an outright ban on handgun ownership in some cities .
    " Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm. " .... " And I looked , and behold a pale horse ; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."...." I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon them.” ; Ezekiel 25:17

Storage laws are not, never were about preventing theft, so a container/receptacle is allowed.

I would think it best to wait for any actual law change if someone was considering buying a safe or cabinet now. The future legal requirements could render any purchase made today inadequate, depending on what they expect.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By labradort

3MTA3 (01-11-2020), spider69 (01-11-2020)

The storage laws not covered on your PAL/RPAL course? There are different rules for restricted and non. There is no requirement or definition of what constitutes a 'safe'. Nor is there a definition of what is considered "Hard to break into".
    Storing firearms in a case isn't a good idea. Cases tend to attract moisture.
    Go here. Note the operative word 'OR'.
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearm...aying-firearms
    "...if the city council passes a NO GUN ZONE bylaw..." Currently, no city council has the jurisdiction to do that. Neither does a Province.

I see the RCMP page above shows a picture of what kind of looks like a metal Stack-on "safe", in a way suggesting it is a container- the RCMP seems to be an all- knowing authoritarian body ( they should be abolished like the UN)

Here are the actual regs-
    https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-98-209.pdf

See Barnes case regarding "Safe"

http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...-Judgement.pdf

16] Within the context of section 7 itself, it is apparent that Parliament considered a "safe ... that is securely locked" to be a more secure method of storage than a "container or receptacle ... that is kept securely locked and is constructed so that it cannot be readily broken into or open". This is evident from the fact that the guns stored pursuant to section 7(b)(i) must be rendered inoperable by a.-secure locking device whereas the firearms stored in accordance with section 7(b)(ii) have no such requirement. Moreover, containers and receptacles may be constructed of wood or plastic, as opposed to the more durable metal from which a safe is traditionally made.

Even where a gun storage unit is described as a "safe", there may be considerable variations in its characteristics, including size, weight, wall thickness, the location of the hinges, the nature of the locking mechanism and resistance to water or fire: see, for example, exhibits 3A, 3B, 7 A, 7B, 10, 11, 13. Unlike jurisdictions such as California, 5 Parliament has not chosen to designate minimum standards for gun safes or certify certain types of safes as meeting the regulatory requirements."

20] The concerns expressed by Mr. Press about the vulnerability of gun storage units, such as those belonging to Mr. Barnes, to bolts cutters, sledge hammers and other methods of forced entry are understandable. Yet, Mr. Cornblum's observation, that given time and the right degree of skill, all safes are vulnerable to being broken into, is a valid one.

[21] Since a breach ofthe regulation leads to a criminal charge, there must be a discernable standard for licensed individuals to meet in storing automatic firearms: seeR. v. Smillie, supra at ~35. In my view, an interpretation of the word "safe" in its ordinary, dictionary meaning of a metal container with a secure lock is consistent with the objectives of the legislation and the intent of Parliament.
    [22] I find that the cabinets in which the defendant's prohibited firearms were stored fall within the definition of a· safe. Both ofthe lockers in which the prohibited firearms were stored were made of steel. Each cabinet was securely locked: one by a key and a padlock; the other by a locking system that uses a key to unbolt rods in the door from the frame of the unit. Indeed, despite their disagreement on other issues, the Crown and the defence expert both accepted.that the units were securely locked. The Crown has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there was non-compliance with the regulation. The charges are dismissed
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast