Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stew answered the question for the status quo of the law.

Some of the people posting to the question seem to be unaware the laws on storage are supposed to change sometime in the current Trudeau mandate, assuming they stay in power long enough. It was mentioned in the mandate letter to the minister (Blair I think) and discussed elsewhere on these forums. I just think it could be a waste of money to put out hundreds of dollars on the hardware and installation and then to redo it. The details matter and they have not been seen for any future storage laws.

You probably won't have anything left to store when libtards are done.
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    You probably won't have anything left to store when libtards are done.
    They will never get my slingshot!!!

When I'm at home at least one of my guns is in use. When I'm not at home they are all stored according to the legal requirements.

Hey Guys, I have a question about storage. This is kind of a newbie question, but just want to make sure that what I want to do is legal. Better safe than sorry.
    I have 2 safes.
    In safe #1, are stored my restricted handguns and the now prohibited AR. No ammo or mags are stored in safe #1.
    In safe # 2, are stored: ammo, mags, etc. No firearms are presently stored in safe #2
    For storage room purpose, it would be very convenient to move the now prohibited AR from safe #1 to safe #2, where ammo is stored. Of course there is a trigger lock at all time on the AR when in storage, also the AR bolt carrier would be removed from it, rendering the AR unoperable. The AR bolt carrier would be stored in safe #1 where I keep my handguns.
    I think this would be legal, but want to make sure about it.
    This would keep me from buying a third safe.

Megglodon :

The firearms will have to be kept securely stored in accordance with the legal storage requirements for the classification of the specified firearms prior to their prohibition.
    -- Gazette OIC, May 1 2020, http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/...ors96-eng.html

Thank you.
    But basically my question wasn't specifically about a now prohibited firearm storage.
    My question is: Can I store an AR that is rendered unoperable (with trigger lock and without bolt carrier) in the same safe as ammo is stored in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Megglodon View Post
    Can I store an AR that is rendered unoperable (with trigger lock and without bolt carrier) in the same safe as ammo is stored in ?
    Yes.
    If it's a safe it doesn't need a trigger lock (although it's a time saver when going to the range to have one already attached since it's needed for transport), and it doesn't need the bolt removed. Of course you may trigger lock it and you may remove the bolt.

Storage of Restricted Firearms

6 An individual may store a restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in

(i) a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.

-- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

Interesting that section 12 makes no mention of an ATT

So...
    6b(I) and c(I)

I could store a restricted in a locking toolbox, with ammo in the toolbox, provided the restricted has a trigger lock on it?

And a non-res with a trigger lock can be kept anywhere? It doesn’t need to be inside a locked room/closet?

Got asked about bare minimum legal requirements and was wondering how close to the line one can wander...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast