Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Most people who learned how to shoot with a bolt gun, especially a single shot are better shots overall.

A semi is fun however having knowledge you can keep pulling the trigger as you have another round available does not make for accurate shooting.

Soldiers may use semi auto's as their enemy is shooting back so rapid fire to keep the bad guys at bay/heads down may work however i don't recall a gopher shooting back at me. Spray and pray is generally not needed when facing a family of Geomyidae.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Lee Enfield

Stew (01-09-2020), Suputin (01-10-2020)

If you're going to be shooting beyond 50 yards often with a rimfire, you will want to invest in better ammo or at least start weight sorting your bulk ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Sup,

I get what you're saying about being forced to carefully aim the shots, but more hares still beat more tortoises in races.

There's a reason soldiers use semi-auto rifles when bolt action rifles are available.

A lot of pretty accurate rounds are still more lethal than some super accurate rounds.
    Snipers fairly universally use bolt action rifles. Yes I am aware of the designated marksman type using semis but no serious sniper force is routinely issued with semi auto rifles. There is a reason for that.

My comments come from more than a decade of shooting gophers with rimfire rifles. One summer I spent months competing with a guy who had a pimped up 10-22 and was pretty good with it. He could walk rounds on to running gophers and just at the point where I was getting frustrated enough to consider a semi-auto, he broke first and showed up with an expensive bolt action target rifle. Turns out he was equally frustrated watching me snipe gopher after gopher at ranges he couldn't match. He also expressed awe at my hit rate, which was about twice to three times his.

Even with years of experience, as soon as I got down behind a 10-22 I could feel my will to make each shot count just evaporate and I resorted to pumping rounds downrange and my hit percentage cratered.

Anyone interested in serious accuracy should not even consider a semi-auto. It is all down to the physcology of having to make each shot absolutely count.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    If you're going to be shooting beyond 50 yards often with a rimfire, you will want to invest in better ammo or at least start weight sorting your bulk ammo.
    I spent an entire winter sorting a case of ammo by weight and rim thickness and probably one or two other factors. It took forever and was a GIANT PIA.

And it turned out that the gophers didn't even notice nor did they care. It seems a hit in the guts is as good as a hit in the chest and a hit on the left side of the chest is as good as a hit on the right side of the chest.

Thus, I never sorted rimfire ammo ever again. For serious target shooting, it probably makes a difference though. Just depends on how much effort one wants to put into it to gain better terminal results.

I did buy numerous types of ammo and even lot numbers of specific ammo and then bought a bunch of whatever worked best, within the parameters of terminal performance I was looking for. In my case, absolute accuracy was not put ahead of velocity and terminal performance. That is I needed something fast enough to allow longer shots and with a big enough hollow point to kill cleanly. For our rifles that ended up being Winchester Power Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    it will mostly depend on the distances you'll be shooting, a 200 yard shot will be 35 - 50 inches of drop depending on ammo, this is when money comes into play, out to 50 meters pretty much anything will be workable, past 100 meters, wallet time
    The vast majority of people seem to think the 22 rimfire is not very accurate and not capable much past 50 yds ..... I think this is because they are too cheap to spend any money on a decent rifle and do the work to find the best ammunition for it.

With a high end rifle and matched ammo, the 22 rimfire is well capable of 200 yds and I hear people running it out to 300 and 400 yds.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

stewbud (01-10-2020)

Audie Murphy learned to shoot with a Winchester single shot .22 caliber rifle to put food on the family table. (“If I missed,” he later said, “we didn’t eat.”)
    If I remember correctly, in the movie "To Hell and Back (1955)" he said something about how he couldn't afford ammunition. Which also increased his incentive to make every shot count.
    (As a teenager he upgraded to a lever action. In the army they gave him a BAR.)

https://www.gunpowdermagazine.com/th...to-shoot-with/
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w.../a-tragic-hero
    http://patriotgunnews.com/2018/02/27...-audie-murphy/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

What is a good group at 100m for a rifle mortals can afford?
    The wind affects 22LR tremendously, BTW.
    Last edited by 3MTA3; 01-10-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Snipers fairly universally use bolt action rifles. Yes I am aware of the designated marksman type using semis but no serious sniper force is routinely issued with semi auto rifles. There is a reason for that.

My comments come from more than a decade of shooting gophers with rimfire rifles. One summer I spent months competing with a guy who had a pimped up 10-22 and was pretty good with it. He could walk rounds on to running gophers and just at the point where I was getting frustrated enough to consider a semi-auto, he broke first and showed up with an expensive bolt action target rifle. Turns out he was equally frustrated watching me snipe gopher after gopher at ranges he couldn't match. He also expressed awe at my hit rate, which was about twice to three times his.

Even with years of experience, as soon as I got down behind a 10-22 I could feel my will to make each shot count just evaporate and I resorted to pumping rounds downrange and my hit percentage cratered.

Anyone interested in serious accuracy should not even consider a semi-auto. It is all down to the physcology of having to make each shot absolutely count.
    Perhaps you are not familliar with the M110?

I have shot some 10/22's that were as good as my mk II's- They are some excellent rifles available-

Imgp5225.jpg
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

This is a target that I shot at 100 yards with my 10-22 using Federal Auto Match ammo.
    If it were not for the two fliers it would have been a 1/2" group.
    10-22s are accurate if you fix their defects.

Terry

26732794083_67e37510ab_b.jpg
    Last edited by t_glover; 01-10-2020 at 08:23 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By t_glover

3MTA3 (01-10-2020), GTW (01-10-2020), JustBen (01-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Snipers fairly universally use bolt action rifles...no serious sniper force is routinely issued with semi auto rifles. There is a reason for that.
    No, they don't all use bolt actions, actually. The US Army uses a semi-auto 50 cal, and the new light Canadian sniper rifle is semi-auto as well.

Don't get me wrong, I know that bolt action still has its advantages, but I cringe every time I hear the "if you want accuracy, you have to use a bolt action" argument.

It's as outdated as the concept that if you want reliability, you have to use a revolver because you can't trust a semi-auto.

I still agree with your concept that as a result of having a bolt action, the shooter will naturally focus more on the fundamentals, which will likely lead to a better shooter. You're right about that.
    I have no signature block.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast