Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    A houseboat is not a legal dwelling. It's a vessel. International waters or not, you'd be contravening the law. Good luck.
    A vessel can be a legal dwelling, just like a motorhome. And in international waters you could still be subject to boarding by the authorities of your country of registry, but outside of territorial waters, firearms laws etc wouldn't apply. There isn't a lot of case law, but if you refer to the Sealand case (although not a vessel) there is commonwealth precedent.

  2. #22
    Member awndray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    National Capital Region
    Posts
    10,740
    While a vessel may be considered a legal dwelling, you still need a physical address in most jurisdictions. In unorganized townships, you may get away with following the national Building Code, but in most municipalities, there are bylaws to follow.

    You will be hard-pressed to get a physical address on any waterbody where your firearms license will be registered. Even a drives license, for that matter. While one can reside in a motorhome, an address is still required for your drivers license.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SWOntario
    Posts
    2,546
    "...when sanity returns?..." HAHAHAHA. That's a good one. Except for Harper(who really was not our friend.) closing the long gun registry, no government has ever repealed any firearms legislation enacted by a previous government.
    Anyway, there is Federal paperwork required to export a firearm to anywhere. Plus there are U.S. laws that apply to any Lend/Lease firearm and stuff made in Warsaw Pact countries. Plus U.S. States have their own laws.
    Then, if we ever get sane, there will be U.S. export laws to contend with too.
    "...international waters..." You'd need more than a house boat. International waters start 200 nautical miles off the coast.

  4. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

    awndray (01-09-2020)

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    A houseboat is not a legal dwelling. It's a vessel. International waters or not, you'd be contravening the law. Good luck.
    You wanna tell that to all the people who live on houseboats in Vancouver? I lived on a boat for a year when I was young .... are you saying that was not my dwelling and that I was "travelling" even when the boat didn't move for 6 months?

    PLEASE tell us how being in INTERNATIONAL WATERS violates the law of any country? The entire point of INTERNATIONAL water is that it does not belong to any country.

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Just to avoid giving the government the satisfaction of destroying them would work for me.
    Except that it buys into the govt plan of eliminating firearms from Canada.

    A better course of action would be to strip down the gun and hand in only the receiver. Then take the parts and rebuild them into a gun that does not fall under the confiscation. As an example there are receiver sets that use all AR15 parts but produce a straight pull manual action rifle. Yea, thats a bit sad but it is a fairly fast firing rifle that looks like an AR and it is a non-restricted rifle you can actually use in this country.

  7. #26
    Member awndray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    National Capital Region
    Posts
    10,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    You wanna tell that to all the people who live on houseboats in Vancouver? I lived on a boat for a year when I was young .... are you saying that was not my dwelling and that I was "travelling" even when the boat didn't move for 6 months?
    Check your local bylaws and provincial legislation. I don't make the rules.

    PLEASE tell us how being in INTERNATIONAL WATERS violates the law of any country? The entire point of INTERNATIONAL water is that it does not belong to any country.
    Exporting firearms from Canada. Just a thought.

  8. #27
    Senior Member Gunrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    Ahhh and you wonder why so many have put you into the IGNORE file
    They don't like the TRUTH that's for sure.
    Too bad you can't put Trudeau, Blair and reality on ignore.
    Life unfortunately doesn't work that way.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

  9. #28
    Senior Member Gunrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...when sanity returns?..." HAHAHAHA. That's a good one. Except for Harper(who really was not our friend.) closing the long gun registry, no government has ever repealed any firearms legislation enacted by a previous government.
    Anyway, there is Federal paperwork required to export a firearm to anywhere. Plus there are U.S. laws that apply to any Lend/Lease firearm and stuff made in Warsaw Pact countries. Plus U.S. States have their own laws.
    Then, if we ever get sane, there will be U.S. export laws to contend with too.
    "...international waters..." You'd need more than a house boat. International waters start 200 nautical miles off the coast.


    A nation wide mass across the board gun ban weeks away and they're wasting time posting nonsense and BS on the internet.
    The online BSers will be the first ones standing in line at the popo stations with their guns when the ban comes.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    While a vessel may be considered a legal dwelling, you still need a physical address in most jurisdictions. In unorganized townships, you may get away with following the national Building Code, but in most municipalities, there are bylaws to follow.

    You will be hard-pressed to get a physical address on any waterbody where your firearms license will be registered. Even a drives license, for that matter. While one can reside in a motorhome, an address is still required for your drivers license.
    If you are living in international waters with your firearms, you are not subject to licensing or registration or bylaws or anything. You've left. Your firearms have been exported and if you like, deregistered (US citizens who visit regularly with their guns have a US address, a PAL, and a few of their guns registered). You can have a PO box for your mail, but no one is coming for your guns. Of course there are issues with distance, etc but from a purely theoretical point of view, it is possible.

  11. #30
    Senior Member wolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    North of North Bay area, ON
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
    Ignoring the 2 burly cops that will eventually show up will be another matter.
    The internet attitude will be gone probably replaced by underwear and boots full of stinky brown stuff.
    "The gun safe is right over here"
    "Can I help you carry my guns to your cruiser officers?"
    You know us too well. The ones in denial, may think differently.

  12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By wolver

    awndray (01-09-2020), Billythreefeathers (01-09-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •