Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa shooting

Ottawa shooting

“A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.”
    -Jordan Peterson

I was just there, at a gas station three blocks down. I didn't even know about it until my wife called me in a panic and my boss was calling asking where I was. I was late for work because of an accident 20 kms prior to my arrival.

I didn't see or hear a thing. It must have been over by the time I got to the pump. Everything was quiet/normal. No lights, sirens or anything. Nothing like the 2014 shooting.

Ottawa Police is continuing its investigation of a multiple shooting that occurred on the 400 block of Gilmour Street this morning at about 7:30 a.m.

Police were called to the scene after reports of multiple gun shots. Once on scene officers found several people injured. At this time, three people have been transported to hospital with serious injuries and one person has been confirmed deceased.

Police continue to seek a suspect in this shooting. The scene at Gilmour Street has been secured by police. This is not considered an active shooter situation, but the suspect remains at large and is not in custody.

Gilmour Street remains closed between Kent and Lyon while the investigation is ongoing.

Major Crime has taken carriage of this investigation.
    https://www.ottawapolice.ca/Modules/...4-fb98caf36a0f

One dead, three injured in shooting in central Ottawa

Ottawa police say one person was killed and three seriously injured in a shooting in downtown Ottawa this morning.

Acting Insp. Francois D’Aoust says police believe the attack was targeted and there is no "active shooter" in the city.

Police are still searching for the suspect.

Officers were called to a building on Gilmour Street at about 7:30 Wednesday morning amid reports of multiple gunshots.

The Ottawa Paramedic Service reported that one person was pronounced dead at the scene, and three others were taken to hospital in serious condition with gunshot wounds.

Mark Ignatiev lives nearby and says the home where the shooting took place is an Airbnb with three units across two floors. Ignatiev said the shooting took place in the first-floor unit.

He saw two people being taken out of the home on stretchers. One appeared to have a leg wound and the other a wound on his arm, he said. One of the men told police he was 20 years old, Ignatiev said.

He also said he watched police retrieve what looked like a gun from a neighbouring yard.

Ignatiev said the neighbourhood is colourful, and ambulances are common. The area is a mix of downtown single-family homes, duplexes and rowhouses and is sprinkled with taller apartments.

“This is a neighbourhood that has a lot of things happening," he said.

The scene is about 12 blocks south of Parliament Hill, where security appeared to have been tightened this morning.
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ottawa-sho...130046226.html

CBC indicates that a suspect has been arrested, no name or photo of the suspect, no mention of the firearm type.

This could be a big media event if the name, photo and firearm match the requirements for enduring publication.

It sounds like a hit, and I'm sure that it was a situation where the person would have had the gun even if all guns were banned and out of everyone's hands.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Lordburu

Aniest (01-08-2020)

A targeted shooting in a "colourful" neighbourhood with "lots of stuff happening". Gee. Colour me surprised. Probably another legal gun owner on his way to the range with the handgun and assault style rifles he is allowed to keep in his car and drive anywhere with thanks to Harper. Because, you know...law abiding gun owners...law abiding till they're not...
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

8. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By chuckbuster

3MTA3 (01-08-2020), Aniest (01-08-2020), Billythreefeathers (01-09-2020), coastal (01-09-2020), Waterloomike (01-08-2020)

Double post

If this is what it takes to make national news then we clearly don't have gun problem in Canada.

That's a slow Sunday afternoon in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by sbe View Post
    If this is what it takes to make national news then we clearly don't have gun problem in Canada.

That's a slow Sunday afternoon in Chicago.
    Actually, it made international news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/w...-shooting.html

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    A targeted shooting in a "colourful" neighbourhood with "lots of stuff happening". Gee. Colour me surprised. Probably another legal gun owner on his way to the range with the handgun and assault style rifles he is allowed to keep in his car and drive anywhere with thanks to Harper. Because, you know...law abiding gun owners...law abiding till they're not...
    I think you're misinterpreting "colourful" in this instance.

According to the Canada 2011 Census; 2013 representation

Ethnic groups: 78.4% White, 4.2% Chinese, 4.0% Black, 2.8% South Asian, 2.3% Aboriginal, 2.1% Arab, 1.8% Southeast Asian, 1.2% Latin American
    Languages: 71.2% English, 11.2% French, 3.3% Chinese, 1.8% Arabic, 1.5% Italian, 1.3% Spanish
    Religions: 54.6% Christian (29.4% Catholic, 6.5% Anglican, 5.8% United Church, 1.9% Christian Orthodox, 1.4% Presbyterian, 1.0% Lutheran, 8.5% Other), 4.1% Muslim, 2.3% Jewish, 1.7% Buddhist, 35.2% No religion
    Median income (2010): $39,769
    Average income (2010): $53,940

The Ottawa Centre riding has the highest percentage of master's degree holders in all of Canada (12.7%)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centretown

https://www.neighbourhoodstudy.ca/24centretown/

13. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Stew (01-08-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast