Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Best firearms moment for me was at a CHAS 3 gun match. At the very end of a stage I noticed I had missed a popper tucked away behind a barrel. From across the bay I hammered it, the crowd of other shooters cheered, it was amazing.

Tyson S.
    Would-Be Adventurer and Writer
    www.TysonGoesOutside.com

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Tyson Sommerville

MarkR (01-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    I've narrowed it down to three
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    There have been so many...... ROFL !!!
    That's why I haven't posted in this thread yet: every moment with a firearm has been amazing, so the 'favorites' start to pile up quick.

But, my "Favorite firearms Moment" is tied between two I suppose, and firearms wasn't the main part of them as they both about veterans, but their thoughts on guns and sharing it with me... (Note: I was a 'last chance' kid, my parents were well into their forties when I was born, and in my family there are lots of these 'late age' births.)

My dad's oldest sister was born in 1923 and was a nurse in the last half of WWII, serving after D-day on ships taking wounded back to England on the channel. I am one of the very few she has ever spoken about her experiences to, and according to her, the only one she talked about it at length and in detail. She had told me things that would give a lot of modern Millennials severe PTSD. I was proud when we discussed firearms: how she always liked to shoot the German rifles and SMLEs, she never blamed the inanimate objects (guns) or the soldiers following orders... just the politicians and the people at the top. R.I.P. auntie, and thanks for helping me become a gun rights supporter.

My mom's uncle (another 'last chance kid') was in Vietnam as a Navy mechanic, but he did see action over there and eventually got sent home due to combat injuries. I sat with him on his farm one fall when I was 15 years old just before hunting season, somewhat surprised to hear that he enjoyed deer and rabbit hunting very much (my mom always said being in Vietnam changed him, he was always quiet and not one to joke much). We got gabbing and joking about shooting rabbits and other hunting things, which again was very unusual for him. When I had ribbed him enough to get him a bit flustered about being a poor shot he suddenly got up and went into the house. I figured I had angered him and was sitting for a bit when he came out of his house with an Anschutz rifle with a mannlicher stock, a .22 with very nice peep sights. I don't remember if the rifle was a single shot or magazine fed, but he couldn't miss any shot that was remotely possible. Eventually we got around to gun ownership, Vietnam, being a soldier and so forth. Even with the experiences of multiple tours he was (and still is) a huge supporter of gun rights and property rights: he refuses to let being injured by bullets in a conflict jade him against gun owners. Thanks uncle, for also helping me become a gun rights supporter.

Thanks for listening (reading)...
    Last edited by Aniest; 01-11-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spell'n
    Anything and everything I post that is not a quote, link and/or attributable to another source is my personal opinion only and no entity(s) and/or person(s) can be held liable for it for any reason unless they are the author of said opinion, link, quote and/or attributable comment; and nothing I post may be shared, spread and/or quoted outside of this website without my legal authorization unless covered by the end user agreement, terms of use, policy and/or rules of this website.

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Aniest

LB303 (02-08-2020), Magmalis (01-11-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

Favourite firearms moment; Mentoring a new hunter (adult) on looking for sign, figuring out the lay of the land, calling, concealment and shot placement. Took him hunting and everything unfolded like it was straight out of a textbook! Usually with some luck and experience you can combine a few of those and at least see some deer. I've never had it go that easy for myself, and I may have created some unrealistic future expectations for him lol.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” ― George Orwell

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

MarkR (01-15-2020)

My favorite moment was reenacting with my family as a 17th fur trapper. Along with living in a tent and showing off old school skills we also displayed and fired old time firearms such as cannons, hand gonnes, matchlocks and flintlocks.

Hundreds of people have shot these under our instruction and many have gotten into the shooting sports because of it.

Coming from an anti-firearm family; it has been a blast to use these old time guns to introduce family into shooting. Now many of them have their PALs and go to the range as well, bringing others with them.

A tie would also be when I taught my wife and kids to shoot (I learned in Air Cadets with a Lee Enfield). My Wife and older daughters can now outshoot me. Awesomeness!

NO GUN BAN - Sign Petition e-2341: Demand Democratic Process on Liberals' Firearms Agenda
    https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-2341

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By maple leaf

Aniest (01-12-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

My favourite moment was just this past summer!

Took my little fella to a maple seed event.

It was a great day, the instructors were awesome.

Cheers

10. The Following User Liked This Post By M14Medic.ca

MarkR (01-15-2020)

My favorite firearms moment is when i took my 6 year old son and his buddy to the gun club and there they got to fire a .22, .38. 357 .44mag & a 12 guage...they still talk about that day 40 years later...

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By bramptonmike

MarkR (01-15-2020), Waterloomike (01-12-2020)

I NEVER win these things, but here goes anyway. I grew up in a home where we didn't have firearms. I was introduced to them at 21 years of age by my wife's uncle. I went on a hunt with him and my brother in law in the States and we had a great time. I was the only one there that had never really shot a gun, I had shot a .22 once, but never anything higher powered. Because of that I was getting picked on a bit by my wife's uncle and my brother in law, both of them are American and had a lot of time handling firearms. I remember holding up the 30/06 for the first time, they made a comment about getting to see some scope eye. To make a long story short we went out, and we were out in a hunting blind, and there happened to be a bunch of does galloping through the field we were overlooking. My wife's uncle handed me the rife and told me to shoot one, so I brought the scope to my eye and boom...... I shot a doe and dropped her instantly. I bet you thought I was going to say I smoked myself in the eye... Well I didn't, but on my first hunt and my first time shooting a centre fire rifle I was successful in harvesting a deer. To make the story even better, I hit the one I was aiming at!

14. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Shaner

Aniest (01-19-2020), FALover (01-13-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020), Waterloomike (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
    I NEVER win these things, but here goes anyway. I grew up in a home where we didn't have firearms. I was introduced to them at 21 years of age by my wife's uncle. I went on a hunt with him and my brother in law in the States and we had a great time. I was the only one there that had never really shot a gun, I had shot a .22 once, but never anything higher powered. Because of that I was getting picked on a bit by my wife's uncle and my brother in law, both of them are American and had a lot of time handling firearms. I remember holding up the 30/06 for the first time, they made a comment about getting to see some scope eye. To make a long story short we went out, and we were out in a hunting blind, and there happened to be a bunch of does galloping through the field we were overlooking. My wife's uncle handed me the rife and told me to shoot one, so I brought the scope to my eye and boom...... I shot a doe and dropped her instantly. I bet you thought I was going to say I smoked myself in the eye... Well I didn't, but on my first hunt and my first time shooting a centre fire rifle I was successful in harvesting a deer. To make the story even better, I hit the one I was aiming at!
    Also that day we saved a baby kitten whose leg was stuck under a log and donated $500 to a charity of your choice if that makes it sound any better HAHA!

Bladesmith
    When I was 10 I convinced my father to let me shoot his shotgun. I can't remember the make but it was an old single shot goose gun. We walked back into the woods on the appointed day. Dad didn't realize how fast I could load at the time. He handed me the gun and I dropped in a shell closed cocked and raised the gun in one motion. Dad's said "make sure you..." bang. I touched off the gun about 2" from my shoulder. The old girl rang my bell but I stayed on my feet. With tears in my eyes I asked for another round. Dad held out a round but this time he didn't let go until he finished saying "hold that thing tight against your shoulder this time" I was hooked after that

my favourite is when both my Wife and teenage Daughter shot handguns for the first time - Wife shooting a tt33, putting the whole mag in the center, than repeating that with a CZ Shadow and Daughter after shooting a slew of different pistol chose the beretta m9 as her favourite.

18. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By srdiver

Magmalis (01-15-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast