Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhBoredShooter View Post
    My Favorite moment was taking my 12 year old cousin shooting for the first time and seeing him light up like a Christmas tree after ringing steel at 100 yards on his first try.
    Did this with my non shooting 60 year old cousin a few months ago with my AR. Folding sights, 100 yards, and he put them all on paper and was amazed, and very happy!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

Magmalis (01-20-2020)

My favourite firearm moment would have to be teaching my 12 yo grandson to shoot with my sks. Watching him go from barely hitting paper at 25 yards to a 5 inch group at 100 yards was a great day.

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By stubert

Aniest (01-21-2020), Magmalis (01-20-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020)

My favorite firearm was buying my first handgun. Going into a gun store for the first time in my life and choosing the handgun that I wanted to start my new hobby with was such a pleasant experience.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By effy55

MarkR (02-22-2020)

Love sharing the joy of responsible firearms ownership.
    My daughter sitting on my lap and taking her first shot down range was something special. But I have to say my favorite moment is when I took the family camping. Once camp was set up, I safely handed my daughter over her air rifle. She looked at me and called out attention to her perfect trigger finger control. I am so proud that she has absorbed everything she has been taught. Her hitting all the fun zombie targets was a bonus! Could not be more proud.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Bizzle

Aniest (01-21-2020), Magmalis (01-20-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020)

Last hunting season I shot a three point mule deer while my dad watched from his van. I was using his rem 700 he bought when he was younger than I am. I didn't know at the time but thay was the last deer we would shoot together before he passed away.

It's not the best biggest buck I've shot but it's the most sentimental now.

10. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Stephen

2012Cvoguy (03-08-2020), Aniest (01-23-2020), lone-wolf (02-03-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020), Rory McCanuck (01-23-2020), Waterloomike (01-23-2020)

Thanks for sharing that story.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

Quote Originally Posted by jwirecom109 View Post

Mods must tell us their most embarrassing firearms moment (nothing illegal) to enter.
    Not all of it is firearms related, but there certainly enough egg on my face I might as well include it all.

I don't have a single most embarrassing moment, but a series of mishaps that constitute my worst hunting season ever.

Last spring I bought a Thompson Center Hawken, 50 cal, octagonal barrel, set triggers, quite a nice gun.
    Take it to range, shoot it several times, 90grs seems to be accurate, ready to go hunting.
    Three quarters of an hour after getting out to the stand along comes a nice 3x3 buck, maybe 60 yards.
    "Pop" What the hell?
    Buck runs away, I put on another cap, try again,"Pop."
    Turns out the nipple was fouled up enough it was plugged.

Because the Hawken was out of action, I took out my buddy's Savage he'd bought in the spring.
    Really nice, stainless, laminated thumbhole stock, Accu-Trigger...
    Same blind, but from the other direction, the biggest buck I have ever seen while hunting.
    Forty yards away, strolling along the path, showing off that great big rack.
    Heart's thumping pretty good, get the gun out the window, line up, "CLICK!"
    Oh boy oh boy, he hasn't run away, re-cock it, "CLICK!"
    Watch his ears twitch, my own ears are twitching from the blood pounding in them, but he's giving me another chance!
    Re-cock, re-aim, "CLICK!"
    By now the smell of the smoke coming from my ears has reached him, and he trots off into the hollow.
    I sit fuming, debating whether our friendship would stand me wrapping my buddy's rifle around a tree, when the buck
    comes back up out of the hollow to see what all the muttering is about.
    "CLICK!" Re-cock, "CLICK!" by which time frustration wins out and I scream out "FU**!!!" at the top of my voice.
    That chased him off, I leave the blind at 3:30 and walk back to the truck, muttering and swearing all the way.

Turns out, the Accu-Trigger, if turned down light enough, will fire without the safety lever/tab thingy being depressed all the way.
    If the lever isn't depressed all the way the sear catches on the safety, preventing the firing pin from striking.
    With my small hands and the Savage's big grip, I couldn't pull the trigger back completely straight while sitting
    at the funny angle in the blind.
    The parts for the Accu-Trigger are now in a baggy in a drawer in my bench.

General season opens and my buddy comes out first day.
    Walk him to his blind, tell him there's a lot of deer, he doesn't have to shoot the first thing he sees.
    I make the 5 minute walk to my blind, open the door and don't even get sat down, "Bang!"
    He apologises but says he couldn't pass up the great big doe.
    She's pretty big alright, and at least we didn't get skunked.

The next afternoon we're leaving the truck laughing and giggling like a couple of teenage girls about some story.
    Same thing, walk him to his blind, walk 5 minutes more to mine, get in, sit down, and get set up.
    Same path the the monster buck was on, but walking the other direction is a 4x4.
    I fight with the window a bit because it's sticking, bang my rifle on the frame getting it out the window, and the buck is now just getting into the thick of of the bush.
    Don't care, there's still a clear path, pull the trigger, "Click."
    Me screaming "FU**" at the top of my lungs sets his tail on fire as he runs away.

Turns out I didn't have a round in the chamber as the Remington pump is quite fussy about that first round.
    If the mag isn't in all the way, or isn't quite straight, or if Saturn is in ascension in Capricorn or something,
    it sometimes just won't pick up the first round.
    The second is always fine, and I check every time I chamber the first one, but I guess I didn't in the midst of a good tale when leaving the truck.

Played hide and seek for half an hour with a buck through 50 yards of bush in that hollow that the monster disappeared into, never did get a shot off.

After my buddy went home to Winnipeg I decided to try out his blind.
    I hung my rifle by the sling on the provided hook while I climbed up.
    I get to the top, grab my sling, and the top swivel picks that moment to disconnect.
    Gun swings down, butt at the end of the sling at the end of my arm, now the muzzle is moving in an arc at just about the speed of sound.
    It crashes into the blind's support arm with enough noise to wake the dead.
    Pull everything up into the blind re-attach the sling, check the gun over, not a mark.

Don't get another shot all season, so I go to bring the blinds home.
    Get the first one home no problem.
    Go to get mine, but the snow is that mushy stuff that won't compact and won't give your vehicle much traction, only thing to do is keep the speed up.
    Barreling down the path, all is going well but I forgot about that one poplar that hangs over the path.
    If you stick to the east side of the path, no problem, but squirting around, I ventured over to the west side.
    Bang, crash, roof of the blind hits the tree, blind rips off the wagon and falls onto the trail.
    Disconnect the wagon, go home, have a stiff drink, maybe several.

The next day I go out, take the roof and door off, push the blind back onto the wagon, strap it down and drag it home.
    Take my trailer out to get the roof, door, insulation and all the other crap that spread itself all over God's green acre when the explosion occured.
    Wind is blowing ferociously and I notice it's taking a lot of throttle to counteract it on the trip home.
    The Raider is basically a parachute, so this isn't so out of the ordinary.
    I get to the corner 50 feet from my property and the engine dies.
    Disconnect the trailer and wheel it home by hand, push the truck home and into the garage, and pull the dipstick.
    Oh dear, I don't think the oil is supposed to be white.
    Holding it to the pin dragging wagons and trailers through the mushy snow was just too much for it and cracked the head. Again.

That was the first year I've ever been happy that hunting season was over.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

13. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Hidyn (03-31-2020), LB303 (02-08-2020), Magmalis (01-29-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020), spookyfish (01-23-2020), Waterloomike (01-24-2020)

My favorite firearms moment. in November 2015, my father passed away and I was helping my mother clean out the house in preparation for her to move in with my sister. Up to this point, I has been under the impression that my fathers firearms had been stolen and not replaced. Little did I know that he still had them all. I was ecstatic that I was going to be able to keep them, once I had secured my PAL, which I did in March of 2016. I inherited my fathers 1981 Air Rifle, 1981 Cooey Single Barrel Break Action 12ga shotgun, 1918 303 Lee Enfield Sporterized rifle, and a brand new, never fired Ruger 10/22. Best firearms moment of my life!

15. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Lazagna

Aniest (01-24-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020), Rory McCanuck (01-24-2020), Waterloomike (01-24-2020)

I know I shouldn't reply to this thread, but this...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazagna View Post
    I inherited my fathers 1981 Air Rifle, 1981 Cooey Single Barrel Break Action 12ga shotgun, 1918 303 Lee Enfield Sporterized rifle, and a brand new, never fired Ruger 10/22. Best firearms moment of my life!
    ... both warms my heart...

... and when I seen those types of firearms paraded by police from buy-backs and turn-ins breaks that heart.

Thankfully, your story gets to warm it.
    Anything and everything I post that is not a quote, link and/or attributable to another source is my personal opinion only and no entity(s) and/or person(s) can be held liable for it for any reason unless they are the author of said opinion, link, quote and/or attributable comment; and nothing I post may be shared, spread and/or quoted outside of this website without my legal authorization unless covered by the end user agreement, terms of use, policy and/or rules of this website.

17. The Following User Liked This Post By Aniest

MarkR (02-22-2020)

My favorite firearms moment was when I was a kid and I got my grandfathers Cooey model 60.

46 Years later and I still have it. I plan on passing it down to my grandson as well.

19. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By 686 Shooter

MarkR (02-22-2020), Rory McCanuck (01-28-2020)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast