Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My favorite firearms moment is when i took my 6 year old son and his buddy to the gun club and there they got to fire a .22, .38. 357 .44mag & a 12 guage...they still talk about that day 40 years later...

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By bramptonmike

MarkR (01-15-2020), Waterloomike (01-12-2020)

I NEVER win these things, but here goes anyway. I grew up in a home where we didn't have firearms. I was introduced to them at 21 years of age by my wife's uncle. I went on a hunt with him and my brother in law in the States and we had a great time. I was the only one there that had never really shot a gun, I had shot a .22 once, but never anything higher powered. Because of that I was getting picked on a bit by my wife's uncle and my brother in law, both of them are American and had a lot of time handling firearms. I remember holding up the 30/06 for the first time, they made a comment about getting to see some scope eye. To make a long story short we went out, and we were out in a hunting blind, and there happened to be a bunch of does galloping through the field we were overlooking. My wife's uncle handed me the rife and told me to shoot one, so I brought the scope to my eye and boom...... I shot a doe and dropped her instantly. I bet you thought I was going to say I smoked myself in the eye... Well I didn't, but on my first hunt and my first time shooting a centre fire rifle I was successful in harvesting a deer. To make the story even better, I hit the one I was aiming at!

4. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Shaner

Aniest (01-19-2020), FALover (01-13-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020), Waterloomike (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
    I NEVER win these things, but here goes anyway. I grew up in a home where we didn't have firearms. I was introduced to them at 21 years of age by my wife's uncle. I went on a hunt with him and my brother in law in the States and we had a great time. I was the only one there that had never really shot a gun, I had shot a .22 once, but never anything higher powered. Because of that I was getting picked on a bit by my wife's uncle and my brother in law, both of them are American and had a lot of time handling firearms. I remember holding up the 30/06 for the first time, they made a comment about getting to see some scope eye. To make a long story short we went out, and we were out in a hunting blind, and there happened to be a bunch of does galloping through the field we were overlooking. My wife's uncle handed me the rife and told me to shoot one, so I brought the scope to my eye and boom...... I shot a doe and dropped her instantly. I bet you thought I was going to say I smoked myself in the eye... Well I didn't, but on my first hunt and my first time shooting a centre fire rifle I was successful in harvesting a deer. To make the story even better, I hit the one I was aiming at!
    Also that day we saved a baby kitten whose leg was stuck under a log and donated $500 to a charity of your choice if that makes it sound any better HAHA!

Bladesmith
    When I was 10 I convinced my father to let me shoot his shotgun. I can't remember the make but it was an old single shot goose gun. We walked back into the woods on the appointed day. Dad didn't realize how fast I could load at the time. He handed me the gun and I dropped in a shell closed cocked and raised the gun in one motion. Dad's said "make sure you..." bang. I touched off the gun about 2" from my shoulder. The old girl rang my bell but I stayed on my feet. With tears in my eyes I asked for another round. Dad held out a round but this time he didn't let go until he finished saying "hold that thing tight against your shoulder this time" I was hooked after that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Crumbz View Post
    One of my favourite moments was about three years ago at Abbotsford Fish and Game. Took my wife to go shooting and meet friends, I hopped out of the car and heard a strange sound coming from the range we were walking up to, turns out there was a Vancouver ERT member who was practising with his suppressed un-neutered (single, 3 end burst, full auto) HK MP5, and suppresses AR15. After watching him for a bit I walked up to him and struck up a conversation and casually slipped that I would love to shoot the MP5. Needless to say I got a quick demo, loaded up two 30 round mags with ammunition, gave the charging handle the die hard slap and got to shred a couple silhouettes utilizing the selective fire options! What a blast!
    Cool -but I wonder if he realized that it is illegal to discharge an automatic fire arm at a section 29 range?
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

my favourite is when both my Wife and teenage Daughter shot handguns for the first time - Wife shooting a tt33, putting the whole mag in the center, than repeating that with a CZ Shadow and Daughter after shooting a slew of different pistol chose the beretta m9 as her favourite.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By srdiver

Magmalis (01-15-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

One of my favorite moment's was buying a S&W 422 handgun at the Swift Current gun show. I carried it from the dealer over to a desk that was manned by a couple RCMP officers from the local detachment. They took down the serial #, looked at my FAC, and sent me on my way home with 'have a nice day', handgun in hand. The good old days...

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grain

Aniest (01-19-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

I just recently took a person in there 40's who is a vegetarian who has never shot a gun before to the range and we shot pistols a AR15 and a gsg-16 we had a blast and we took out every packet of ooze on that angry gorilla target with the gsg. By the next time we saw each other they gave me a bag game style targets a gift card and a pack of bass pro shop licorice. (And the better half said they were running around like a little kid with cash at a candy store saying I can't wait till next time)

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Blackblur

Aniest (01-19-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020)

My most memorable event was when I was about 12 or 13 (almost 50 years ago) We were no strangers to guns and had access to black powder ($5.00/lb at Taylor's Store in Sebringville Ontario. We had built a couple muzzle loading cannons in my cousins fabrication shop and to date, the largest was 1" pipe, all were fired successfully and a lot of fun so... we decided to go bigger. We found a piece of 2" seamless pipe about 30" long; welded a breach block in; had a piece of steel tubing that was a light drive fit over it and we reinforced about 16" of the breach area with this, then welded an external breach block over the original for extra strength. We drilled in a touch-hole, and counter sunk it to hold some powder for priming. It had a couple of pieces of 3/8" rod welded to it so it pointed about 50 or 60 degrees in the air.

We needed a projectile; the week before we had been firing wheel-nuts through an old, derelict Plymouth car ('61?) with our 1" cannon, and recalled it had bullet shaped rubber hard stops on the front end suspension. We got one of those. It was too big to fit so we took it over to the course emery stone and ground it down.

We loaded it with about a half ounce (by volume) FFFg; drove in two pages of crumpled newspaper for a wad, then drove the bullet shaped piece of rubber against the wad with a piece of 1 1/4" pipe and a 2 1/2 lb hand sledge.

We primed it, cast lots, and I got the honors of touching it off. Used a broom handle wrapped in wired on rag on the end, soaked in diesel fuel.

Judas, Larry and Hosepipe, what a noise! Spruce boughs and one limb fell out of one of trees behind the welding shop; one of the windows was broken from the concussion, and our ears were ringing (mine still do; a bit of a legacy).

The branch on the ground was between 4 or 5" in diameter, but torn like like it was ripped off.

...and did we ever get schidt!

We were forbidden from building more cannons, and were limited to only "real" guns by our parents from that day forward.

Other than my hearing (and there are other contributing factors, I can assure you) no humans, and only one tree was injured.

BTW, the sharp edges on a wheel nut help them go through and through an old Plymouth better than a 2 3/4" 12 ga. slug.

These events all took place in a small village (not on our farm) in southern Ontario. No one called the cops either. Good times!!!

15. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By MarkR

Aniest (01-19-2020), kennymo (01-16-2020), Magmalis (01-20-2020), Waterloomike (01-15-2020)

I rented a villa out that way on a garlic farm. Nice area. Saw turkeys and deer. No cannons.

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

17. The Following User Liked This Post By Waterloomike

MarkR (02-22-2020)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast